They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
So, this is the second series, and lawks it started with a good 'un

I may have to disown my daughter due to her not finding either Porthos or Aramis in the least attractive (her main comment was "is *everyone* porking their way around Paris?)

Anyway, anyone else watching? Anyone else wondering about Porthos's Dad? Or the switch to Rochefort now that Capaldi is the Who? Is Aramis going to make waves about Le Dauphin?

Aramis and POrthos are most definitely the most interesting characters -- which is odd because it should be about D'artagnan. Only he's had the least character development (in the first series anyway)
Talk to me!

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I watched the first series, but my interest was waning towards the end. I've put the second series on series link, but haven't watched the first episode yet. Worth persevering with?

(I've always loved your avatar, btw - classic episode of RD! :D)

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
Crap, I hope my DVR recorded it. I hardly even turn the thing on during the week, and there's so much good stuff happening this week.

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've watched the first episode now (& have just watched the BBC's 10-minute recap from the first series - really, I should've watched that before I watched the episode to help me remember certain things, lol).

I very much enjoyed the episode, and Marc Warren's Rochefort was a welcome addition to the programme (glad he'd sorted his hair out by the end of the episode!). Some very impressive stunt work - I particularly liked the escape over the ravine - and the stunning locations used are a real plus. :)

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started watching this show. I'm working my way through season 1, courtesy of BBC America On Demand. I've seen eight episodes already. I'm addicted to the show. Good solid stories. Season two starts here on Saturday. I should be caught up by then.

Locke

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I double-checked this weekend to make sure it's set to record, which it is. I forgot that there's something of a delay for BBC America to show things.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Well i have two episodes of season one to finish and then Saturday sees the start of season two. I'll look forward to finding out what all that's about. I'm aware there's going to be some kind of rift between the Musketeers in the finale of season one. This show is amazing.

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, ep one sets up a nice mystery about him. Have yet to see it bear fruit but am looking forwards to it (and the rift it may well cause....)

What mystery was that? (Was it about Adele? Cos I wondered about that when I watched the episode, but then I watched the 10-minute recap and she featured on it.)

I've now watched both episodes and the second series is holding my attention so far. :)

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lol, crossed wires. I thought it was Aramis you were talking about, as per a continuation of your post #8 (but on re-reading I can see you were replying to post #9).

Adele's name was on the plaque at the end of the first episode of series 2. She was the one Richelieu had had killed on the way to his country estate towards the end of the last series, and it was her bedroom we found Aramis in back in the very first (I think) episode of that series. (Oops! Almost didn't white out the spoilers for those people catching up with the first series! :eek:)

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Season two started with a bang! I haven't had the chance to watch episode 2 yet. It's on the dvr. The show is definitely lacking something without Capaldi. He made for a great villain! The show goes on regardless.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tom Burke (Athos) has the scar from a repaired cleft lip. I can't remember it being addressed in the story, but it's made fans out of some young people I know who have similar facial differences.

Good show, too.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely. But it's kind of cool how it just is there, eh? Like such a small thing that it's not worth noticing.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
And is totally accepted without anyone saying anything -- which is cool. He just is, whether it's a duelling scar or no. Makes no odds.

And hey didn't show it this week because stupid Cambridge were playing stupid Man U.

I wish someone would string football up. It messes with every thing I/we actually want to watch.

Last edited:

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Haven't watched the show, but I've seen pictures, and I gotta say -- the costuming is terrible. It manages to be at the same time fancifully ahistorical and dull. What looks like leather biker gear in drab shades of gray and brown.

What the hell? The BBC has access to both proper costuming and historical experts; that's what they're supposed to be really good at.

This is closer to what we should be looking at (though slightly later): 17th century musketeers and pikemen. Why contrive dullness when the historically accurate is also gorgeous?

Makes me want to re-watch Richard Lester's excellent movies. Perhaps this show will lead people back to Dumas' truly great novels.

Locke

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think they're aiming for it to be historically accurate.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
And is totally accepted without anyone saying anything -- which is cool. He just is, whether it's a duelling scar or no. Makes no odds.

And hey didn't show it this week because stupid Cambridge were playing stupid Man U.

I wish someone would string football up. It messes with every thing I/we actually want to watch.
Don't they have special channels dedicated to footballering? Can't they go and football over there and leave us normal people alone?

And why should those of us who don't even watch normal TV have to suffer? They could still put it on iPlayer!