Must an ending be happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
For about as many years as I've been working on my novel, I've been wondering if I should change its sad ending to a happy one. I understand that in romance novels, a happy ending is expected. But my novel is literary, and my MC was molested and still carries the scars. As a former psychiatric social worker, I know what that can do to a person, and that in real life, victims' stories often don't have a happy ending in this world.

Someone in another forum today brought up the expectation of a happy ending, which has me wondering again if I should change my story's ending. I just don't think I should--it wouldn't be true to the story. I'm reminded of Law and Order (the original) episodes. Even the mighty Jack McCoy didn't win all his cases. And that's what kept me tuning in and watching episodes until the last second. For me, it's the same with books. But do most readers feel cheated if they stick with a book until the end and don't get their happy ending? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about most, but I prefer at least some optimism in the ending.

However, many famous and well written novels and stories have sad endings. The Time Traveller's Wife and My sister's Keeper are 2 that spring to mind.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Some readers will say Yes, and some will say No. Depends on how you define Happy or not Happy...

My preference as a reader, endings should have a conclusion to all the questions and conflicts that have occurred during the course of the book and that is what makes me happy.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
The ending HAS to be logical and satisfying, as suggested by the set-up before it.

That said: A truly miserable ending is hard to pull off while keeping it satisfying - It can be done, and often is in Literary, but a bittersweet ending is easier to write and to read.

Ed Panther

Banned
Reaction score
... This doesn't seem like it can be a serious question. Haven't you ever read or watched a masterpiece with a devastating ending? There are seriously so many examples it's not even worth mentioning any.

Remember that sad endings can still be uplifting though.

BloodSpatterAnalyst

"AA" stands for Authors Anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
My preference as a reader, endings should have a conclusion to all the questions and conflicts that have occurred during the course of the book and that is what makes me happy.

I totally agree with you. As long as the important points are adressed and answered, then I'm happy. If I'm happy, I don't tend to prefer one kind of ending over the other.

Ellielle

needs something clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
I think the ending has to fit the book. Like, readers will be quite pissed if the book seems to be setting up a happy ending--is all cheerful and light and fluffy--and then all of the sudden the author yanks the rug out from under it all. But if it's clear in the book that Bad Things Can Happen, I think readers can accept an unhappy ending too. I can, anyway. An ending doesn't need to be happy--it just needs to wrap up the conflicts in the book and fit with the rest of it in terms of tone and style.

woozy

I'm the nude girl; not the creature
Registered
Reaction score
This is the type of question where I'd rather be wrong and believe the answer is "no" than accept a world where the answer might be "yes".

... This doesn't seem like it can be a serious question. Haven't you ever read or watched a masterpiece with a devastating ending? There are seriously so many examples it's not even worth mentioning any.

Thank you!!!

If there is a rule that agents or publishers won't read or will tend to nix MS with unhappy endings, I truly feel all author's owe it to the personal integrity of the craft to ignore it. Write your story with the *real* ending first. You can always write a happy ending to make it publishable later.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
God, I hope not. My book is not uplifting at the end. That said, it's labelled dark fantasy so it's not necessarily expected.

I know some agents do say they don't want downer books, but not all. So write it the way it needs to be and don't sweat it.

Last edited:

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
that was me!

Hey, didn't mean to give you the wrong impression in a short sentence.

It's not that your ending has to be happy. I think resolution is a better word. Closure. Completeness. I felt your ending was incomplete. Still not the right word, but I hope you understand better. Uhm, if someone gets killed trying to conquer his fears, that could be a complete story. But if a someone tries to conquer his fears, and never succeeds, it doesn't feel complete (assuming that's the main theme of the novel.) Sometimes there's no success like failure . . .

Remember. I am not critiquing your novel. I am critiquing your query. 90% of the time when something feels wrong in the query, it's OK in the novel. You've got 100K words to get it right in the novel, only 250 to get it right in a query. You've spent years on your novel, maybe a few weeks on your query. Much more difficult. I'm totally incapable of getting the flavor of my novel across in my query.

I really have no idea whether your ending works in your novel. How could I? I haven't read it. But I felt it didn't work in your query, and an agent might have the same problem.

So sure, sad endings can be very powerful. Look at Love Story. Your job is to convince the agent of that.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Of course not.

...Having said that, I do not like downer endings. This is probably the number one reason that I stop reading a novel part way through. I see the ending coming, flip to the end to confirm my suspicions, and chuck it across the room.

I hardly think that's normal, though.

EDIT: so, to specifically answer your question, I do feel cheated if I don't get at least a bittersweet ending, but I can't speak for most readers. Also, I try choose books accordingly. I do not understand catharsis one bit.

Last edited:

HopelessDreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe this is the pessimist in me talking, but I find books more satisfying if they don't have happy endings. How often does life end up with everything wrapped in a neat, happy bow? Novels should be realistic.

The Collector is one of my favorite books of all time, and man does it have a depressing ending. Realistically, that's the only way it could have ended without me raising and eyebrow. I don't think it would be considered a literary pioneer it didn't end on a negative note.

It all depends on the individual novel, of course. It has to have a logical ending that fits the rest of what you've written. Even novels that end on a happier note have to have some elements that don't work out for the protagonist.

DarthPanda

All hopped up on goofballs.
Registered
Reaction score
Just glancing at my top shelf: Pete Dexter's The Paperboy, Cormac McCarthy's The Road, Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood, Nick Cave's And The Ass Saw The Angel, and China Mieville's Perdido Street Station. Their endings vary from "Everything sucks and everyone dies" to "Well, shit." But they're pretty damn good. I think all of them won major awards and/or critical acclaim.

As long as it's interesting, people will dig it. But don't build up a big warm fuzzy feeling of hope all through the book and crap all over it at the end. That peeves me. If it's pretty clear from the start that this probably isn't going to end well, it's much less of a "downer". Know what I mean?

woozy

I'm the nude girl; not the creature
Registered
Reaction score
I think the question isn't whether a story can have an unhappy ending (well, duh, of course it can) or whether happy endings are more popular than sad endings (I dunno but I imagine so), but whether agents and publishers have a rule making a unhappy ending from an unknown author a nix.

I can't answer that as I know nothing about agents or publishers but I'd imagine there are some who would but many who would not. I wouldn't view an individual "happy endings only" publisher as a serious concern for my unhappy story any more than I'd view a "science-fiction" only publisher a serious concern for my non-sci-fi story.

========

This doesn't seem like it can be a serious question. Haven't you ever read or watched a masterpiece with a devastating ending? There are seriously so many examples it's not even worth mentioning any.

Huh?

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
... This doesn't seem like it can be a serious question. I was serious when I asked about this. Wouldn't waste people's time with a question that wasn't serious. :) Haven't you ever read or watched a masterpiece with a devastating ending? Sure--I suggested in my post that I prefer not having a happy ending as a given in the books I've read/shows I've watched. Said that right before asking for thoughts on whether most readers feel cheated if they stick with a book until the end and don't get their happy ending. I'd mentioned earlier that someone else on another thread commented about the expectation of a happy ending, and my story has a sad one. Maybe the confusion over whether I was serious came from just reading the thread title and not reading my post? Hope things are cleared up now. There are seriously so many examples it's not even worth mentioning any.

This doesn't seem like it can be a serious question. Haven't you ever read or watched a masterpiece with a devastating ending? There are seriously so many examples it's not even worth mentioning any.

Yeah, woozy, I'm also thinking, Huh? lol

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a difference between happy and satisfying?
The human mind seeks order. The story's ending has to make sense for it to be satisfying.

In other words, the book is a set of equations and the ending needs to be their correct solution.

When a story has a premise, the ending is the final key that unlocks the puzzle. As the reader travels through the story, their mind assembles all the little facts into a picture, and it also struggles to see the underlying logic behind that picture.

The story ending provides the final few clues that allow the reader to grasp the underlying order. At that point, they have been guided to the solution the writer wanted to "prove"--i.e. they can now say what the book's premise was.

If the book's premise is, "There is hope, but not for us," then the characters will get a sad ending but there will be hints that their world as a whole is going to get better.

If the book's premise is, "Everything is corrupt and the universe mocks us," the characters will get a sad ending and there will be no hope for their world either.

Both those endings can be satisfying without being happy. They just need to be consistent with everything that happened in the novel prior to the ending.

A book with the premise, "Love conquers all," will have a happy ending for the characters and will likely take a neutral stance on their world.

All that said, there are plenty of books that seem meant to be pure entertainment, not an argument in favour of a premise.

However, most of these have a default premise, and it's a very deep one. Human beings are social animals and have a concept of justice. Justice is not a universal concept; it's an idea specific to creatures that evolved to live and work together.

So books that are meant to be pure entertainment generally default to the premise, "Good actions are rewarded and evil ones are punished." (Where "good" and "evil" are pretty much defined as "selfless" and "selfish", i.e. either good for society or bad for it.)

And this is what provides the satisfying ending for the reader. It's also usually a happy ending, which is appropriate for books that are intended to be pure fun.

Last edited:

Joanna_Kaary

Registered
Reaction score
I like sad endings with a little bit of hope in there somewhere. Whether it's mostly happy or mostly sad, I can't stand endings where the author takes way to long to wrap things up.

kendallina

Registered
Reaction score
I really like sad endings when they seem appropriate.

I don't like sad endings when they just do it to evoke some emotion, when it seems out of place (Jodi Picoult's Handle with Care...ugh. I can't read her anymore).

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No.

It can be sad. It can be bittersweet. For example, one of my books ends with the goal being achieved, but the characters are imprisoned. Not exactly happy.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
It's not that your ending has to be happy. I think resolution is a better word. Closure. Completeness.

/\ This. /\

The story should finish what it begins. In Law & Order, even when they lost the case, or the "bad guy" got away, the questions were answered... or left hanging in a way that made you realize that there were no answers to be had. (This worked for them because part of the problem with the justice system is that you really don't know exactly what happened, either physically or in the minds of the parties involved. You can have all the evidence in the world, and still never precisely answer the question of what happened, or why... and, as cops and lawyers, they only have a finite amount of time to focus on a single case before they must move on to the next one, whether or not they reach the resolution they want.)

As for your query, I couldn't tell you, not having read it. As a reader, I'd prefer if there was some hint of hope or healing - not necessarily a "happy rainbows forever" ending, but something to indicate that the MC was starting to move forward and at least attempt to heal, that they'd passed through the heart of darkness and come out stronger. If it's just one horrible thing after another, proving again and again that scars are permanent and no happiness can be found after such physical and psychological devastation... well, it may be authentic, but that's not my kind of story.

JMHO...

Status
Not open for further replies.