The Bouncy Castle in Space

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the contracts, Joy! Getting paid to do...well, almost anything...feels good!

Lately it's been the adults, not the kids, saying the crazy stuff at my school.

Mother of a 2nd grader suspended for choking 2 students: I don't understand. What's the definition of choking?

Mother of a student with the worst eczema you've ever seen: But it says "School Lunch Pack" right on the chips. Why would they say that if chips weren't good for you?

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
MsJudy, that's crazy, but is it sad that it doesn't surprise me? I remember going to the park with the kids a few years ago. We met up with someone in my son's class, and at one point I pulled out the carrot sticks I'd packed for a snack. Other Mom looks at me and says, "How do you get your kids to eat THOSE? My kids won't eat anything but cookies." My response was that I bought the groceries in the house, so they ate what I fed them.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Joy, congrats on the contracts! That's wonderful.

And Judy, are you trying to tell me that chips aren't healthy? Next you'll be saying that I should limit my intake of candy. (Fruit is sometimes called nature's candy, and fruit is healthy, so candy must be healthy too. It's like man-made fruit. Right?)

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL: Ferret, if only. Didn't you hear the latest on sugar? Researchers at UCSF say that sugar is the root of all evil and should be regulated like alcohol and tobacco.

And then there was the girl in the UK who collapsed. Turns out she's eaten nothing but Chicken McNuggets her entire life. She hasn't eaten a fruit or vegetable ever! Her mother said she wouldn't eat anything else. Really? Come on.

Anyway - Joy - congratulations! That sounds both daunting and fantastic. Good luck!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Joy, that is seriously awesome.

Had my all time favorite hilarious kid quote yesterday at school: I've started working with a new 4th grader, a pretty bright but extremely hyperactive guy who has never ever ever been persuaded to sit down and do any schoolwork (and also spent all of last year at home watching tv). He likes to do well, but he's had quite a shock at me making him apply himself, so we have our ups and downs together.

Anyway, we were outside and he was running around blowing off steam and complaining about his many perceived injustices. He was saying he needed a break from me because I was bossing him around too much, and he was ready to go home, and I was always following him around at school, and he needed two days off from being around me. And then he frowned and scrunched up his little fists and shook them in the air and said, "You're in my dreams!"

Any big bouncy plans for the weekend? We are having a Superbowl party here, tho I am only interested in the pizza and not the football :D

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
And then he frowned and scrunched up his little fists and shook them in the air and said, "You're in my dreams!"

Any big bouncy plans for the weekend? We are having a Superbowl party here, tho I am only interested in the pizza and not the football :D

That's awesome. Especially with the fist shaking.

We are not football people and have no big plans for the weekend. But that's okay - we're spending every second planning next weekend, in which my daughter turns six. Yesterday I went to Goodwill and got a bunch of cool little bottles and pots for her main gift: a potions kit!

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. The job doesn't start until the end of the month, so I am obsessively revising the WIP in the meantime.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Kitty, we sure could use you at my school... sigh.

My cute (now that it's over) story for this week... One of the first graders in my reading class is very, very, very immature. He's pretty capable academically, but still does things like hide all the crayons so no one else can use them, and crawl under the desks so they won't find him...etc.

So he was supposed to write 4 sentences independently, using the four spelling words we've been practicing. I spy him goofing around with another kid, so I get his paper out of the finished-work basket and check it. He hasn't written anything, he's just scribbled on all 4 lines!

Me: Seriously? Did you really think that was okay? Did you really think I wasn't going to check your work?
Him: Well...yeah!

*headdesk*

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing the million loads of laundry today.

Hey, is it okay if I mention here that I'm giving away a signed copy of Wolf Storm over on my blog? If not, then disregard this notice and head over to the kidblog thread instead.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
You can't make this stuff up...

So...my 12yo got lunchtime detention/garbage duty yesterday.

Now, here are some things that I know for a fact have happened at his school in the past few years:

1) Daily pantsings
2) Garbage cans set on fire
3) Pipe bomb exploded in the office
4) Kids selling pot on campus
5) Kids making out in the baseball dugout (other girls found out, called make-out girl a slut on Facebook, make-out girl tried to kill herself)

So...what horrible crime did my wretched, miserable delinquent commit?

He...*shudder*...he *can't make myself say it*...he... *gulp*...walked out the entrance of the library!

Yep. My son got an office referral for walking out the wrong door of the library.

Where did I go wrong?

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing the million loads of laundry today.

Hey, is it okay if I mention here that I'm giving away a signed copy of Wolf Storm over on my blog? If not, then disregard this notice and head over to the kidblog thread instead.

Of course you can mention that here! This is our social thread. If we can talk about laundry, we can certainly talk about awesome books and blogs. :D

Now, here are some things that I know for a fact have happened at his school in the past few years:

1) Daily pantsings
5) Kids making out in the baseball dugout (other girls found out, called make-out girl a slut on Facebook, make-out girl tried to kill herself)

He...*shudder*...he *can't make myself say it*...he... *gulp*...walked out the entrance of the library!

Yep. My son got an office referral for walking out the wrong door of the library.

Where did I go wrong?

Oh, my, Judy. He's lucky they don't paddle kids any more. :rolleyes:

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, lawd. Bless his poor sweet delinquent heart...

Today in science class one of the fourth grade kids cut such an enormous and loud and repellent fart that the teacher asked him to come outside to tell him privately that if he needed to do that again, he should feel welcome to step out of the classroom to do so :roll:

Naughty student's naughtiness continues unabated. This afternoon I started chess club (it's rawther a small club) and it was a lot of fun. These kids are gonna keep me on my toes, I can tell!

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score

1) Daily pantsings

Where did I go wrong?

Aw. That definitely belongs in the "Life's Not Fair" file. Just be glad he didn't go up the down staircase.

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Wooooooooo! :e2woo:

I finally found the perfect cat for hubby's valentine present. For the past year, all I've heard was. "Maybe I can have a cat now?" He was suppose to get a kitty for Christmas, but we were low on cash, and I didn't want to adopt another animal until I knew we would be able to afford one.

Exclamation of happiness over. How is everyone? :)

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay new kittehs!

I am enjoying a much-deserved beer after 3/5ths of a CRAZY week.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
ooh, I wants me a kitty!

but I can't have one cuz my terrier would grab its tail and drag it around the house.

So give your new one a big hug for me, 'aky?

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, new kitteys are so wonderful. Usually. My husband just left to go pick up my MIL's cat from the vet. MIL is in the hospital, very ill, and we don't know if, or when, she'll come home. So Chipper is coming to live with us for now.

Don't know what my two inside cats and my dog are going to think of him. He's usually very friendly, but my girls can be less than nice if you rile them. The dog usually takes everything in stride, and she loves all of our cats.

Judy - all I can say is, wow, that's pretty unbelievable.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Cute kitty, Kidd!
Sissy, Chipper is the name of a dog in my WIP. Hope the new kitty fits in easily with the other pets.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
So, Chipper seems to fit right in - he slept on my PILLOW - All Night! And the little bugger snores. Kind of a wheeze, whine thing. Drove me nuts all night.

Dog is tolerating him, Molly slept at the foot of my bed as always, but has growled at everyone all day today. Sissybaby finally came out of hiding by midafternoon, but is definitely Not. A. Happy. Kitty.

On another note, is anyone here familiar with Triberr? Does it make sense to anyone?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
So, Chipper seems to fit right in - he slept on my PILLOW - All Night! And the little bugger snores. Kind of a wheeze, whine thing. Drove me nuts all night.

[snipped]

On another note, is anyone here familiar with Triberr? Does it make sense to anyone?

Triberr, no. But I did have a cat that liked to sleep on my pillow. She had to go live with my mother, and so thereafter, slept on her pillow. When my mother passed, the cat moved to my dad's pillow. 'Cept my dad snores and snoozes his alarm clock 12 times in the mornings. The cat hated it, so she would sit on his pillow right above his head and reach down and daintily snag one of his nostrils and pull back until he woke up and turned off the alarm.

It was love.

I'd bring her back to my house, but my dog chases skittish, little things.