Selma

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Has anyone else seen it yet? I saw it last night and it really is as good as you kind of assume such a film to be. Also surprisingly violent - not that I didn't expect to see violence but not quite as brutally shot. It needed to be, don't get me wrong, but it really took me by surprise. Some stunning acting of course, and there's this scene with this 80 yearold man that is so moving and so impressive.

Plus the ridiculous timing of this film with Ferguson happening and the continued issues of Voter ID laws in the States . . . it's just . . . it's a lot to think about.

Also it was directed by a Canadian woman which of course I think is totally fantastic.

Anyway, yeah? Anyone have any thoughts?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I just saw it today with a few friends. As to be expected for both the holiday and the well-deserved Oscar nod, the theater was packed. I half-expected tickets to be sold out by the time we got there, but luckily, that wasn't the case.

In a word, this movie is powerful. It has a dirty, ugly history to tell, and it doesn't flinch from telling it at its ugliest, to make the viewer acutely aware of just how much a struggle the fight for civil rights and equality was.

I'm right with you, Toothpaste. A lot of the film made me think about current events and the correlation between then and now. And god, that scene with the old man was heart-wrenching, one of my favorites. I hadn't even heard about this movie until my friend invited me to come see it, nor did I know what it was about. I'm glad I went. It's well worth seeing.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Powerful to say the least. I guess I assumed people knew what it was about because of all the nominations it got at the Golden Globes and the Best Picture nom for the Oscars but for those who are curious:

SELMA is about the protests led by Martin Luther King Jr that took place in Selma, Alabama in 1964. I knew little of the story, but it was an international issue, my parents evidently protested in Toronto about it (in favour of the protests and against those trying to stop them - just to be clear). The protests were working to change voting restriction laws that basically meant that African Americans, even though they technically had the right to vote, were prevented from voting. So a pretty timely issue even now. But it also has a lot in common with Ferguson, with the police taking on protesters and the violence that comes from that.

The performances are stunning and the story very human. MLK is seen as a real person, not a god, and is fallible. It's really really compelling stuff.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I commemorated the MLK holiday by seeing Selma. The theater was sold out and we sat all the way at the top row.

The film didn't resonate with me the way 12 Years A Slave did, but that was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I wasn't bothered by how the LBJ/MLK relationship was portrayed the way some carping critics were. It's not a damn documentary.

Ava DuVernay deserved a Best Director nod (though she never expected to get one) and David Oyelowo made a great King, but this will be the Whitest Oscars since 1998, so no awards for them.

Screw it. I still dug Selma. :Trophy: