Greetings from Mercia from Mercia

Mercia McMahon

Registered
Reaction score
My name is Mercia and I live in London (the original version) which was once owned by the kingdom of Mercia. Last November I took myself off to Seattle for the winter and after 37 years of trying finally completed a novel. Part of the delay in getting to that point was worrying that an agent would try to control my writing and how I live my life. So I took the DIY route and followed in the footsteps of Virginia Woolf (my publishing house even has an address in Bloomsbury). She set up Hogarth Press to avoid the Tyrrany of the Editors, I was much more worried about the agents (apologies to any agents here, I am sure that you are wonderful people, but really you would not want to manage someone as opinionated as me).

I also write non-fiction in fact my first completed work was my PhD which was completed in 1998, more recently I followed up my novel with a piece of creative non-fiction (on the perils of social media activism).

I am a shy extrovert (a much misunderstood species, and yes, we do exist). So I might post often or I might sit shyly in the corner cuddling a cup of tea and hoping that no-one notices me.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

F.L.N

The Old Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Merca,

Welcome to AW! I'm from the Seattle area and spent an exasperating few hours at Heathrow in July. I'm not so sure about the 'economy of size' now.

wotcherH

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mercia! Welcome to AW, and congrats on finishing that book. :)

A_Read

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm new here, too!

Love your name, btw. Always thought Mercia would make a lovely name, but the husband didn't go for it...