Do you judge a book by its title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrach

The Queen of Sweden
Registered
Reaction score
I'm calling my WIP "Tainted" for now. It's an adult fantasy novel, but people have told me that it sounds like a vampire story (it's not - I don't know enough about vamps to include them in my writing).

Does this happen to you? Do you do this with other titles?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Titles are important because they allow the reader a very small, by highly detailed view into the story.

It sounds like a dark erotic novel to me. Or a dark mainstream/murder/mystery because many have on word titles.

For Fantasy, make sure the readers know they are going to read some sort of fantasy novel. Tainted doesn't rise any fantasy thoughts in my mind. Just look at what your story is about and try to title according to the story elements.

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I definitely judge a book by it's title. A good title is that first hook.

I can't comment on whether Tainted sounds like adult fantasy since I'm not familiar with that genre. I do agree with the comment that it sounds like a murder mystery. Or perhaps a nonfiction expose about pollution.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
All the time. A good title will catch my eyes on a shelf.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a fantasy novel to me or, like WillSauger said, a dark erotic novel. I wouldn't assume vampires. Keep in mind that sitting on a bookshelf it would be likely be sorted by genre.

In answer to your first question: No, I don't judge a book by its title, but its title is what prompts me to pull it off the shelf for a better look.

As for questions 2 and 3: Does what happen to me? Do I do what with other titles?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Everyone does to a certain extent, which is why publishers will change titles that they feel will negatively impact a novel's sales, or titles they don't like, or titles that are already being used by someone else. They're a *very* important component of marketing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
No, of course not. A good title may intrigue me, but it's what's inside that matters. I've read some stinker novels with great titles, and some wonderful novels with lousy titles.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If I'm going to make a quickie decision, it's title + cover. Never title alone.

"Tainted" sounds like just about anything to me -- crime, urban fantasy, medical thriller, psycho kidnapper thingy. I'd look at the cover to get more info.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Titles don't matter as much to me as who wrote the novel. I tend to read things by fav. authors, then I go to 'similar authors,' and lastly, reviews. I might also pick up a new author if it's in a genre I like to read.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if it sounds fantasy, it'll be in the fantasy section. But I don't think vampires when I see that. And I LOVE vampires. ^_^ I think Tainted sounds like something that would have the elements of a mystery in it. Or some kind of fantasy where someone's blood or skin or personality is poisonous in some way. Or they have special powers. I tend to go off the deep end when I imagine stuff though.

I judge a book by it's cover, title, random page, and blurb...in that order. But at the end of the day, the title isn't going to keep me from buying the book. The cover won't either. The random page will.

wannabe writing

Registered
Reaction score
Titles are certainly important but I wouldn't get to hung up on it for a WIP, I find the title changes as the novel progresses. Odds are you'll arrive at something by the end of the process if not before.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
By itself, it sounds like a medical thriller. Something by Robin Cook. With the right cover, it could work for Fantasy. But, it's only one of several factors. Author, title, blurb, cover.

Darrach

The Queen of Sweden
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if it sounds fantasy, it'll be in the fantasy section. But I don't think vampires when I see that. And I LOVE vampires. ^_^ I think Tainted sounds like something that would have the elements of a mystery in it. Or some kind of fantasy where someone's blood or skin or personality is poisonous in some way. Or they have special powers. I tend to go off the deep end when I imagine stuff though.

I judge a book by it's cover, title, random page, and blurb...in that order. But at the end of the day, the title isn't going to keep me from buying the book. The cover won't either. The random page will.

Close. It's about a man who becomes fatally poisoned from using a sword enchanted by a wicked spirit.

rebekahmichel

Starving Artist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redheadsjourney.tripod.com
Somewhat, titles tend to grab my attention. Art work on the cover does too. What I usually base my decision on though is the synopsis on the back. I usually don't read the whole thing though (they give away too much) so the first sentence or two needs to persuade me.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
No, I don't judge the book by its title. Now, at bookstores and libraries, I have picked up books with titles that intrigued me, just because of the title (e.g.., The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time; Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil; Something Wicked This Way Comes; The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat). But beyond that, if the blurb or beginning didn't grab me, the book went back on the shelf right fast.

I'd recommend not spending a lot of angst-energy about your title, if you have the story well in hand. Titles are not inconsequential, but they also don't matter doodlysquat unless the story is engaging to the reader.

caw

Justin Bossert

Registered
Reaction score
A unique title could pique my curiosity, especially if the cover art ads to it. I'm not a marketing guy, but I would guess that a lot of readers decide pretty quickly if they're going to give a book a shot, so a unique title and cover art, along with a catchy synopsis could go a long way.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As much as I hate to admit it, I definitely judge books by the title. I've checked out books from the library solely because the title makes the book sound cool. I am often disappointed by the actual book.

Now if I could just come up with a good title myself. My epic fantasy is without a title at the moment.

Augsburg's Writer

Still Writing with "Training Wheels
Registered
Reaction score
The title and cover first catch my attention. If I am intrigued, Iwill read either the description or blurbs. Only if Iam still interested, will I look at the body of the book.

Civic

Isosceles Triangle Expert
Registered
Reaction score
I don't judge a book by the title, but when looking for a random new book to read at the bookshop, a snappy title gets me to look at the book. If I like the short synopsis on the back, then it's pretty much a done deal. Titles are important as a marketing tool.

I once picked up a book that had an interesting title and found the blurb intriguing, and now I love fantasy books because of that one spiffy header.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
I judge the title of a book first. A lot of times only the binding of the book is shown. The title needs to catch my eye before I even see the cover, and then the cover needs to get me to want to read the back, and then the back needs to make me want to read the first few pages and If I like the pages, THEN I will buy the book.

So yeah I judge books by their titles. I don't know whether "Tainted" is a vampire book, but most publishers change the titles anyway, unless they really like them. I wouldn't worry too much.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, when I see an book by an unknown author, the title is our first greeting. Whether it's a spine facing outwards on a bookshop shelf, a rec on Amazon/ebay, or a review in a Sunday newspaper.

Also, a title can tell me straight off what kind of sub-genre is. When I'm browsing the shelves - because I'm a fan of all things Roman - I'm looking for something that is recognisably Roman, so key words like 'Eagle,' 'Legion' or 'Vespasian' stick out a mile. Then titles also reveal other things like: 'The Praetorian' [military HF], 'Empress of Rome' [Romance HF] or 'Wolf Hall' [Literary HF]

Status
Not open for further replies.