Ending trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloridianWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently nearing the ending of my first novel in what I want to be a trilogy, but I realize there is a slight problem. I always hear that a novel in a series should always be able to stand alone but it's currently going to end in a cliffhanger. How do I remedy this? Or should I just go along with the cliffhanger ending?

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It depends... did your MC succeed in accomplishing what he/she set out to accomplish? It's ok if there are a few small ties left undone, but all of the subplots and major plots that were introduced in the story need to be pretty much brought together. For example, I also pictured my novel to be the first in a trilogy as well. So, the first ends with the MC finding the object she set out to find that is needed to defeat the villian, but the villain isn't completely defeated. Therefore, she has succeeded in her quest, but there is still room for more books. Hope that helps!

August Talok

Don't Eat the Grot!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tigcarson.com
I am in the same boat as well. I am writing my first novel which will be part of a trilogy. I have toiled over ending it on a cliffhanger and making it stand alone. As of now its a bit of both. My MC has accomplished his "goal" but the door was left opened. Some questions were left unanswered on purpose, but someone reading it could be satisfied simply reading the one story. I think a flat out cliffhanger might leave a bad taste in some peoples mouths. If you can do somehow do both... that would be best... in my humble opinion.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
This gets asked all the time but I cannot find the most recent thread with some good responses. I am not fond of the AW search. :(

Anyway, I think endings have to satisfy a reader but that doesn't mean that it has to be wrapped in a perfect package. Every day is a struggle for every person on the planet. Every person has more than one problem at a time.

In the end, you agent will tell you what to do. Write both endings and have your options ready when/if asked.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
a cliffhanger is generally an issue in that

1) a lot of folks don't care for outright cliffhangers in the first place....even most books in series end up a major crisis, if not the over-arching one, every single episode. In Harry Potter, for example, each book was 1 year, and 1 dilemma....and they were "fixed" by the end, despite Voldemort still being out there.

2) regardless of 1, a cliffhanger is a bit of a risk-multiplier, as book 1 is at least partially tied to book 2 now. this only ups the risk for an agent with a new writer.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Use this as a possible measuring stick: If I shell out money for story #1 only to find out that to get a satisfying ending I'll have to buy story #2 or even #3, you will not get a penny of mine beyond what I put out for the first story. Ever.

From a publisher's view--if story #1 doesn't sell, there will likely be no #2 or #3. To sell #1 you will have to satisfy the readers, who are seldom happy with a "to be continued..." ending no matter how dramatic or suspenseful it is.

FloridianWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Well I do believe I end it with a mix of both now that I've read all of the responses. They complete the goal that made them go on the mission in the first place. Most of the subplots are closed completely, but not all. The main dilemma is fixed but what they're fighting against is still somewhat growing strong.

There is one thing that happens at the end that I believe qualifies it as a cliffhanger, but if people are saying that it might dissatisfy readers I could try to move it to the beginning of book 2.

And thanks for all the responses.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know why you're not fond of the AW search facilities, cc.

There is an AW site-specific Google Custom search facility on every page.

Look to the left below all the posts on this page. You will see a site-specific Google search box.

The OP should try typing in the search box - Endings for first book in a proposed series

That will give links to stacks of related threads.

This gets asked all the time but I cannot find the most recent thread with some good responses. I am not fond of the AW search. :(

Anyway, I think endings have to satisfy a reader but that doesn't mean that it has to be wrapped in a perfect package. Every day is a struggle for every person on the planet. Every person has more than one problem at a time.

In the end, you agent will tell you what to do. Write both endings and have your options ready when/if asked.

FloridianWriter

Registered
Reaction score

Look to the left below all the posts on this page. You will see a site-specific Google search box.

The OP should try typing in the search box - Endings for first book in a proposed series

That will give links to several related threads.

Apologies, I didn't know there was a google search at the corner of the page. I tried the search at the top of the page but it pulled up things i didn't need. I'll remember to use that next time.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No need for apologies. I've been here for years but didn't even know the Google thingie was there until several months ago!

It's a handy wee tool for digging up old threads though.

Apologies, I didn't know there was a google search at the corner of the page. I tried the search at the top of the page but it pulled up things i didn't need. I'll remember to use that next time.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Book 1 needs a solid ending.

For book 2 it might be okay if it's a trilogy.

But not book 1.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Book 1 shouldn't end with a cliffhanger. I learned this the hard way. However, if you really feel that's what you should do, go for it. Just be aware that you might have to leave this project for when you're a successful author who can get away with cliffhanger endings.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

That will give links to stacks of related threads.

Thanks, love!! That is SO much better than the other search. It brought up exactly what I wanted to find. Just type in "trilogy" and the "Stand Alone vs. Trilogy" thread is right there. :)

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Book one - beginning, middle and end. Book two the same. Book three the same. Book four . . . A trilogy is no more than a series that the writer can't expand on!Why do we stop at Book 3? Anyway, test for me is that you can read all books as stand alone with short references to the previous. Tept the reader to pick up the previous or look for the next. Big tip is never kil off the main character :)

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
Think of Star Wars. The plot is resolved, the bad guys are blown up, Luke saves the day, etc.--but Darth Vader gets away, clearly to do evil again the next sequel.

FloridianWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies. I will definitely work on the ending to make it a stand alone title. It will probably be a little difficult, but worth it. Thanks for all the help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.