Did you choose your genre, or did your genre choose you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering about writing different genres. Occasionally someone will say "I write xxx AND xxx and have tried xxx" but usually I hear,

"I write YA paranormal."
"I write erotica."
"I write mysteries."
"I write SF."
"I write romance."
"I write horror."
"I write contemporary lit."
"I write ___."

And that's that. I wonder - do writers pick their genre, or does their genre pick them?

I naturally gravitate toward writing mysteries - maybe because I've read them since forever - but I've not been very successful at that, no matter how I define success.

I have a YA paranormal brewing in my head. I've put the basic premise down on paper but haven't progressed past that.

Many years ago I started writing a romance, but didn't finish it.

Do you write in more than one genre?

If no, why not? What keeps you focused on the one?

If yes, how does that work for you? Are they both (all) satisfying to you?

Or maybe, do you write in a different one from your "natural" one because the other sells better?

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Stories just come to me. I write them, submit to publisher and they decide what category it fits in. In most cases my books straddle two or three categories. I go where my Muse carries me, she's a controlling little thing and drag's me where she thinks I should go.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
YA chose me! I know this because I set out to write an adult fantasy, and was convinced it was an adult fantasy, but several people told me it was YA. I got through two more books before I finally admitted they were all YA. I can't seem to not write in teenagers' voices.

I do hop sub-genres, though.

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
It kind of chose me. I try to write realistic fiction (stuff not involving fantasy creatures or magic) and then... boom. There's a werewolf.

I don't mind, really. It's fun!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think I chose my genre(s). Growing up, I always loved fantasy and science fiction, and it's still what I love. So that's what I write. The bigger issue for me is figuring out age category. I have MG, YA, and adult ideas.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
I just started writing what I liked to read, which has a fairly narrow focus. But I don't write genre fiction, so I guess the criteria are broader. Does it have people in it? Great. Are they doing stuff? Perfect.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I read mostly fantasy. That seems to be what comes out when I try to write.

I'm not saying I'll never write a romance, or a mystery. I'm just saying that, if I wrote it, the killer would probably be a wizard.

(Seriously, though, I don't like putting a box around what I might do in the future. Writing in one genre doesn't preclude writing in others. Unless that genre is "crud." I started writing crud, and can't seem to break out into anything else...)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Does it have people in it? Great. Are they doing stuff? Perfect.

I fully expect that, somewhere, someone has written an "anti-epic" about a discarded sock.

At least, I hope so - someone has to create the genre, or I spent ten years writing five volumes of The Lint-Fluff's Lament for nothing... ;)

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
I've never thought about genre before writing. The only time I've thought about it was after I finished a story, and I always arrived at the same conclusion: none of my stuff ever fits neatly into a genre.

Feldkamp

Registered
Reaction score
Both, I guess? I gravitate towards writing what I enjoy reading and reading what I enjoy fantasizing about - basically all urban fantasy and science fiction.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I write the kind of stories I like to read. So in that sense, I choose the genre I write.

sportourer1

Registered
Reaction score
I think it chose me on the basis of the genre I most often read. That said I am not sure my novels fit any genre.

Reaction score
I like reading a number of genres although my favorite is fantasy. Epic fantasy on another world and not so much urban. With a paucity of good fantasy stories out there, though, I decided to take my ideas for the type of story I like best and put it to paper. So I have to say the genre chose me. I have ideas for stories from other genre, but I haven't worked up a desire to write them. Yet.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
A little of both. I tend to write in genres and age categories that I prefer to read. Sometimes, though, I get an idea that doesn't fit what I've written before or even what I've read a lot of. If the latter, I then go and read a bunch in that genre/age category.

I've written YA, MG, chapter books, and adult
I've written fantasy of different stripes, SF, contemporary (poorly), and even literary (with a hint of fantasy)

I will probably never write romance or erotica because I have no interest in reading those genres. I like mysteries, but more of the classic Agatha Christie kind, so I probably won't be writing that genre. I prefer thrillers as movies. I occasionally have a craving for historical, but would never be confident enough writing it. And so on.

More often than not, I read and write MG and YA SFF. These are the genres and age groups I grew up reading, and I never grew out of them. I've found that if I try to write contemporary, I almost always throw something fantastic in by the end (It's a reality show about dancing, but, hey, there's a ghost somewhere in there). I'm pretty diverse in fantasy, but for SF, I so far have stuck to a single 'verse.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what the writer knows best & what kind of story inspires the most imagination & creativity.

I think Pirates are cool. I wouldn't mind watching most any pirate film, or reading pirate novels. However, if I tried to create a story about pirates, I'd get nothing.

Other things really don't appeal to me much at all. I would assume it's the generally the same with anybody.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
As I've only ever gotten ideas for fantasy and historical novels, I shall go with 'they chose me.' ;)

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
I can trace my interest in horror all the way back to my childhood, but I'd be lying if I said I would've chosen something else for myself.

Andrea Rittschof

Registered
Reaction score
When I started writing, I only wrote science fiction/fantasy. That was what I read the most and loved, so it was what I wrote. As I wrote more, romance started creeping in and I also found a had characters with a lot of diversity so I write whatever comes to me and don't worry about the genre too much. I have experimented writing different genres to study how they work and to see if I can find one that fits me more than another. What I found was that I could write other genres that I didn't think I could, like mystery or suspense. And I think knowing that will help to add those elements to whatever main genre I end up in. But most of my ideas that come to me are fantasy....so that is what I write the most.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I chose. I think I'd read about 5 romances in my life before I started writing in the genre, but I figured it was a good place to start - big, voracious market - so I did my homework (reading) and started writing in that genre.

Now that I've got more experience, I'm branching out and exploring other genres.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what you mean by a genre choosing me? Genres can't choose anything. I decide what I write before I sit down, or the writing either wouldn't get done, or it would get done poorly.

ThatWolfAgain

Registered
Reaction score
When I was younger I read a mix of fantasy and horror. That soon bled into horror being my genre of choice, my favorite being horror with supernatural elements. It naturally followed that that's what I write. Not everything is straight horror, but there are always horror elements even if everything isn't a creepy nightmare fest.

Status
Not open for further replies.