Glee

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for this, so I figured I'd start one.

Who else is addicted to this new show? Forget the cliches and cheesiness. The writing is fabulous! And the characters are oh-so-much fun.

If you haven't watched yet, it's not too late to get involved. The first three episodes are up on Hulu and Fox.com, and the fourth episode is airing tomorrow night.

The show got signed for a whole first season, and already has a huge fanbase. Who else has become a GLEEK?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I love that people were calling them Gleeks before the series premiere aired.

As for the show, I think it's clever and cute in parts, but it's in danger of becoming tiresome quickly. I think they can stay above that, though.

I do wish they'd iron out some of the vocals... The music is obviously all pre-recorded but I think they can do a better job of making it feel less so.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I freakin love this show! Good writing, adorable cast, interesting characters, and MUSICAL NUMBERS! I'm such a sucker for randomly bursting into song. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with it. Oh yeah, and Jane Lynch (evil cheer coach) is farkin hilarious. "You think this is hard? Try being waterboarded! That's hard!"

PS Gleek? Eeew. As of my sixth grade year, gleek meant to flick spit on somebody with your tongue. OK, yeah, the prebuscent monsters of Woodrow Wilson Junior High School did not just make that one up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gleek

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I freakin love this show! Good writing, adorable cast, interesting characters, and MUSICAL NUMBERS! I'm such a sucker for randomly bursting into song. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with it. Oh yeah, and Jane Lynch (evil cheer coach) is farkin hilarious. "You think this is hard? Try being waterboarded! That's hard!"

Pretty much how I feel. I have always loved musicals, so this show is a lot of fun. Great characters too.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
LOVE it!! Jane Lynch is teh awesome all over the place. I've loved her for years and think this is the perfect vehicle for her brand of mockumentary-style humour. Her comedic timing's fantastic. How much I enjoy an episode of Glee is almost directly proportional to how much screen time they give to Jane Lynch. Although I'm quickly becoming a big fan of the gay kid.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
LOVE it!! Jane Lynch is teh awesome all over the place. I've loved her for years and think this is the perfect vehicle for her brand of mockumentary-style humour. Her comedic timing's fantastic. How much I enjoy an episode of Glee is almost directly proportional to how much screen time they give to Jane Lynch. Although I'm quickly becoming a big fan of the gay kid.

I LOVE Kurt. And Mercedes. They're definitely my two favorite characters. If you haven't watched the preview clip for tonight's episode, well, then...I'll just let you see your yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2FMdOLyRcA

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I love Glee. I think the pilot was still the best episode, but I'm still having fun watching it.

As for the show, I think it's clever and cute in parts, but it's in danger of becoming tiresome quickly. I think they can stay above that, though.
Yeah, I am worried about that. Also it has some elements of high school sitcom, which tend to have similar storylines used between them (last episode was clearly all about "confidence," you see?), but I think they can keep it fun and fresh.

I'm predicting the head cheerleader becomes a more well-rounded character than we've seen so far. Talking back to her coach took me by surprise (pleasantly), even if it was to drive the confidence point in.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I've seen it from the beginning.

Love it big time.

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
Love the cheer coach...she has the best lines of all and always makes me crack up.

Lots of people who were on Heroes--head cheerleader, redheaded guidance counselor, barbershop quartet guy with glasses (the one they didn't want at first), Glee club leader's wife, and a few others I recognized.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, tonight's might have been my favorite so far, despite the lack of singing.

But the preview for next week suggests some tough competition.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It's simply brilliant. I LOVED tonight's episode.

I loved the gay guy's part tonight (Kurt). Excellent.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely better than the last couple episodes. A good sign. I think "Single Ladies" has passed cultural phenomenon status.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not, in fact, a fan of that particular song, but I LOVED this episode despite that. I'm an even bigger fan of Kurt than I was before. Great episode with plenty of Jane Lynch.

Caning works!

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still having trouble with the scenes dealing with the main character's relationship with his wife (which make him seem Too Stupid To Live and irritate me enough to vow never to watch another episode), but I absolutely adored the football team's last-second dance. I still laugh, just thinking about it. And Kurt. He's so sweet.

Last night's episode, while worth watching for the football team dance and Kurt, seemed a bit disjointed to me. Like stuff was being thrown into the mix willy-nilly. For example -- the scene with Kurt's father. Previously, the father has been portrayed as actively opposing anything to do with Kurt's gayness (IIRC, he took away his car when he found the box full of tiaras, or something like that), so it seemed too quick and easy to have the relationship resolved, especially with the father just being nervously incompetent, rather than intentionally horrible. And the cheerleading coach's television bit at the end didn't seem to have much to do with anything else that had gone on.

JD

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The episode is great (after the last so-so episode). The football scenes cracked me up, big time. The juxtaposition of "Single Ladies" and football jocks is brilliant. There are some cringe-worthy plot development (yeah, I kind of get irritated by the pregnancy thing: REALLY? After four months you can't tell? And now the cheerleader is pregnant, too? And she's fooling the football jock to think he's the father? That's ridiculous).

But over all, I think this show demonstrates that cliches sometimes work beautifully. The characters and plot are a collection of every cliches you can get about high school comedy/drama/musicals. But it works. It's affecting. It's cheery. It's fun. And everybody loves a crowd-pleaser. I think it's the perfect show for the recession-battered world.

(and I love that they have such racial/ethnic diversity! An Indian principal and Asian football player -- in Lima, OH? Love it)

Last edited:

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I loved last night's episode. I found Kurt's coming out moment to his dad very sweet, and the football players dancing was a complete WIN. The only things that are getting on my nerves are the baby subplots and Rachel...seriously, how many times has she quite Glee Club in the four episodes there have been so far? She bugs.

Can't wait until next week, though!

sydney

Registered
Reaction score
<two cents>
I don't like Glee, but I have to say I have the Glee version of Take a Bow on repeat. I love it<3
I flip through the show sometimes, but only because their covers are interesting.
The Single Ladies dance was pretty funny though lol
</two cents>