Hello, my name is Dane

DangerOLeary

Type A Personality
Registered
Reaction score
Website
daneoleary.com
Hello fellow members of AW. Since I'm new here, I figured I'd take a moment to introduce myself.

My name is Dane O'Leary. Friends (and my academic advisor) call me Danger. I'm a writer, an atheist, and a graphic designer, in that order.

I'm kind of a renaissance man, a Jack-of-all-trades. My degrees are in psychology and anthropology with minors and additional study in graphic and web design, public relations, creative writing, journalism, and biology. My family hails from the Baltimore-Washington metro area, but I've also lived in Brooklyn, Virginia, and Mississippi. You could say I'm a Yankee with a love for the South.

I have moderate obsessions with coffee -- good coffee I should say -- and portmanteaus. My favorite books are Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, Death from the Skies by Dr Philip Plait, among others, mostly non-fiction and classic literature.

I'm also quite fond of music. You rarely find me not listening to it or wearing my headphones. My musical taste is eclectic and varied, but I tend to listen to alternative, indie-pop (think Tegan and Sara), rock, hip-hop, some mainstream bubblegum-esque pop, and rock and punk-rock from the late 60s and 70s.

I don't watch much television although I do like American Horror Story. For movies, I like horror, action, thriller, and comedy. Sometimes drama can be okay if the romance doesn't make me ill and it's not based on a book by Nicholas Sparks.

As for my writing background, I've been writing since I could hold a pencil. It started out as short stories, frequently I'd pick out the bits and pieces of stories that I liked and put them together into my own stories. As I got older and gained more life experience, my writing developed and I noticed I was writing either non-fiction essays or autobiographical fiction, which I'm told reads like a memoir but it only ever inspired by my life. I don't write verbatim retellings.

I've been working on my first novel, an autobiographical literary fiction, for close to five years now. I worked on it for my first year participating in NaNoWriMo in 2011 and although I met the 50k word goal, I didn't finish the novel. As I got closer to the end, it got harder and harder to write; I knew how I wanted and needed it to end, but it just wouldn't come together. So I decided to start over and write it from the beginning again. This process repeated a couple more times, and each time I'd get stuck earlier and earlier. After some thought and receiving such amazing praise for the excerpts of that first manuscript that I've posted around the web, I've decided to go back to that first manuscript and try once again to finish it.

I have several friends who've published, both independent and traditional, and they've all told me to start a platform, to put my writing out there, gain readers, create a following. They've said many publishers today look for writers who can self-promote and market themselves and their work. So I took my old, neglected blog, gave it a face-lift, and am in the process of making it my writer's page, a website containing all my writing that will consist of: movie, book and music reviews; science and tech articles; writing tips, guides and updates; personal anecdotes; thoughts on the creative and writing processes; among other things.

Right now you can find my blog here, but I plan to have a new domain for it sometime next week.

[For future reference, my current URL is http://DaneAlexanderWriting.blogspot.com]

I'm happy to be here and meet all of you, and I look forward to sharing my work and reading some of yours as well.

See you around.
Dane

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Dances With Words

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I wish I shared an obsession with coffee, as I've got to be the only person in my family who doesn't drink it, but it's always and forever tea for me. :)

annapalooza

Learning about time management
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I have a problem with starting Nanos, meeting word count, and then leaving them to gather dust in my digital file cabinet. Good luck on your manuscript!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Dane - and I hope you find this a comfortable, worthwhile place to be.

Magnanimoe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dane,
You have an interesting bio. From what I've read, having a "platform" is considered essential for the non-fiction writer but not for the fiction writer. Maybe don't put too much pressure on yourself to get a great blog going, but have fun with it.

DangerOLeary

Type A Personality
Registered
Reaction score
Website
daneoleary.com
Welcome! I have a problem with starting Nanos, meeting word count, and then leaving them to gather dust in my digital file cabinet. Good luck on your manuscript!

My issue really isn't with being able to finish. I totally could, but it's a matter of what else I have going on and whether I actually have the time.

Hi Dane, welcome! Nice introduction :)

Thank you :)

Hi Dane,
You have an interesting bio. From what I've read, having a "platform" is considered essential for the non-fiction writer but not for the fiction writer. Maybe don't put too much pressure on yourself to get a great blog going, but have fun with it.

I'd actually thought the same thing. Several friends of mind have written novels and I have a friend who is two books into a five-part fantasy series (which is excellent by the way--five elemental gods and a one-armed bartending personal assistant on some pretty groovy adventures) and most are telling me publishers prefer even their fiction authors to have some level of established readership. It also probably depends on the publisher too, but either way I figure it wouldn't hurt to be able to say "... and I have a website where I publish all my original content that gets # amount of traffic of a daily/weekly/etc basis" in a query letter.

Thanks again for the kind words of welcome, everyone.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dane, and welcome. I'm right there with you on the coffee. It isn't a good day unless there's at least one perfect cup of coffee, time to read and time to right. I always thought I'd write mysteries, but turns out my market is knitting. Who knew? Writing is a crooked path to follow.

DangerOLeary

Type A Personality
Registered
Reaction score
Website
daneoleary.com
Hello and welcome Dane! I just took a look at your blog and made a comment on a post.

I really like the blog format!

Hmm, I never got a notification of any new comments and don't see anything from you, unless you're the post on the 'napping whale' article I put up yesterday morning. Wait, I just check and I found it. Happy to inspire fellow coffee enthusiasts to imbibe :)

And thank you for the compliment on the "look." I worked pretty hard on it and wanted it to be very organized and easy to navigate. I'm right on the cusp of being ready for my new domain. Stay tuned!

Hi Dane, and welcome. I'm right there with you on the coffee. It isn't a good day unless there's at least one perfect cup of coffee, time to read and time to right. I always thought I'd write mysteries, but turns out my market is knitting. Who knew? Writing is a crooked path to follow.

I totally agree, only my coffee consumption borders on obsessive and excessive sometimes. But I don't care, I'm in a long-term relationship with coffee and that's just the way it's going to be.

New posts yesterday for anyone interested.... Scientists find a sleepy whale taking a nap, and tons of info on super-Earths and exoplanets.

Last edited:

wotcherH

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dane! I'm also in the midst of writing (what is my first) novel, and I think it was a good decision for you to have a blog up and running. I'll probably do the same eventually, though, right now I'm still in uni and don't really have the time for it, heh.
Your site looks great, by the way! :)

DangerOLeary

Type A Personality
Registered
Reaction score
Website
daneoleary.com
Hi Dane! I'm also in the midst of writing (what is my first) novel, and I think it was a good decision for you to have a blog up and running. I'll probably do the same eventually, though, right now I'm still in uni and don't really have the time for it, heh.
Your site looks great, by the way! :)

Thank you very much, I appreciate the positive feedback. I've been getting lots of great responses from the new look and content, which is great. And I've noticed as I'm being more diligent about sharing when I post new content and sort of being more "vocal" about my presence, my readership is slowly but surely increasing.

I really appreciate the friendly welcomes from everyone. I feel like this community is going to be a great resource.

Last edited: