General anime discussion thread

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
That'd definitely be an instant buy, if I ever came across it. (Interesting that they include both "Death and Rebirth" and "Death". I wonder what versions they left out and how they chose.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
That'd definitely be an instant buy, if I ever came across it. (Interesting that they include both "Death and Rebirth" and "Death". I wonder what versions they left out and how they chose.)

Here's a breakdown of what exactly is in each boxed set. There's the Blu-ray and the Archive set. The Archive set is DVD-only and basically corresponds to exactly what was aired on TV.

Here's more discussion of some of the differences. You can just keep reading that thread if you're curious. Exactly what the Blu-ray versions of Death and Rebirth will be is anyone's guess.

Will you be adding your bet in speculation of how much the boxed sets will cost?

Didn't realize they were two separate sets before... I'm amending mine to $600 for BD and $400 for DVD

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Will you be adding your bet in speculation of how much the boxed sets will cost?

Around here, it'll be € 70,- to 100,-. If they can't sell it for that price, they won't release it. Very few if any boxed sets ever exceed that price. Might be up to € 160,- if they split the box in two in our market. There's not such an extensive market for anime in Germany. France and Britain used to be better; I'm not sure France still is, but Britain certainly. I'm unfamiliar with their pricing.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Around here, it'll be € 70,- to 100,-. If they can't sell it for that price, they won't release it. Very few if any boxed sets ever exceed that price. Might be up to € 160,- if they split the box in two in our market. There's not such an extensive market for anime in Germany. France and Britain used to be better; I'm not sure France still is, but Britain certainly. I'm unfamiliar with their pricing.

I was talking about the Japanese price.

Out of laziness I expressed it in $ instead of ¥.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
The prices will probably turn up on CDJapan when there's a more definitive release date. Until there's a definitive source, speculation is pointless.

(No, I won't be buying. Eva was never my favourite series, and besides, I don't have a Blu-ray player.)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I was talking about the Japanese price.

Out of laziness I expressed it in $ instead of ¥.

Oops, I'm sorry. I can't actually guess the prices, since I never checked any Japanese prices. From what little I've heard your estimates sound plausible.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else following the Animator Expo shorts?

"ME!ME!ME!" is easily the most interesting so far, and has been getting some talk around the net.

And "until You come to me." is the closest thing we've gotten to an Evangelion Final teaser yet.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Sekaioni is . . . something.
It's dark, but not quite grimdark to me. It seems almost too actiony for it.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished watching the old Sailor Moon series in Japanese. Loved it, way better than the US version and Usagi is less annoying too. Love the intro songs, so retro and catchy. I did skip a few of those filler episodes though, but looking back I understand them. They made SM a Saturday morning kind of show for kids where you hang out with your fav senshi.

My fav seasons were 1,3,5,2,4.

Chibi-Usa was less annoying, but the arcs mainly dealing with her bored me. The outer senshi are badass, love them. Except Neptune...she's kind of a prissy snob. Other than loneliness, I didn't see a good reason that her and Haruka were together. I kinda of felt Jupiter and Mercury were kind of forgotten at the end, and Mars is given more agency than in the manga. Mars was always my fav.

Yeah, the new sailor moon series just isn't as good. Esp these last few episodes feel rushed. I mean, in the first SM series the end fight between Usagi and Beryl is really epic, what with Usagi shattering ice and holding out her wand to a giant Beryl. Here it was like, oh okay, she's dead.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
So, Durarara x2 reminds me just how much I loved that first season.

Speaking of Eva blu rays... where's my 3.33?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of Eva blu rays... where's my 3.33?

Funimation finished the dub but the Khara and test audience had problems with it, so they had to redo (heh) parts of the dub. I'm not sure how much was redone. That was months ago.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else following the Animator Expo shorts?

"ME!ME!ME!" is easily the most interesting so far, and has been getting some talk around the net.

And "until You come to me." is the closest thing we've gotten to an Evangelion Final teaser yet.

Finally found a site that had four for streaming. It didn't have "Until you come to me". I'm personally most interested in the dragon dentist bit.

I can see but not feel the appeal of ME!ME!ME! It's the sort of egocentric trip that tends to exclude me.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Finally found a site that had four for streaming.

Did the actual site not work for you? They should all be streaming from there...

There's also iOS and Android apps that have them streaming.

Dragon dentist didn't really work for me. It felt more like a teaser than a self-contained short.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Did the actual site not work for you? They should all be streaming from there...

Nope. None of the videos ever started. On two different machines. Eternal buffering hell.

There's also iOS and Android apps that have them streaming.
I have no smart phone.

Dragon dentist didn't really work for me. It felt more like a teaser than a self-contained short.
I'd agree with that. It's just that I don't mind.

ETA: Wait. Now the original site works for me. (Strange. I didn't try only once.)

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Really really digging Steins;Gate. I know I'm late on this bandwagon and you were all singing its praises a while back, but oh man, it's good.

I'm still very impressed by the English dub too -- I switch over to the Japanese sometimes, and they're both as ridiculously geeky as each other, it's amazing. I kind of want to re-watch it in Japanese afterwards just for the new batch of references.

Also watching Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!, which is completely ridiculous and knows it. There's not much substance to it so far but I'm enjoying it.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone here watching Shirobako?

BECAUSE NO ONE TOLD ME HIDEAKI ANNO HAS A CAMEO IN EPISODE 12!!!!!

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone here watching Shirobako?

BECAUSE NO ONE TOLD ME HIDEAKI ANNO HAS A CAMEO IN EPISODE 12!!!!!

I bow in shame. (It's a good scene, too.)

I suppose I don't talk about Shirobako much, because everyone seems to like it more than I do. It's great when it's about making anime, but most of the elements that are supposed to make it more accessible (such as the girls, or the mascots) don't work for me. It's like a mix of two shows: you've got all these individual character designs, and there are those five girls who look pretty much alike...

Also, whenever Shirobako talks about 3D animation I become depressed.

EMaree said:
Really really digging Steins;Gate. I know I'm late on this bandwagon and you were all singing its praises a while back, but oh man, it's good.

Yay!

Also watching Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!, which is completely ridiculous and knows it. There's not much substance to it so far but I'm enjoying it.

The real fun thing is that it's actually true to the spirit of magical girl shows. Heh.

Miss Strawberrii said:
I'm currently watching Lord Marksman and Vanadis. There's a bit of fan service, but I still like it! The boobs are a bonus. :p

The boobs are a bonus? In what sense? Hilarity? :tongue

I may be one of very few people, but I'm enjoying Yuri Kuma Arashi more than I did Penguindrum. I find the repetitions less grating, the silliness more integrated with the show, and in general it just feels tighter.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I may be one of very few people, but I'm enjoying Yuri Kuma Arashi more than I did Penguindrum. I find the repetitions less grating, the silliness more integrated with the show, and in general it just feels tighter.

Dammit I need to start watching this. Stupid Funimarion licensing it means Crunchyroll can't simulcast it here. I think Hulu gets it a week or two later though... Very annoying.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Dammit I need to start watching this. Stupid Funimarion licensing it means Crunchyroll can't simulcast it here. I think Hulu gets it a week or two later though... Very annoying.

Shock! Kuma Shock!

I wonder if marathoning it might be a good idea? (If you can stand the waiting...)

I'm a girl who likes girls with boobs. So a bonus! :D

I'm a boy who likes boobs. It's just that this show has designs I... can't take seriously. It's not that bad early on, but once the art quality starts to slip...

I prefer something more naturally looking to what looks like to be designed as a tray carrying device. Or a chin rest. ;)

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
I think Yuri Kuma Arashi may be a little too tight. There's less incentive to care about the characters than in Utena or Penguindrum. That being said, I can kinda-sorta-maybe-almost see what it's trying to say, thematically speaking, although I can't quite articulate it yet.

I think Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love! works because not only does the show not take itself seriously, but the characters don't take it seriously either. At all. Except for the pink extraterrestrial wombat. (And I only brought him up because I wanted the chance to use the phrase "pink extraterretrial wombat". Like "lesbian werebear schoolgirl cannibals", it just isn't a sequence of words that comes up all that often.)

Speaking as an asexual who couldn't care less about boobs unless I'm trying to draw them, Madan to Ou no Vanadis was a mildly entertaining generic fantasy that I watched because I had an open slot and all the other choices for filling it were equally lackluster. And I liked the opening theme song. They definitely did use a third-string studio for some of it, though--I seem to remember noticing that the characters were off-model in a few sequences. ::shrug::

Just completed a re-watch of Slayers Next (with the intent of marathoning Try this weekend, just because), and man, is the difference between it and most more recent anime noticeable. And I don't just mean the artwork, either, although it's easy to tell that it was hand-drawn on cels if you know what to look for. It's the absolute lack of tacked-on fan service--what nudity there is flows from the plot and isn't handled in a way intended to titillate. They just don't make 'em like they used to.