At what point is it ok to use the F word with editors/agents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
After a few weeks?

After they continue to misinterpret one's (or two's) genius for the fifth month running?

Never?

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Never. Don't burn your bridges.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
When Jack London got mad at a newspaper editor he went to the office and roughed him up along with several of his staff who tried to intervene. The paper hadn't paid him for some stories he wrote. They did after that. Maybe try something similar. G'luck.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
At the point where you not only don't want to work with them again, but don't mind the possibility of being blackballed with any and all friends, colleagues, and associates of them.

They say discretion is the better part of valour. If you're having issues with an agent that prompt this kind of reaction, I'd suggest cutting ties ASAP. No good can come from a relationship this poisonous.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
At the point where they need you more than you need them. Which is not now.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my initial thought isn't about using it to express anger toward the agent, because that's not how I use the F word. I would say in non-angry contexts, it's okay when you have a close enough relationship with the agent that you know they get your communication style and won't find it unprofessional or get the wrong idea. I don't use the F word with someone casually unless I know they're okay with it and won't see it as unprofessional/offensive.

But if we're talking about expressing anger, I wouldn't do it because I think there are more professional and effective ways to express that. Even in the most egregious case of unprofessionalism from the agent, I don't think I'd use strong or emotional language. I wouldn't want to be the one to forego civility or, worse, sink to their level.

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
Never. Or until they've accepted your genius and happen to be swearing in an obviously friendly, playful way themselves.

Personally I'd only use bad language with an agent (outside of the written work) if they used it first. Especially wouldn't use it out of annoyance or aggression. Just express disapproval creatively and politely.

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Well, my initial thought isn't about using it to express anger toward the agent, because that's not how I use the F word. I would say in non-angry contexts, it's okay when you have a close enough relationship with the agent that you know they get your communication style and won't find it unprofessional or get the wrong idea. I don't use the F word with someone casually unless I know they're okay with it and won't see it as unprofessional/offensive.

But if we're talking about expressing anger, I wouldn't do it because I think there are more professional and effective ways to express that. Even in the most egregious case of unprofessionalism from the agent, I don't think I'd use strong or emotional language. I wouldn't want to be the one to forego civility or, worse, sink to their level.

yes. It's a half serious question, but half is strong enough.

I suppose it's like anything or anytime, don't use it, and if you do, recognize its consequences.

In this case, it's anger, born out of well, the usual i suppose.

Anger is a luxury.

But even the lowliest pleb deserves a little luxury now and then...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
After a few weeks?

After they continue to misinterpret one's (or two's) genius for the fifth month running?

Never?

You're allowed to do exactly this just as soon as you write a massive bestseller that proves you are a genius, and proves the agents and editors who said otherwise were wrong.

Until then, you have to assume you aren't a genius, and they are all correct in their appraisals of your writing ability. .

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yes. It's a half serious question, but half is strong enough.

I suppose it's like anything or anytime, don't use it, and if you do, recognize its consequences.

In this case, it's anger, born out of well, the usual i suppose.

Anger is a luxury.

But even the lowliest pleb deserves a little luxury now and then...

If you're that angry with your agent and/or editor, it's probably best to talk to them and convey your frustration. But I would keep it civil, because this is, after all, a professional relationship. So lean more towards "I am concerned about this and this and this" instead of "You fucking asshole, why aren't you getting this and this and this!" ;)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After I've known said agent/editor for several years and we're telling dirty jokes over drinks at RT Booklovers Convention.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Remember people talk.

If you want to break up you send a lovely letter and politely walk away. You don't send a blazing pile of crap with a letter stuck on top.

Think about how you want to be remembered. Because agents, like publishers, do talk to each other. And if you're the foul-mouthed SOB who screamed and moaned and cried then no matter how wonderful your writing is it might be a wee bit harder to sell the next book.

Because no one wants to work with an A-hole. And while you may not BE one you don't want to get the rep that you ARE one.

JMO, YMMV.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
As someone who.says fuck as naturally as breathing, and to people including my mom and pastor, i am still in the "never" camp.

You dont piss in your own drinking well.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Surely it just depends on the nature of your relationship? If it seems like it wouldn't offend, and its not just for the sake of it, then why not? Maybe I'm being naive, but it seems odd for an agent/editor to drop a client just because an author said fuck.

But then again I am Australian.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
At the point where they need you more than you need them. Which is not now.

i think buffs is joking, because this sort of behaviour is never going to reflect well on you, even if you can 'get away with it' - being commercially valuable is not the same as being respected. i think most people would like to be respected, not merely tolerated

I would say in non-angry contexts, it's okay when you have a close enough relationship with the agent that you know they get your communication style and won't find it unprofessional or get the wrong idea. [snip]

But if we're talking about expressing anger, I wouldn't do it because I think there are more professional and effective ways to express that.

Exactly. I know my agent well enough to know she won't baulk at bad language in conversation. So in front of her is usually ok, but I would never disrespect her by using it at her.

It's not even about the cursing itself. It's about respect and professional courtesy

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Surely it just depends on the nature of your relationship? If it seems like it wouldn't offend, and its not just for the sake of it, then why not? Maybe I'm being naive, but it seems odd for an agent/editor to drop a client just because an author said fuck.

But then again I am Australian.

well, I would say "fuck" when out for drinks or whatnot, but the OP seemed (at least I took from it) to be asking when it was ok to use fuck out of frustration WITH/AT THE AGENT. In which case I vote "never".

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I assume you jest, but if not, why don't you tell us after you've tried it.

After a few weeks?

Never?

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're that angry at them, write a long and indignant letter, spelling out their every foible and weakness. Be as insolent and rude as you like, get it all off your chest.

Then, hit 'delete' instead of 'send'.

Be sure not to have their e-mail address typed into the Send To box in case you accidentally hit Send. :D

Or, better yet, write a super angry, indignant e-mail, spelling out WHY you feel that way, then ask a few trusted people to edit it, take out all the curse words, and beat the message into professional shape. Then hit Send.

Status
Not open for further replies.