Sewer Systems In Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I know that filtering 'clean' water using straw was done in Africa only a few decades back. What I don't know is whether that was only part of the process or not - but Grandma swears by a hot cup of tea, so I suspect the straw was to remove anything solid and boiling dealt with microbes etc.

Reed-beds are well-established sewage treatment system provided winters are not hard enough to freeze the system for weeks

http://www.wte-ltd.co.uk/reed_bed_sewage_treatment.html

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Reed-beds are well-established sewage treatment system provided winters are not hard enough to freeze the system for weeks

http://www.wte-ltd.co.uk/reed_bed_sewage_treatment.html

Thanks for the link! I am amazed at how interesting I find this stuff. Who'da thunk it?

I like that the article was explicit about the system's pros and cons. Very honest and easy to read. It's seems suitable for the climate of the area, but I do wonder about the amount of power it says is required, and if it would be a viable option for societies who haven't yet grasped the power of electricity.

An intriguing natural alternative in the modern day, though! How badly does it stink, I want to know. That seems to be a common problem among natural alternatives in a variety of fields. :tongue

ravaena

Registered
Reaction score
So, my book involves a scene with sewers and this post made me freak out that I had everything wrong, but no.... upon further research my scene makes perfect sense and can remain as is. Whew. On the bright side, I now know exactly how my world's sewage works.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
So, my book involves a scene with sewers and this post made me freak out that I had everything wrong, but no.... upon further research my scene makes perfect sense and can remain as is. Whew. On the bright side, I now know exactly how my world's sewage works.

Haha! So glad I'm making a worthwhile contribution to this community. :e2hammer:

I hardly think this is mandatory worldbuilding or anything, but I look at it this way: the more I understand a thing, the easier it will be for me to make something interesting go wrong.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Thanks for the link! I am amazed at how interesting I find this stuff. Who'da thunk it?

I like that the article was explicit about the system's pros and cons. Very honest and easy to read. It's seems suitable for the climate of the area, but I do wonder about the amount of power it says is required, and if it would be a viable option for societies who haven't yet grasped the power of electricity.

An intriguing natural alternative in the modern day, though! How badly does it stink, I want to know. That seems to be a common problem among natural alternatives in a variety of fields. :tongue

When I was in York (in the UK) a number of years ago, there was a museum that had, among many other fascinating things, an exhibit about toilets through the ages. It was actually very interesting, even though I thought the "realistic" touch in one of the outhouse displays was possibly a bit much. I purchased a book in their gift shop (as a joke present form my brother) on the history of sewer systems and the flush toilet. I actually read it on the plane coming home and learned quite a bit :D

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
When I was in York (in the UK) a number of years ago, there was a museum that had, among many other fascinating things, an exhibit about toilets through the ages. It was actually very interesting, even though I thought the "realistic" touch in one of the outhouse displays was possibly a bit much. I purchased a book in their gift shop (as a joke present form my brother) on the history of sewer systems and the flush toilet. I actually read it on the plane coming home and learned quite a bit :D

:ROFL: That's awesome. I would totally read that book.

Status
Not open for further replies.