Glee

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
Bree's a beeyotch.

Artie and Kittty are so sweet it's giving me cavities.

Agreed, Nurse Penny and Sam need to cool it down. Even if Sam failed a year somewhere down the line and he's older than the other seniors by a year, it's still creepy.

I loved Adam Lambert's character and I hope he sticks around. Also really liking Demi Lovato, from what we've seen of her.

And is it just me, or did Chord Overstreet's (Sam) abs get really ripped since the Rocky Horror episode?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I really thought it couldn't get any worse than the puppet theatre tragedy that was last week.

Then we get to the "previously unaired" Christmas show, supposedly too controversial for last year (though still missing Brittany) in which Santana plays Mrs. Claus for a mall and permanently warps every child placed on her lap, Stripper Santa hog-ties Kurt, then robs the flat, and Unique appears as a very pregnant Virgin Mary, in blue sequined gown, to belt out "Love Child" while Wise Men Marley and Tina sing back-up and Ryder delivers the baby on a science room table. All so Kitty will realize that she's not too slutty to play the part of Mary herself.

Can we please just get a Christmas show that hangs a lantern on the fact that there is both a Jacob and a Marley in the group, with Sue making a perfect Scrooge, already?

Why do I torture myself with this show. WHY??? *dramatic Tina Cohen-Chang exit*

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Huh. I haven't watched since "The Quarterback." Have 4 episodes in my queue. And I realize that I don't miss it at all. Guess that's it for me; going to delete the eps without watching and stop recording the show. I'll check in here to see how the series is doing. I hope everyone who's still watching continues to enjoy it, or be entertained by it, or get something out of it that has them keep watching.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Yeah, the last two episodes were... I don't even have words. To be honest, the level of sexual content, especially in the Christmas episode, makes me so uncomfortable I may give up watching entirely. (I write erotic romance. Sexual content is not something I generally have an issue with.) The show's gone off the rails.

It's on hiatus until February; maybe by then they'll have their act together and the show will be watchable again. One can hope.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The showrunners have been kicking around the idea of moving the whole show to NYC. At this point, that's probably a good idea. Get away from McKinley.

Oh, please let them do this.

It is crazy that they keep letting the McKinley students and NYC folks share songs. The difference in their voices is enormous. Lea, Chris, and Naya alone would blow the Lima kids away, but then add in Adam and Devi, and there's absolutely no contest.

I thought the McKinley part of the Christmas episode wasn't too bad, but the NYC part was cringeworthy. And wasn't Kurt supposed to be in Lima taking care of his dad and skating with Blaine?

For me, Glee is really just there to be background entertainment while I do other things in my apartment (cook, clean, etc)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched the 100th episode. I haven't seen the conclusion (New Directions). But I was so happy to see April and Holly again. And all the gang together again, except the obvious.

But the thing that made me so incredibly happy was Quinn and Puck. I always loved those two together, and it was nice to bring this relationship full circle.

I have noticed that the way to make a high school bad boy respectable these days is to put him in the military. It works, but it's something I'll probably be on the lookout for from now on, now that I've seen a couple of instances in quick succession (the other being Veronica Mars).

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I was also happy to see Quinn and Puck (you'll like them in the next ep, too, Sage :) ) Other than that, Glee's a mess, and they're getting rid of their most talented cast-member: Wade / Unique, as she's still in high school and won't be going to NYC.

Tina's dream sequence was cute, and Becky walking the stage at graduation was a real "moment," but beyond that, the show's barely even trying to maintain the illusion of plot anymore. The deterioration is both stark and sad.

The "baby video" nearly makes up for it, given the stratospheric nostalgia factor (they have seriously wrung all the value out of their license to perform "Don't Stop Believin'"). It's another moment on par with Shuester's proposal to Emma, where even Sue's playing nice. The only one missing is Bieste. :(

(I think the ??? moment of the week comes from Brittany's high school graduation, which comes after half a year at MIT...)

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Can someone explain to me why the banner on the stage read McKinley High Class of 2013? *so confused

I was glad to see Puck and Quinn again. The whole episode had an underlying sadness for me, though, without Finn. :(

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why the banner on the stage read McKinley High Class of 2013? *so confused

Because in a rare moment of continuity, the producers remembered they made the 2012-2013 school year last for 2 seasons.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
What is this continuity of which you speak??

The episodes since the series returned from hiatus have almost made me remember why I used to like this show. They *feel* more like the older episodes to me, if that makes any sense. The camaraderie among the characters (and cast) is back, and the plots seem a tiny bit more logical and appropriate for the time slot and younger viewers.

Cyia... if I recall right, Brittany didn't actually get a graduation because of the way MIT snagged her, so, as the dialogue stated, Santana pulled in a favor from Sue to allow Brittany to go up on stage and receive her diploma with the other graduates. She'd already graduated, I think (or MIT made it appear as if she had), but this was her being allowed the ceremony of it.

"Don't Stop Believing" is just WRONG without Cory/Finn... I cried when Kurt took his part in the first verse. (Though I also marveled a bit at Chris Colfer's tenor, since he usually sings higher than that.)

I seriously hope the writers figure out a way to keep Unique on the show. The fact that Alex Newell on Glee Project was told he would only get 2 episodes as sort of a consolation prize for not winning, and yet became the breakout from that Glee Project season and ended up being quite a popular character should tell the showrunners something.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't help myself. I had to see what they were setting up for the "grand finale" season.

This was a 2-parter. The songs were some of the best I've seen on the show. (Take Me On was especially well done.) But at this point, the show should just release itself as a "sing-a-long" direct to DVD show or something. I've long-since stopped caring about the plotlines, DVRing the night's show and only watching the music, and actually sitting through the entire 2-hrs last night made me remember why.

Spoilers abound, though I doubt anyone's avoiding them, so --

Rachel moves home. Her TV show's a flop. It's a live-action parody of Glee, with Rachel moving in with her gay bestie only to find out that caricatures of the regular cast have been living the best friend's apartment for years - including Carrot Top as their "Artie." They got episode, offended everyone from PETA to NAMBLA (Yes, that was an actual "joke" on the show.) and got pulled after their pilot episode.

Jeff Goldblum was apparently unavailable to make an appearance because when she goes home in disgrace, her other dad announces they're splitting up. She's welcome to stay as long as she wants, but the house is up for sale due to the pending divorce.

Kurt follows her to Ohio because he's bummed that he's the only one who showed up for their "lets always be friends / meet here in a year" meet-up. He's kicked Blaine to the curb, but realized that it was a mistake and determined to get him back. Too bad Blaine is now dating Karofsky.

Sue has removed all arts from McKinnley as the principal (former principal works at Starbucks now. (Scores are up, body mass indexes are down!) She keeps the students in shape with daily weigh-ins, shaming them into "the pigpen" and routinely releasing dogs to chase them down the hall. She's basically the Trunchbull at this point.

Mr. Shue is now leading Vocal Adrenaline. Blaine's been put in charge of the Warblers (he's flunked out of Nyada, so it's cool), and after donating what remains of her one-episode salary to the district, Rachel is given permission to restart The Glee club. All she has to do is rip out the multi-million dollar computer lab Sue had built in the choir room. Kurt decides to stay an help because he needs a work study credit for Nyada. NYC performing arts schools routinely okay single credit projects in Ohio, I guess.

The show has cleaned house. The only remaining "new" kid is Kitty, as Sue had all of the other glee-students forcibly transferred to other schools. No Puck Jr. No Marley, and greatest tragedy of them all - No Wade. They dumped their greatest asset to keep the reincarnation of Quinn.

Even though... wait for it.... wait for it.... wait for it.... Quinn's back! And she brought the entire original cast (save Mike Chang, who presumably laughed in their faces when asked to return to high school) with her. Puck's in the Navy, wearing his uniform, but he's still got time to march the old gang through a meeting of the McKinnley High Tea Party Club (yeah, that was a "joke" too.)

So you've got the oldies, one middle child, and the "new kids."

1. "Dalton Girl" whose dad and uncles were Dalton alums, so psyched to carry on the tradition that they sued the school to make sure their only daughter/niece could attend. She wasn't allowed to sing with the Warblers, though, so she told her parents she wanted to transfer out of her prestigious private school and go to public Ohio high school. They said "Sure thing sweetie!"

2. Headphones Boy; a.k.a. "the fat kid." He's the misfit who just transferred from Chicago. No friends. No interests. He's just "the voice" Rachel keeps hearing through the vents in the choir room. They track him down to the library where he's loudly singing in the stacks while no one cares.

3. Postmodern Gay. This is his actual title as given by the show. He's the football player, and makes his mark by using homophobic slurs at his other teammates, but it's okay because he's "totally gay." (Oh yeah, I forgot that Sam's now Biest's assistant coach.) The only thing redeeming about this dude is that he can shut Sue down, and does. He's supposed to be her ringer in the Glee club, but has so far refused, even though it's obvious that he'll join.

4. The Incest Twins; a.k.a Flowers in the Attic. Also their assigned name on the show. I think these two were a competitive team on the Voice because they look and sound familiar, but they're not really memorable. They're the requisite cheerleaders.

That's it. There are currently 4 Glee members. (Kitty refused to re-up because she's been abandoned by the Gleeks, including and especially Artie who hasn't spoken to her since graduation.)

And that's pretty much it. They stretched this mess to 2-hours of the 13 episode mini-season Glee's got remaining. Rachel's still supposedly working toward becoming a star on broadway, "her dream" which she trashed for the show that tanked. And somehow, all of the others originals are able to stay in town just to train the new kids because it's not like they've got other things to do or places to be. Even Becky's back.

And now my head hurts.

Watching this thing was like running a marathon just to see if you can do it. You kind of feel like you've accomplished something, but it's a slog you have to force yourself through, and in the end you're in a lot of pain and just want a cookie.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Fox paid for a fifth and sixth season, so they had to make them.

I will keep going through the end, just to say I did, but I've been in it for the music (mostly the older actor's voices) for the past two seasons. The end of last season was much better than the New New Directions stuff in season 4 and the first half of season 5, so I don't have much hope for the New New New Directions.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I watched LLM yesterday and Homecoming today, and I think it was better to watch them separately because I spent the day in between thinking that I didn't think LLM was that bad.

Maybe I'm just so relieved to be out of the New New Directions rut the show got into. I hated Marley and Ryder, and I hated that every episode (not just some like in old-school Glee, but every single one) ended with the NND kids putting on a stage performance, half the time completely unrelated to whatever was going on in the episode, and most of those stage performances were also duets with the NY crew who outsang them completely. Unique was underused, and she and Blaine should have headed up the NND group, but for some reason didn't. I liked Kitty in the end, but have never forgotten that she started off so evil that Santana thought she was over the line.

First of all, I love that the hell that Rachel was living in was of her own making. She was always her own worst enemy, and ditching Broadway for TV because she thought it'd make her a bigger star, after ditching NYADA for Broadway because it was her dream? It absolutely makes sense for Rachel because when she's not winning, it's because her ambitions sabotaged her. Any normal person could see that the show being pitched at the end of last season would be a flop, but not Rachel because she always has stars in her eyes.

That first episode focused on the characters that probably hold the show together the most. Rachel, Kurt, Blaine, and a little of Mr. Shue and Sue. It was a good move to not bother with the New New New Directions students at all (even post-modern gay wasn't presented as a candidate in that episode). Putting Blaine back with the Warblers was a good move. He was always better with them anyway, and pitting him against Rachel and Kurt (whatever the ridiculous reasons are) is an excellent move, IMO.

In fact, I thought it was great that two of the 5 songs of the first ep were rival songs. The Warblers and Vocal Adrenaline were the ones that the show used to go to pre-competition to hear their performances, so it felt like a little bit of that old magic.

And I thought that ending that first episode with Rachel putting up the list (while singing a Rachel Berry anthem) was the perfect way to end that first episode.

---

For Homecoming, I didn't mind that the ND group was there, based on the excuse for the episode, although I think it's a little early for the "Class of 2012" to be returning for a reunion. I am a little wary of Rachel planning to call on them in the future, though.

The N[SUP]3[/SUP]D kids:

Love Jane. I was hoping she'd be with the Warblers to shake things up because I thought she did well with them, but I love her so I'm glad we'll get to see her at McKinley. Besides, I have to admit that all-men's a cappella is very nice to listen to.

Headphones Boy (no clue what his name is): I'm pretty sure that the headphones are there so he can sing Matt Nathanson's "Headphones" eventually, but since I identify with that song and with him, I'm cool with it. I was impressed with his voice so far, and it's a different sound than we've focused on in any incarnation of New Directions. I loved that the show tried to make you think the voice in the grates must have been post-modern gay/a jock in the shower, and then Sam even makes fun of that assumption.

Incest twins: Meh. They kinda remind me of the wannabe-NYADA-kids Rachel and Kurt met at the beginning of the third season. It will be interesting, though, with them being overachiever performers if Jane and Headphones Boy outshine them all the time. Imagine if Rachel hadn't actually been the star of the group, but still acted the same.

Though we haven't started glee meetings for real, I can just see how nicely this will work with Rachel and Kurt leading them. They'll get their time showing off, and it's teaching, but the other kids will also get their chance to sing for their lessons. Like, you had to roll your eyes a little when Mr. Shue sang, but with Rachel at the helm, it's really showing the kids something. However, if there isn't an episode where the kids have to remind Rachel and Kurt that it's supposed to be about the kids not the teachers, I will be surprised (since Mr. Shue had to be taught that several times and was, in theory, far less self-involved than Rachel).

Not sure how I feel about Blaine and Karofsky, but I am kinda happy to see Kurt and Blaine broken up and Blaine not being the one begging for them to get back together. I am so sick of whiny Blaine. I'm hoping being a Warbler gets him back to Awesome Blaine of season 2.

For both episodes, it's the same level of suspension of disbelief that has always been true for Glee, and I'm fine with that.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the quality of ep1 vs 2 in the 2-parter, Sage. The first one wasn't bad, which is what made the second half such a disaster.

I went back to watching 90% of the episode in fast forward, which improved its quality quite a bit. It's still mainly Kurt and Rachel singing, though Blaine did get a number with Kurt. (Someone must have ponied up for the Alanis Morissette catalog this season.) The couple of scenes I stopped to actually watch made me teeth gnashy.

1 - Becky's boyfriend. She's got herself a new guy, one who is not special needs, and it was nice to watch the original Glee girls sitting in with Sue to grill the guy about his intentions. (Also having Santana finally call Becky on the attitude was an odd scene, but in character for both of them.

2 - Bieste. Stop torturing the woman, Glee. She's already been through the female coach drama, the never-been-kissed drama, the crush on Mr. Shue drama, and the abusive husband drama. Did you really have to give her the big "C" to go along with it? Did you ?

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly have been bored the last season (maybe last two seasons). But decided to watch this year since it is the last season. Curious how they will end it.

2 - Bieste. Stop torturing the woman, Glee. She's already been through the female coach drama, the never-been-kissed drama, the crush on Mr. Shue drama, and the abusive husband drama. Did you really have to give her the big "C" to go along with it? Did you ?

Did you watch the whole episode? Bieste doesn't have cancer. He realized he is transgender and is in the process of transitioning.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Did you watch the whole episode? Bieste doesn't have cancer. He realized he is transgender and is in the process of transitioning.

Oh! That's so much better.

No, I didn't watch any more of it after the cancer discussion with Sue. Bieste going into transition is a MUCH better storyline - one they should have tackled sooner (no coaching pun intended), IMO, because the dramatic steam has left the show. Either way, it seems like the character will finally be on the road to a happier life and that's what he deserves! I hate when characters get relegated to the role of long-time punching bag for all the bad stuff in a series.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
But wasn't the Bieste character kind of great because she was always struggling to be seen and appreciated as a straight woman despite stereotypes? I get that transitioning is an important topic (and Glee doesn't shy away from any topic they can force into an after-school special), but I always thought Bieste's original messaging was pretty neat.

Have not seen any of the new episodes, though, so my opinion may be moot.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I did a little googling, and it looks like Beiste's name will now be Sheldon, instead of Shannon. I'm not sure why they chose that name, as it's pretty firmly identified with The Big Bang Theory right now, but they're set to have a complete transition done in a few episodes' time.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
But wasn't the Bieste character kind of great because she was always struggling to be seen and appreciated as a straight woman despite stereotypes? I get that transitioning is an important topic (and Glee doesn't shy away from any topic they can force into an after-school special), but I always thought Bieste's original messaging was pretty neat.

Have not seen any of the new episodes, though, so my opinion may be moot.
I had this thought too, actually. I had been spoiled that Bieste was revealed to be trans in that ep, and I couldn't figure out if he was transitioning or if it was revealed that "she" had transitioned. I look back at conversations Bieste had had in previous seasons (particularly in A Very Glee Christmas, since it is an episode I have memorized), and don't feel like "I've always felt this way" rings true with Bieste's earlier heartfelt moments. And of course it doesn't, because this is the first time the writers thought of it, so they didn't write those moments to match with the current truth about him.

I did a little googling, and it looks like Beiste's name will now be Sheldon, instead of Shannon. I'm not sure why they chose that name, as it's pretty firmly identified with The Big Bang Theory right now, but they're set to have a complete transition done in a few episodes' time.
My guess would be that it's because it shares so many letters so it will be easier for the audience to relate the two names. But actually most trans people that I know of (which is admittedly very few) seem to take names that don't have any relation to the name they were born with. I originally expected that someone renaming his- or herself would choose a similar name, but I think that many people in this situation don't want a name that reminds them of when they felt wrong.

Other thoughts about this episode:

I thought the mash-ups weren't too bad, except the last one felt a little forced. Brittana's was beautiful and the proposal was sweet. Kurt pooing all over it was pretty in character, considering his sitch, and Santana laying into him about it was a spark of that old Santana we haven't seen for a while (although I watched this after THLp1, so it was a little like a mini-version of the Sue monologue).

I was glad to see them break up the Ma-son twins for a song, though I was surprised by how emotional Jane seemed during the song with Mason. In old Glee, that'd be the start of a romance, but we don't know them well enough that I foresee that happening. I wish we could get to know them a little, and I say that after hating getting to know the N[SUP]2[/SUP]D kids.

---

The Hurt Locker, part 1.

In many ways, this was an awful episode. But it had me cracking up the whole way through. It was Extreme Sue, and while I'm not sure that I buy that she's a Klaine shipper, I do buy that "Porcelain" was her favorite Glee kid. But that's not what made this episode. What made it was how extremely meta it was. Sue had that epic monologue that I swear combined every blog post ever to critique the faults of Glee. Also, she must have been studying her Thesaurus at the beginning. The long lost Matt got referenced TWICE in this episode, and Jesus Joe, who fell off the face of the planet, also got referenced. Not to mention the great line about how ridiculous the band was.

The music was pretty meh, particularly the Vocal Adrenaline songs in the Invitational (are we not going to see the Warblers and ND for this, or is that next week?).

Someday perhaps these people (I'm looking at you, Will) will figure out that if you're being told that one of your friends is doing something crazy mean behind your back, it's probably Sue behind it, especially if she just told you she had a vendetta against you. I wish I could say that Will's vindictiveness towards Rachel was out of character, but that's totally the face he made whenever he would get back at Sue in previous seasons. Still, I think VA phoning it in would've been counterproductive to the ND kids, and, sure their dancing was cool, but I was uninspired by their singing.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
But we had quite a bit of meta in Homecoming and a lot in THLp1, and Santana and Sue have had a lot of calling out all the faults of the characters as we the audience recognize them...and I don't think it's going to continue to be as funny for the rest of the season. Sue and Santana have always been willing to tell off the other characters, but it's always been so over the top and most of the time a hint of truth along with just a bunch of meanness, so it's different if it's just a bunch of truths they're spouting off.

ETA: Apparently the newest ep was called The Hurt Locker, part 1, but I swear everything I read said "part 2" (and I assumed the movie was "part 1"). So I've gone back and made my 2s into 1s.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
At this point, I think it's safe to say that Glee is just running out the clock. Tonight's show was one of the worst ever.