Rejectomancy

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Gah! Had an end of the year rejectolanche this weekend, including one of my hopeful middlers.

10-day from Innsmouth Free Press
10-day from Waylines
25-day from Kazka Press
89-day from Penumbra

Three out of the four were personals, so that's good, eh? But man, it's rough when they tumble in together like that.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, J. W. Alden, that's hard to hear. But congrats on the personals. Good thing tonight is NYEve! Have a happy one!

AkaSylvia, so far I've racked up three Rs from GT. Harrumph! ;-) Lovely journal / hard market. Don't be discouraged!

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Gah! Had an end of the year rejectolanche this weekend, including one of my hopeful middlers.

10-day from Innsmouth Free Press
10-day from Waylines
25-day from Kazka Press
89-day from Penumbra

Three out of the four were personals, so that's good, eh? But man, it's rough when they tumble in together like that.

Ouch! Well, out with the old and in with the new. In other words, better to end the old year that way than start a new one with a rejectionalanche. Hope they all sell in 2013!

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Snuck in one last rejection in 2012. 1 day form from Word Riot. Here's to lots of braggage in 2013 :)

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Oh ouch on the rejectolanche! At least it's a fresh start for 2013. :)

No rejections this week! But I'm thinking I'll hear any minute now regarding the Crossed Genres November theme. *bites lip*

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
First rejection for the New Year - 11-day personal R from Waylines. They've gone to pro rates, give personal R's (mine was actually very nice) and respond quickly - I'll definitely sub to them again.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
A dream-crushing 132-day R from Bl@ck Static to start off the year! And since this story is really not speculative at all, I submitted it to Glimmer Train today. My first foray into full-on literary. Now that's intimidating.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First rejection for the New Year - 11-day personal R from Waylines. They've gone to pro rates, give personal R's (mine was actually very nice) and respond quickly - I'll definitely sub to them again.

Yes, they respond very quickly (a week or two, generally) and offer mostly personal responses. Definitely a place I like to submit to. (and should probably be hearing back soon on my current sub; at 11 days there myself.)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
It's been crickets for me since December 17th. I'm sure the editors will be back at it soon enough.

Oh, I was right! Two rejections from Stupefying Stories (for two different stories). One was a form R, one personal.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
A dream-crushing 132-day R from Bl@ck Static to start off the year! And since this story is really not speculative at all, I submitted it to Glimmer Train today. My first foray into full-on literary. Now that's intimidating.

Arghh. Sorry to hear this, Michael. Hate those super long waits.

Best of luck at GT!

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
I got a personal R on the same story from Asimovs and it had been accepted by GUD (until I finally withdrew it) so I'm confident it's a solid story. A good story, even. I'm just not sure where to find it a home.

Aggy, will try Strange Horizons once they open up in January

Hope you were quick! I had a story I planned to sub to SH when they re-opened. When I looked in the morning, they hadn't updated their website to saying they were officially open and when I checked in the evening, they were closed again until Feb 1st!

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
When I looked in the morning, they hadn't updated their website to saying they were officially open and when I checked in the evening, they were closed again until Feb 1st!

You didn't miss a submissions window or anything, Eliza. Strange Horizons just pushed back the reopening until Feb. According to their blog their publishing schedule is full up until July, so that's why.

I was pretty disappointed though!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Hope you were quick! I had a story I planned to sub to SH when they re-opened. When I looked in the morning, they hadn't updated their website to saying they were officially open and when I checked in the evening, they were closed again until Feb 1st!

Yes. I saw that too. Grrr. Trying to decide if I should just wait another few weeks 'til they open up or find somewhere else. I think I've already been through all the other top markets that take SF stories at nearly 7k words. >_<

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
You didn't miss a submissions window or anything, Eliza. Strange Horizons just pushed back the reopening until Feb. According to their blog their publishing schedule is full up until July, so that's why.

Oh - thanks - I hadn't seen that. I tried to sub there nearly a year ago during the 'we accept stuff until we have enough, then we randomly shut down' thing. I had to put a submission in at midnight their time, just to get it in! I figured it was something like that again. Oh well. They'll be worth haggling for a spot if they end up liking the story.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score

heh. When they open it will be a tsunami. Staying closed might be counter-productive (she said as she perused her "stable")

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Since New Year, I've received R's from DSF, On Spec and Stupefying Stories. (A very useful comment though from On Spec.) Can't sub again till I get back from holidays. Enjoying my holiday though!

Datepalm

Registered
Reaction score
11 day R from Ideomancer. Not sure if it's a form or not. ("liked the voice but the genre elements were too conventional".) What am I to write on my handy dandy new post-Duotrope spreadsheet? *head scratcher*.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
11 day R from Ideomancer. Not sure if it's a form or not. ("liked the voice but the genre elements were too conventional".) What am I to write on my handy dandy new post-Duotrope spreadsheet? *head scratcher*.

I would consider that a personal, even if it's brief.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Two agent rejections this evening. Almost the first time ever to get more than one rejection on anything in the same day. :p

Aggy, slow subber

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First of the year: 145 form R from The Green Man Anthology. Made it through the first round of Rs, long wait for a form... Oh, well!