What are you reading?

ExitTheKing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading The Color of Water by James McBride ... Which I should probably be reading right now rather than being online.

BongoFury

Registered
Reaction score
Every year I create a facebook note for all books I read during the year. Here's my last 10 days...

How The Beatles Destroyed Rock And Roll - An Alternative History Of American Popular Music by Elijah Wald
Where Men Win Glory - The Odyssey Of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer
A Natural Woman - A Memoir by Carole King
Proof Of Heaven - A Neurosurgeon's Journey Into The Afterlife by Eben Alexander, M.D.
...currently Exploding The Gene Myth by Ruth Hubbard & Elijah Wald

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Every year I create a facebook note for all books I read during the year.

Oh that's a good idea. I may appropriate (i.e., steal) that.

Right now, Fool Moon by Jim Butcher. Book 2 in the Dresden Files series. Fun urban fantasy.

ETA: just finished it, now i'm running around the house turning the lights on. skeered of the dark now. :scared:

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen

clove

Sushi Fish; Learn About Skin Rolls
Registered
Reaction score
Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, which after reading Jane Eyre comes at you like a truck. (Not unpleasant, mind. A truck filled with flowers.)

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Gideon's Trumpet, by Anthony Lewis. I'm finding it fascinating, but I'm kind of a legal geek, by inclination and profession.

AKyber36

Registered
Reaction score
Finishing up The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler. Fantastic.

Simultaneously reading Nightmare Town by Dashiell Hammett.

I've been on a hard-boiled, noir reading streak since 2012. God, what an awesome style genre of storytelling.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Animal Factory - Edward Bunker

Why, HarryHoskins, you old darling! Why aren't you making us a crossword? :Hug2:

Angry! *

*Oh, I see, you meant--well, I guess I could put on my thinking trilby and come up with an amateur load of something, sometime. :)

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Maugham's Of Human Bondage. I have to say I was dissapointed. There were at least 100 pages that should have been cut, the prose was lazy in some places, and Philip Carey has got to be the most frustrating character I've ever come across.

In any event, in a quest to get to some more of the classics I haven't read, I just started Nikolai Gogol's Dead Souls. I've heard good things, so hopefully I'm in for a treat.

sennydreadful

X-Box Fancier
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sennydreadful.com
I'm currently reading Nick Harkaway's The Gone-Away World, which so far is crazy and brilliant. Starts out as vivid SF and then doubles back for a series of beautifully written flashbacks.

Reaction score
I'm currently reading Nick Harkaway's The Gone-Away World, which so far is crazy and brilliant. Starts out as vivid SF and then doubles back for a series of beautifully written flashbacks.

Somebody recommended that to me last year, which is why it's on my A-Z reading challenge list for this year. Looking forward to checking it out. :)