Shameless

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's another UK show that made it to the US. I've never seen the original, but I really like the US version (set in Chicago). It's quirky, weird, funny, sexy and gritty. I love William H. Macy -- his character is a whack job. Best of all, I get to see Emmy Rossum naked. LOL. OK, pervy comment aside, the plot is outrageous, and the characters even more so. They are not always likable, but the show is oddly addictive. I had three episodes on my DVR and before I knew it, I watched them all back to back...

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Still not sure how much I like the show. Macy isn't exactly putting on a stellar perormance but i'm with you man, Rossum's tits are keeping my eyes glued to the set. Her acting is also pretty good. They need to shake things up though, before the audience gets bored in the first season!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I've heard things got all tossed around in the UK version, so I'm sure they have plenty to work with, even if they decide to diverge from the UK show (as they often do, after the first season).

trailerbride

Northern scum. Southern belle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pankhearst.com
I watched the first five minutes of the US version and had to turn it off. I had much the same experience with Skins.

I don't know if that's because the US versions are inferior or because I am already familiar with the originals. But Shameless US caused me spiritual pain :)

One thing - I detest the way America insists on making its female leads physically perfect.

jamesn65

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nickjamesbooks.com
I haven't seen the UK original (though I've seen UK originals of a lot of other US remakes), but I am addicted to the US version. I love dark family comedies like this! Seriously, though, I don't think I've seen anything on Showtime that I haven't liked. I'm still waiting for Shameless to develop more of a central plot, but I love the characters and actors.
Skins, on the other hand, is an example of a brilliant UK show that never should have been brought oversees.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had no idea Shameless was a UK version first. I love the US version so far, but I'm partial since I live in the same state as Chicago.

William H. Macy is just excellent as an alcoholic. Every character is just great.

I love Kevin. He's just a super cool guy and goes with the flow

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
I am. IN LOVE. With this show. The acting is brilliant. The characters are horrible but so lovable and easy to root for. I watched the first two seasons (so, 24 eps) in about five days. I was obsessed. Now, I'm frustrated I have to wait seven days between watching new episodes.

And I disagree about Skins. The US remake sucked hardcore. But it could've been good. They should have ditched trying to have a US equivalent for each character and started over from scratch like they did with Series 3 and 5. The problem was most people had seen Series 1 of the UK Skins and they didn't care to see it again. Plus, the acting was atrocious from what I remember.

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
Im writing from cell so forgive me typos and punctuation suckage.

To those that say that US version should never be or that its a lot worse than the UK one, Id like to ask why do you think so? What makes it so? Ive been enjoying the US version quite a bit and I Dont reallly see whats bad about it? Whats so different?

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone still watching this show? The US version I mean. We recently got Showtime free as a promotional thing and I discovered a Shameless marathon. Set up the DVR and recorded it. I think we started with show # 2.

I'm now about 15 or 20 shows in and am losing interest. I watched several in a row (have been sick and had time off from work) but now ...

I haven't really found a single likable character. I guess it's supposed to be Fiona, but I have trouble working up sympathy for her now. Oh wait, maybe it's V and Kev. They seem the most sane, and the most real to life. The others are caricatures.

They just all make such bad decisions, and the whole show revolves around who's *effing whom. At this particular moment, since they jump around from partner to partner. And run around naked all the time, no matter who else is in the house.

Hmm, am I sounding like a prissy old lady? :granny:

The writing is really good - and I do like William H Macy as an actor. His name on the credits is one of the things that drew me in at first.

Maybe I'm just not used to pay channels. We've never had Showtime before.

Last edited:

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Season... 4? I think? Maybe 3, is supposed to start in a couple weeks. I was wondering where it disappeared to. I really like both versions, but the US one doesn't have the charm as the UK. The US version tries to come off just as crude but it does it in weird skeezy ways. Macy's version of Frank isn't as likeable, imo, but Rossum's Fiona is pretty stellar.

Though, I wonder if US Carl might grow up to be just as much of a hunk as UK Carl. :)

Elena Andrews

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elenaandrews.blogspot.com
Really looking forward to the season premire tonight. Also a fan of Episodes so nice that that's back, as well. And just a few more weeks until Walking Dead and Sundays are awesome again

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
I know this won't be a popular opinion amongst Shameless fans (well, I'm guessing), but I would enjoy this show more if Frank just kicked the bucket like he deserves :p

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
This Frank isn't as charismatic as old Frank. I mean, Frank was always a piece of shit, but you still cheered for him in the UK. Macey's version does make you wish he just... died.

lexxi

bold enough for both those XXs
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. Not many redeeming characteristics. I can tell Frank is intelligent, but so mean-spirited, not only incurably self-destructive but also destructive to everyone around him.

I do care about most of the other characters -- although it's frustrating when they make one bad decision after another. But I do feel they mean well.

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
If I didn't generally enjoyed this show like I do, I'd have kicked it to the curb after the episode where Frank got a new liver. I mean, could that even happen IRL? It's not that it's not clear that he's an alcoholic. There are even court cases that prove he's a waste. I'd have thought there are organ waiting lists for people who fell sick not of their own fault.

But I also have to say, the last episode was probably the first that actually made me snicker twice or thrice, and the house explosion+reasons for it, awesome twist. Also the evil lesbians are awesome :D I did not expect them to be a tough challenge, but they may prove to be a fun plot. They don't scare easily!

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Little continuity problem I had, was Debbie's throwing this huge rager at her house with Frank's booze. So underage kids are not only drinking, but they're drinking something that's roughly 70% alcohol? And Fiona iss all like "Okay, I trust you." I mean... she was charged with reckless endangerment of a child over drugs... hosting a rager with several underage drinkers who, drinking Frank's 'Milk of the Gods', are likely black out drunk the following morning. SURELY something would have gone wrong, other than Debbie date-raping her ex. Not to mention the house looked spotless the following morning.

I mean, I'd probably chalk that up to "The writers want to take a break from that side of things and show more to the story in the episode" but it did bug me.

Also, any thoughts on the rich lesbian hitting on Fiona at the diner? I figure it's Steve's spy doing his dirty work from afar.