Status
Not open for further replies.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I have published in two genres, horror and Historical Fiction, and sold to film and TV in Contemporary Action, Romance, and Western. I have written for hire and as the story inspires me regardless of genre. It depends upon the writer.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've written epic secondary world fantasy, MG contemporary fantasy, and dabbled in science fiction. Of course, those are all pretty similar.

Coop720

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! All the time haha, I can't help it!

I've written two high fantasy novels, I am now writing a upper young adult/contemporary/humour/drama novel. In the works I have other things in mind, but I switch about so much!

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I write what the story needs. No need to 'switch gears'. Story A is urban fantasy, Story B is high fantasy, Story C is romance, Story D is erotica. They all are stories that have taken on 'that form' to be told.

I guess the insinuation of 'switching gears' indicates some sort of forced process to me. The development of the ideas dictated the genre and not the other way around.

Sorry. Not much help.

Dylan Hayes

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, absolutely. I'm published in parody/humour and poetry, and I've got ideas for high fantasy, urban fantasy and science fiction that I want to write. And that's just what I've already planned.

Whether I'm writing or not, I like to finish what I've started before I start something new. Focusing on one thing at a time helps me get the job done right.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I write the following:
Horror
Urban Fantasy
Epic Fantasy
Young Adult
Science Fiction
Paranormal Romance
Urban/IR Contemporary Romance
Historical Romance
Magical Realism
Erotica( A new one for me!)

I switch easily. I give each genre an assigned day and since all stories-no matter their genre-contain the same basic elements,it's never hard for me to switch between them.

The only issue I have is that Horror is my absolute favorite and I tend to add it where it doesn't belong. For instance,a werewolf has no business in a Sci-Fi novel but I found myself writing one in anyway. I think your dominant genre will influence all the others you write because I do this repeatedly. My Beta was quite confused to see blood and gore in a romance novel.

I am working on this!

As for finishing,I always finish what I write. I write in multiple books at the same time but set a deadline for each one. I have a set word count that I will meet come hell or Tupac's resurrection. I have a very specific time frame where the Internet,phone and TV are turned off. During that time,the sole purpose is to write. I am a pantser and don't edit as I go. Writing a thousand page outline and going over every single word repeatedly but never putting anything into your novel makes no sense to me.

I say get on with it!

HeavilyMedicated

Registered
Reaction score
My ideas seem to be mostly sci-fi, but I have ones that are horror and mystery. I also have ideas for literary fiction, but they intimidate me the most. :p

There are a couple of genres within my seemingly never ending WIP.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on two fantasy books and an erotica book. For a long time (like 4 years) I focused exclusively on fantasy, but it can be fun to switch things up with another genre occasionally.

I carefully considered whether I could write quickly enough to sustain two pen names before I started taking the erotic work seriously, though. Unless you're one of the lucky few who becomes a bestseller quickly, making a living at writing means building a readership in the genre, and any works that don't match the genre aren't going to help with that. Lots of writers have been successful across multiple genres, but you can't write everything. Plus you have to have read hundreds of books in the genre to have a proper feel for it, as well as keeping up with ever-changing market and reader expectations for each genre you write in. Two is more than enough for me.

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
I write YA contemporaries and adult urban fantasy/paranormals.

I have no idea why those two, but that's just the way I work. I've never had a UF/PR that I wanted to be YA, nor a contemporary I wanted to be for an adult-audience. And, for whatever reason, I don't have trouble switching between them. My brain just compartmentalizes naturally. But I think my music helps--I've got playlists for all my WIPs, so getting into the zone is just a play-button away.

retropaw

Registered
Reaction score
My latest piece involves Sci-Fi, a Western, Action-Thriller and Horror. 'Tis a tad tricky but enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.