Should I change my MC's name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

retropaw

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. Or call him Mario if you're still worried.

woozy

I'm the nude girl; not the creature
Registered
Reaction score
Then you're not using your imagination well enough. What "Nathan" means to you is almost certainly different from what "Nathan" will mean to any reader. If the name (which is pretty common) conveys any meaning at all to a reader.

What about Bond, James Bond?

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
You can also write the novel enjoying any name you want and then do a search and replace before submitting.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Do you think I should change his name? I can't think of anything that suits him, the name's just rooted to the character and won't go away :(
I had that same problem, except the pressure to change the name was external.

When the first book in my series came out, the MC originally had a name identical to a major character in another, similar, more famous series. The editor, and higher ups, were worried about reader's comparisons and wanted me to change the name.

I dug in my heels, because I thought their concerns were baseless, and like you, I had identified so strongly with the name I simply couldn't imagine any other.

They strongly urged I reconsider, and my agent reminded me that although it was ultimately my call, intransigence might not be the best way to start off my relationship with that publisher.

So, reluctantly, I caved and changed it.

And guess what? At first it was really disturbing, but after enough time had passed the new name became familiar and I now even prefer it to my original one.

But I agree with Windcutter. Keep the name for now. You can always change it if you sell the book and it becomes an issue.

And what seems so vital now eventually won't matter in the least -- at least, that was my experience.

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themacaw.wordpress.com
Okay :)

I think I've decided. I'll keep it till I finish the first draft so I don't get confused -- then I'll change it something else :)

Thanks, guys :)

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
If you want a really common name, but a good name, a solid name, a name that millions can identify with, go with John. Or Jesus. Mohammed is also good.

But Nathan? What the heck is wrong with that? A video game? Do you think all the readers in the world are going to care that it's also a video game name? I don't get it. (I didn't get the video game reference either and I've been playing them since the days of the original Zelda.)

If you eliminate every possible name that might cause a reader to go omg, he's modeled it after that other, more famous Nathan, then wth. I still don't get it.

And if it bothers you that much, then open up a baby names site online and find an alternate to Nathan. Look up Nathan. You'll find different ethnic versions, alternate spellings, similar names, and so on.

AllieGirl

Sin is geographical
Registered
Reaction score
You can also write the novel enjoying any name you want and then do a search and replace before submitting.
This is me! I always write my female MC as "Elsa" then when I find a name to suit her, change it. Thank God for Word's "find/replace" feature.

To the original question: hells no. There are very few off limit names (Rhett, for example; or Neo) in my opinion.

Westie

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan - keeping the name until the end and then deciding.

It always pays to Google your character's name - I did with one of my main characters and found his name was the same as the president of one of the big publishers. This wouldn't be that big a deal except this character gets killed off in a nasty way, so I thought it prudent to change his name!

GrunAugen

Registered
Reaction score
Worry about the books now and the names later.

If you get picked up by and agent or publisher, let them tell you what needs to be changed. I have two names in my book that I'm willing to bet will need to be changed, but until someone tells me it's the only thing holding me back from getting published, the names I've chosen are the ones I'll go with.

Status
Not open for further replies.