Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
realmoffear.wordpress.com
Out of curiosity... I had a novelette "published" by PA (haha) several years ago. Can I turn it into a novel and submit it to an agent? If so, do I have to mention it being previously "published" even though it will be drastically different? (Same storyline, same ending, just longer and with more editing this time around!)

Thanks in advance!

ETA: The contract I signed with PA said they owned the rights to the book for seven years. That was in December 2005. If I were going to re-write it, it wouldn't be for a few more years as I've got several other books I want to work on before then. :)

Last edited:

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Out of curiosity... I had a novelette "published" by PA (haha) several years ago. Can I turn it into a novel and submit it to an agent? If so, do I have to mention it being previously "published" even though it will be drastically different? (Same storyline, same ending, just longer and with more editing this time around!)

Thanks in advance!

there's bound to be others who are better judges of this, but it left me thinking "best case you convinced an agent you're not terribly honest, worst case you could get into legal issues with a publishing house...."

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
there's bound to be others who are better judges of this, but it left me thinking "best case you convinced an agent you're not terribly honest, worst case you could get into legal issues with a publishing house...."

That's what I figured as well... I didn't have my heart set on re-writing it, although the thought had crossed my mind that I might want to in the future. :)

Thanks for your response quicklime!

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com

Thanks in advance!

ETA: The contract I signed with PA said they owned the rights to the book for seven years. That was in December 2005. If I were going to re-write it, it wouldn't be for a few more years as I've got several other books I want to work on before then. :)

Why you would want to republish it? Write some new stories and stay away from PA (haha) :D.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
If all rights revert to you on conclusion of the seven-year contract--and do check all clauses regarding start and end date, along with any screwy wording about non-compete clauses or anything in perpetuity--I don't see any reason you couldn't self-pub and retain rights in the future if you wanted to issue a revised version. It might not be the most productive use of your time, but it would certainly be legal.

At the same time, I can't see a legitimate agent or house touching this with a ten-foot pole, so if you're looking to go that direction, best write a new book.

Best wishes-- :)

Btw, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a lawyer go over that contract as part of your exit strategy, just to make sure you really are free and clear.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Never lie to your agent. Never conceal information from her.

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for your comments, everyone! :)

Again, I was not clear enough in part of my question, though. Instead of saying, "Do I have to mention" it, I meant should I mention it, because when working on my query, someone told me (I can't remember the exact phrasing) that since it was a PA book and since it sold only to my family members (and a couple strangers) I shouldn't mention it in the query. I can understand how that would not apply should I decide to lengthen it and whatnot. But I was curious what others thought.

Thanks! :)

writerjohnb

Scribbler at Large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnbushore.com
The "someone" who told you not to mention it was wrong. If it's been published, even on PA or self-pubbed, you have to mention it. I suspect "someone" wasn't involved in the writing industry.

JohnB

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The "someone" who told you not to mention it was wrong. If it's been published, even on PA or self-pubbed, you have to mention it. I suspect "someone" wasn't involved in the writing industry.

JohnB

You mean in the query, right? Just want to make sure I'm clear. :)

It was someone on AW, actually. They said that because it's a vanity publisher, it doesn't count. Again, I can't remember exactly what was said, and perhaps I misunderstood. I don't want to drag anyone through the mud who was only trying to help. :)

That being said, what should I say? I don't want the agent to think I'm an idiot for having published with PA, but it's not exactly the place to say, "Yes, I know. I was an idiot!" I was young and dumb and just thrilled that someone wanted me. Haha.

job

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
You mean in the query, right? Just want to make sure I'm clear.

No. This doesn't belong in the query.

If the agent offers to take you on, THEN you have to mention your prior publication of this work or that you're blind or in Witness Protection or take medication for depression or that you write erotica under a variety of pen names. Until you and the agent are ready to shake on an agent agreement, she's not your agent. She's just somebody you're querying.

The full-disclosure clause only applies to your agent.

mrsvalkyrie

Hounds of Justice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
No. This doesn't belong in the query.

If the agent offers to take you on, THEN you have to mention your prior publication of this work or that you're blind or in Witness Protection or take medication for depression or that you write erotica under a variety of pen names. Until you and the agent are ready to shake on an agent agreement, she's not your agent. She's just somebody you're querying.

The full-disclosure clause only applies to your agent.

Okay. That makes sense. But, um, you're joking about mentioning if I'm on medication, right? :e2cry:

So what about a query I send for another WIP, where I'm supposed to mention previous writing credits? Should I leave it out of there as well?

Sorry for so many questions. I don't want to screw anything up... :)

job

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
But, um, you're joking about mentioning if I'm on medication, right?

If a medical condition or an IRL situation will affect your ability to meet deadlines, you need to tell her. If not, you don't.

So what about a query I send for another WIP, where I'm supposed to mention previous writing credits? Should I leave it out of there as well?

PA is not a writing credit, so you don't need to mention it when querying another ms.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
The "someone" who told you not to mention it was wrong. If it's been published, even on PA or self-pubbed, you have to mention it.

JohnB

This would only be the case if you were querying the specific work in question to an agent--i.e., looking to republish it through an agent.

If not, and you're querying a different book as you've stated, a vanity press or self-pub reference doesn't go in the query. There is exactly one exception to this: your vanity or self-pubbed book sold well. And we're talking 10,000 to 20,000 copies worth of sold well. In that case, you have a previous publication credit.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The contract I signed with PA said they owned the rights to the book for seven years. That was in December 2005. If I were going to re-write it, it wouldn't be for a few more years as I've got several other books I want to work on before then. :)

If I remember correctly, PA contracts don't lapse when those seven years have passed: they are automatically renewed for a further seven years unless the author--that's you!--jumps through a series of hoops to cancel it. Please check your contract carefully and make sure you do what you have to, and don't miss that deadline.

And if I were you I'd write a new and better book, rather than rewriting this one. Chances are you're a much better writer now and will be able to write a much better book.

Status
Not open for further replies.