Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
from the smithsonian:

The (Still) Mysterious Death Of Edgar Allan Poe

Poe's death—shrouded in mystery—seems ripped directly from the pages of one of his own works. He had spent years crafting a careful image of a man inspired by adventure and fascinated with enigmas—a poet, a detective, an author, a world traveler who fought in the Greek War of Independence and was held prisoner in Russia. But though his death certificate listed the cause of death as phrenitis, or swelling of the brain, the mysterious circumstances surrounding his death have led many to speculate about the true cause of Poe's demise. "Maybe it’s fitting that since he invented the detective story," says Chris Semtner, curator of the Poe Museum in Richmond, Virginia, "he left us with a real-life mystery."
the article goes on to detail 9 theories (posted in poll)

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/still-mysterious-death-edgar-allan-poe-180952936/?no-ist

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Hi Hazkins. From what I understand, he was an alcoholic who was driven from one voting booth to another by corrupt supporters of politicians in a voting scam, and died of, most likely, alcoholism and exhaustion.

I don't know if that is factual, but it is what I was led to believe.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i picked rabies, flu and murder.

but only because that's how i want to go.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
2. Cooping
Others believe that Poe fell victim to a practice known as cooping, a method of voter fraud practiced by gangs in the 19th century where an unsuspecting victim would be kidnapped, disguised and forced to vote for a specific candidate multiple times under multiple disguised identities. Voter fraud was extremely common in Baltimore around the mid 1800s, and the polling site where Walker found the disheveled Poe was a known place that coopers brought their victims. The fact that Poe was found delirious on election day, then, is no coincidence.

Over the years, the cooping theory has come to be one of the more widely accepted explanations for Poe's strange demeanor before his death. Before Prohibition, voters were given alcohol after voting as a sort of reward; had Poe been forced to vote multiple times in a cooping scheme, that might explain his semi-conscious, ragged state.

Around the late 1870s, Poe's biographer J.H. Ingram received several letters that blamed Poe's death on a cooping scheme. A letter from William Hand Browne, a member of the faculty at Johns Hopkins, explains that "the general belief here is, that Poe was seized by one of these gangs, (his death happening just at election-time; an election for sheriff took place on Oct. 4th), 'cooped,' stupefied with liquor, dragged out and voted, and then turned adrift to die."
Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...dgar-allan-poe-180952936/#IL3Y6kxoG0GmrbIm.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Hi Hazkins. From what I understand, he was an alcoholic who was driven from one voting booth to another by corrupt supporters of politicians in a voting scam, and died of, most likely, alcoholism and exhaustion.

I don't know if that is factual, but it is what I was led to believe.
Much of the maligning of Poe as an alcoholic or drug abuser were all put forth by his nemesis, Rufus Wilmot Griswold, who wrote a blistering obituary and later an even more damning biography on Poe, just because he wanted to tarnish Poe's image.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
What was the relationship between the two? This is new to me. I've been a fan of Poe since I was 4 and my Dad read The Raven as a bedtime story. (We had just finished Th Jungle Book. Mom wasn't pleased, but my brother and I loved it.)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
i picked rabies, flu and murder.

but only because that's how i want to go.
Who wouldn't?
Much of the maligning of Poe as an alcoholic or drug abuser were all put forth by his nemesis, Rufus Wilmot Griswold, who wrote a blistering obituary and later an even more damning biography on Poe, just because he wanted to tarnish Poe's image.
What the ferret said.

Not that he didn't imbibe. *

But my money's on cooping. Drugged and dragged from voting place to voting place and left for dead.

Once I visited the hospital where he died. Sadly, he didn't appear to provide his version. But I'm not much good at talking with dead people.

* eta: Poe, not the ferret.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tom Stoppard needs to write a play about it. Then we'll all know.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
On battlefields, the birds nipped out the eyes first.

In gutters, i think ravens are the bird of choice, (and assuming eyes are still the delicacy).

Not so worried about how he died.
Very curious if the sockets were empty.

"Nevermore"

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
The movie I watched last night would have me believe it was murder via poisoning by a deranged super-fan, but I think more likely it was alcoholism and complications thereof.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I have no doubt at all that alcohol killed him. You don't have to be a drunk all day, every day alcoholic to die from alcohol. Some people are extremely susceptible to its effects, even with fairly small and somewhat infrequent drinking.

With the time and place, he could have had any number of underlying conditions, but everything points to alcohol as the primary cause.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I have no doubt at all that alcohol killed him. You don't have to be a drunk all day, every day alcoholic to die from alcohol. Some people are extremely susceptible to its effects, even with fairly small and somewhat infrequent drinking.

With the time and place, he could have had any number of underlying conditions, but everything points to alcohol as the primary cause.

this sounds exactly like the type of misdirection that the real killer would attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.