Still working on a first draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
I am still working on the first draft of my novel. I feel like it shouldn't be taking me this long to finish the first stupid draft. For goodness sake, if I'd outlined more prior to writing, I'd probably be editing by now.

Sorry if I sound like I am whining. This isn't my intention, but I feel disappointed with myself. Any suggestions?

PineMarten

A real pine marten!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

Everyone is different in how long it takes them to get a first draft out -- the first draft of my (trunked) first novel took over five years to write, from the initial idea and scribbled first line to writing 'the end'. I wasn't writing the whole time, but you get the idea. :)

I sometimes see posts on here that casually mention 10,000 words a day and wonder if the poster didn't accidentally added a zero. Nope.

But in other words, there are some people who are faster than the rest of us. If you want to write faster though, here are a few suggestion, in no particular order:

1) Identify what's slowing you down. Work? Poor concentration? Twitter? Then take action to take care of whatever's causing the problem.

2) Make a mental list of everything that excites you about the scene you're writing today. What are you looking forward to writing?

3) Reward yourself. If I write 4000 words this week, I'm eating sushi on Sunday!

4) It's not too late for an outline if you think you might be the type of person who needs one after all.

5) Keep a spreadsheet to track how many words you wrote today. Try to break your record every day. If it helps, add details about what helped you and what slowed you. I find I write better when I'm not miserable and have worked out much earlier in the day.

6) Try something different. I record myself speaking and then type it up, editing as I go. Instead of pausing the recording because I can't think of anything, I have no choice but to keep on talking.

7) Make sure you have realistic expectations, both of how long you expect the finished work to be and how much *you* can write in a day.

Hang in there!

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
For a start, how long has it taken?

Second, it takes as long as it takes. Some authors (usually ones who have been writing a while) draft and finish two books a year. Others take closer to three or four years, sometimes five for a single book. Don't measure your speed against anyone elses. Sometimes a long time on the same draft of the same work can be a symptom of procrastination, but not always.

Go easy on yourself. Stop beating yourself up about how long it takes, stop putting pressure on yourself to produce, and you may well find it eases up and gets faster.

And by the way, it currently takes me around 8 months to a year for a first draft. You know, as a data point.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone writes at their own pace. Don't compare yourself to the speedsters. Do what's right for you and your story.

I'd looking into what might be stalling you. Are you not sure where to go next? Then stop and outline a few possibilities. Or write through a few possibilities. Have you "fallen out of love" with the story? Maybe read what you already have and try to fall back in love with the concept.

Corey LeMoine

A decent fella.
Registered
Reaction score
One thing that I have tried to remember is that no matter how long it takes me to finish this draft, I will look back on it and be glad that I pushed through. You have spent all of the years before now not producing something, so who cares if it takes a while.

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, we all have lives outside of writing. Some of us have full-time jobs, part-time jobs, kids, social lives, etc.

You can't gauge your life to someone else's. Some write all day every day. Some only have a limited number of time a week.

With everything I had going on in my 20's and 30's, it took me 10 years to even get a first draft finished (all 700 pages of the mess). I'm still not comfortable with it, even after cutting 300+ pages of infodump and backstory. Now I have two books of a mess, but not giving up on them.

Take your time and enjoy the process. Get a writing buddy, or a crit partner who can point things out to you and help cheer you on.

Just suggestions :)

Dragoro

Learning about writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Just ask Robert Jordan he would go years between books in his Eye of the World series. It was aggravating as all hell.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Well how long is it taking you? If you are in your 40th year of working on it, yeah you're taking too long. If it's been under a year, I fail to see the problem.

Or does everyone in this thread know something I do not?

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
It takes how long it takes. Each draft is different. My first WIP took nine months. My second took less than two (though I had planned for months prior). And my current? It'll take me at least a year. Just the way the ball bounces. :Shrug:

DarthPanda

All hopped up on goofballs.
Registered
Reaction score
I feel ya. If I don't get mine finished pretty soon, I'm turning to cocaine.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
My first novel's first draft took five years, then another two years of editing before I was happy with it. My second took about six months before the first draft was done, and I'm still working on the revisions a year later. My third novel? It's been ten months, and I'm only at chapter four.

Many things can affect how quickly you write. For me, it greatly depends on how inspired I am. If I'm really into the story and can visualize every scene, then the novel practically writes itself. If I'm struggling to imagine things, or if I don't know what happens next, then it takes a lot longer.

Also, the more experience you have, the easier it will be for you to write. You'll know proper grammar, and how to avoid too many adverbs, and so on. You can do all that subconsciously and just focus on writing. But the first time around, you're still learning the ropes, so you're going to be slower.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Some first drafts took me a long time (three or four years). Others took me a month. One I finished in twelve days. Every project varies. As others have said, writing isn't a race. I mean, J.K. Rowling didn't churn out a new Harry Potter book every three months, and she seemed to do just fine.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
How long it takes to write a first draft, or any draft, is usually determined by how many hours you spend actually writing. A book that takes six months, or a book that takes three years, may have the same number of hours put into each.

It's true writing is not a race, but it's also true that darned near no one actually writes so slow that it takes five years to write a first draft. Not five years of actual writing time, it doesn't. At only one word per minute, two hours per day, you can write a 100,000 word first draft in not much over two years.

I think the thing to do is look at how many hours you spend actually writing, and how much progress you make during those hours. If both seem reasonable, then you'll find your own pace, be it finishing in three months, six months, or a year.

GiantRampagingPencil

That new author smell . . .
Registered
Reaction score
"Draft" is such a nebulous concept. I do a lot of editing as I go, so my first draft is pretty lean and polished. As a consequence, it took a lot of time.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Maybe your book is crap and you subconsciously know it. Or it's gold, but for whatever reason now is not the right time to work on it.

Then it's best to start on something else. And maybe even something else. Sometimes when you come back around to the first book you'll be fresh enough to go full speed ahead and finish it.

Or maybe not. But eventually you either have to figure out how to finish A book (if not this one). Or get out of the writing game altogether.

Reaction score
Website
www.thefaithpoliticsbaseballblog.com
I know the feeling, I'm frustrated with myself for not being farther along. I had just started plugging away at my current WIP and had 7.5k words written in 2.5 weeks, this April. My goal was to have the rough draft written and starting to edit it by the time I got back to school on Sept 4. I had a great story idea great characters

Several things got in the way. One, its a SciFi book and I needed help designing a spaceship for my MC. The design for that took several months and delayed my manuscript (was so worth the wait though). Then I got two summer jobs and had almost no time to write.

I also decided to do research into fiction writing and read books like: How to Write a Damn Good Novel by James Frey, Writing Fictions for dummies and books on POV and other things. After reading those I realized the big plot idea was good still, but the little plot ideas sucked. So I scrapped what I had and now have 4 outlined chapters, zero words written and one useless star ship design. With the plot changes I went from needing the space equivalent of a greyhound bus to the space equivalent of a Bradley fighting vehicle and therefore a whole new star ship.

chicgeek

Registered
Reaction score
It's such a process! It took about 5 years for my first real draft to finally come out, and that was after a lot of trial and error, a couple really awesome online writing courses (via UCLA's Writer Extension -- Great program! No degree necessary, kinda costly, tho) and a dedicated writing group driving me forward week by week. My "first" draft was a 20,000 word "short story" that probably took 8 months to come out, and when it was done I couldn't be sure what was wrong with it, just that it wasn't, well... right. It was probably a year before I started my first UCLA class. From the short story I took the two main characters, and the overall concept, but that was it. I started all over.

From there, I wrote in fits and starts, rewriting the first chapter three or four times before it felt right. I distinctly remember the visual when it came to me, that fourth time. My protagonist was staring up through a domed glass ceiling. It was raining. And there were bright red auxiliary lights on overhead. Weird, right? I've since ditched basically all of that, along with the 32k draft that that initial "new" chapter one spawned (That draft was only a third of the way done, too). That was pretty rough... hitting that wall, and going maybe 6 months not working on my novel at all (I tried writing a short story instead, another class... with only partial success).

From there I began to learn the true value of plan work. I fell in with an instructor who turned me onto this notion that there's something to be said about knowing how your book ends before writing a word. No, not the ultimate ending, not the four-drafts-in-super-polished ending. Just an ending. Any ending. She taught me to make choices, because you can always change them. There are no bad choices. Only choices you have to rethink, later on. The very worst thing you can do is sit on the fence, making no choices about your book's direction at all. Don't get me wrong, I still have that problem. But when I just decide to write something, even if everything in me screams that it's wrong or stupid or won't pan out, I always get somewhere. And that's ultimately the point. You're going to have good and bad days. But writing isn't about writing well. It's just about writing. And I promise you, if you just keep writing, no matter how terrible it comes out some days, you'll have enough good ones that it'll all be good eventually.

My instructor taught me how important it is to divorce your ego from your work, as best you can. To "get out of your own way" and just let the writing flow out of you. But to be intentional about your scenes, as well. That there is a very formulaic way in which you can lay out a book (in 3 acts), and each scene has to be "balanced". No more than 30% backstory per scene. And make sure that your book has three major plot elements (meaning elements woven throughout the entire book, that are are only resolved by the end), and that those play out during your scenes. Make sure that there is always "in-the-moment" conflict, which my instructor likes to call "Present Action".

Don't get caught up on everyday details. Your protagonist getting dressed, taking a shower, making coffee. Nobody cares! You're telling us about the most interesting part of your character's life. Don't dally, don't take time to set things up. The first chapter (or "scene") shouldn't just be about establishing the "status-quo" (a.k.a. what normal, everyday life looks like), it should also be about interrupting it; setting up some kind of inciting incident that launches your story.

One of the best things I've learned to do is write loose "scene sketches". Anywhere from 5 sentences to a whole page describing what I wanted to happen in the scene, keeping all of my larger storytelling goals in mind. It takes a lot of the pressure off when you're not trying to write prose and feel out the contents of your plot. I've learned to focus on one or the other. I was forced to loosely plot out my entire book via these sketches in one of my classes. I ended up ditching a lot of it, but the exercise was still invaluable, because I was able to use this tool again and again.

I rewrote my first chapter two more times before I finally got it right (and by that I mean, right for the 1st draft), and then when I finally wrote a brand new first draft in it's entirety (this was just last year) I had enough of a sense of the book's ending to write toward it, and I'd either do a scene sketch first and then write a 2-5k chunk, or I'd just pants it. Participating in NaNoWriMo helped a ton (National Novel Writing Month); those 50,000 words were the bulk of my 90k draft, which took 2 and a half months. But I'd also left my job to write full time. That sure helped.

It's taken me nearly 7 months to get to where I am now with the 2nd draft, and I'm not even done yet, although I'm 3/4ths of the way there. I rewrote a third of it in February on a mad spree, only to ditch basically all of it when I realized that what I really needed to do was sit back and plan a bit more, instead of trying to write prose. So that's what I did, doing my best to write concise "scene sketches" (starting over on what became 2nd draft 2.0) which have now morphed into what are essentially full chapters (at 3k-4k words each), but they're not "prose". They're very fluid... summary of action with real dialogue sprinkled in.

My instructor kept trying to get me to write 3-5 sentence scene plans, but that just didn't work for me. I hated having to be so concise, and found myself exerting a lot of energy, trying to shorten my scene plans. So instead, I acknowledged what worked best for me -- long, loose scene plans, and rolled with it. This draft is something of an "in between" draft. The next one will be prose, and since most of the planning is already done, it might actually be fun. I'm looking forward to it!

And that's been the last 5 years. The biggest, hardest thing you have to learn is how exactly you write a book. For me, I'm not just writing. I'm building. And that takes careful thought and precision, beyond just churning out thousands of words. But no one could teach me that. I just had to do enough writing to know that that's what worked for me.

Where there's a will, there's most certainly a way. Asking for help is a good start. I'd advise looking into some writing courses. And if you're tight on time or funds, refer back to the works of fiction that inspired you to write whatever you're writing in the first place. I'm writing Young Adult Dystopian, personally, and I often open up 'The Hunger Games' and read a chapter, and think to myself: "Okay, how much did she accomplish in this chapter, storytelling wise?". Then I get back into my book and try to make sure I've accomplished just as much. It can really help to have a concrete template to refer back to.

Aaanyways, I'm rambling. That's the most I'll apologize for my lengthy posts, though. I'm a novel writer for a reason ;).

Best of luck to you.

-- Emma

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, each book took a different amount of time. First book ever took six months - but SUCKED. Second book took 1 year to draft, another year to trunk. Book 3 was drafted in about six months, edited until I cried, then trunked another three months later. My current "wip" took over two years to write a draft.

Theundergroundauthor

Believe in yourself!
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you're a full-time novelist, I don't think it should be something to worry about! The idea for WIP came to me in about 2006! I didn't start writing until Nov 2011 because life got in the way. It's now the middle of September and I won't be finished until around the end of the year because I have a full-time job and a life to lead!

I find it helps to have the goal to finish within a reasonable timeframe (so, I actually get writing done), but also not to put pressure on myself to finish as soon as possible. Just write and eventually, it will be done!

dogpie

Registered
Reaction score
Just write. Push it out and write.

Status
Not open for further replies.