Not open for further replies.

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themacaw.wordpress.com
Another question :D

So, for now my character is called Nathan. Throughout the book, I refer to him as Nathan and/or Nate.

E.g. in one sentence I could be calling him Nathan, but on the next one I'll be using Nate, so there's a variety. I also use 'he' (obviously), 'the man', and other things.

Is this correct, or should I just stick with one name (nickname or full name), and 'he'?

Thanks... :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You shouldn't change the name used from line to line just for variety's sake. It's a name - you don't need variety. (No need to fall into "Burly Detective Syndrome" with things like "the man," either.)

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
As long as it's clear that it's the same character, there shouldn't be a problem using both the proper name and its diminutive. I'd suggest having one be a default, though. Lends to continuity.

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ok, so if I mostly use Nathan I can still use Nate from time to time, and I just shouldn't...well mash them up for variety? Lol.

Last edited:

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Stick to one name (or he) in narration, or readers get jarred. I know it feels samey to write, but it's not samey to read. In dialogue, your character can use any variety of names they want, including nicknames. If it's a name that hasn't been used for him before, though, you may need to make it clear they're referring to Nathan.
"Oy, Wanker," said the man, pointing at Nathan.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This, like other aspects of writing can be used as a writer's tool. In my latest, the MC is Michael at school, Mike to his friends, and Mikey to his parents (now deceased). His boss calls him Mikey, and this contributes to the feeling that his boss is a surrogate father figure to him. When something like this is established, the nicknames can then be used to help show changes in relationships in the story without coming right out and mentioning them. They also can be used to show false familiarity as a warning or an irritation to the MC.

Last edited:

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, so if I mostly use Nathan I can still use Nate from time to time, and I just should...well mash them up for variety? Lol.

no. NO.

People gave you reasons to vary, such as having different people call him different things (a mom may call him Nathan as a teen, teachers might, but he will think of himself as "Nathan" or "Nate," not interchangeably, and his friends will likely call him one or the other.

What you call him can be used as a tool, because it can say things about the person addressing him and his life. But you don't just randomly call him one thing here, another there....THAT doesn't look "varied," it looks sloppy.

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
no. NO.

People gave you reasons to vary, such as having different people call him different things (a mom may call him Nathan as a teen, teachers might, but he will think of himself as "Nathan" or "Nate," not interchangeably, and his friends will likely call him one or the other.

What you call him can be used as a tool, because it can say things about the person addressing him and his life. But you don't just randomly call him one thing here, another there....THAT doesn't look "varied," it looks sloppy.

Ooops lol I meant "SHOULDN'T" :D :/

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
You can mix the names up in dialogue, depending on who's speaking to/about the character. The narrative should be consistent, although you can introduce change over time. If you have a Nathan, then a Nate, then a Nathan, it can make the reader start wondering if they really are the same person. You should be aiming not to jar the reader that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.