WIP hazards

Status
Not open for further replies.

weavergirl

Registered
Reaction score
I've just learned one of the hazards of letting a friend read a WIP. I have apparently hooked her and she has told me I'd better finish it 'or else'.
Fear of physical harm is one heck of a motivator, even if she ends up being the only person ever to read the finished project. (assuming I do finish it and she doesn't carry through her threat to beat the crap out of me.:))

John342

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to say that it's the opposite. The bigger hazard is that you let someone read your work and they criticize it. The first time I went there it stung so bad that I took a three month break telling myself I couldn't write, I sucked...etc.

Over time you come to realize that criticism is a helpful tool to drive you to be a better writer. If I have a beta reader that makes no comments on an "edited as well as I can" first draft, other than "I can't wait to read the next part," then I probably won't be using them again.

John

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Hurray for boasting, no harm in that, but is this a thread about the hazards of writing or the perks? LOL. JK.

Okay, um, lets see... hazard of writing: for me it's sitting on my ass for hours at a time. I work in an office so that's eight hours of sitting and then I get home and that's several hours more, be it playing video games, writing, reading, web, or catching up on TV shows.

Being sedentary is awful. I wish I could get more exercise. :(

As for your hazard, I would prefer being told by a friend that it's good but it could be great. That means that I'm headed in the right direction but that it needs more work to get there. It'd also keep me grounded, that way the fall will hurt less when rejections come.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to say that it's the opposite. The bigger hazard is that you let someone read your work and they criticize it. The first time I went there it stung so bad that I took a three month break telling myself I couldn't write, I sucked...etc.

Agree, but premature reading can be dangerous even if the reader isn't critical, but only makes suggestions and harmless comments. Even though I don't feel influenced, it can throw me right off the rails.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
One of the first lessons I learned was to not let anyone read an unfinished first draft, or even a completed first draft for that matter. By the time you're on draft #4 or 5 you realized your finished product will no way resemble those meager beginnings.

FloridianWriter

Registered
Reaction score

Over time you come to realize that criticism is a helpful tool to drive you to be a better writer. If I have a beta reader that makes no comments on an "edited as well as I can" first draft, other than "I can't wait to read the next part," then I probably won't be using them again.

John

I had a similar thing happen to me on an unfinished work of mine back when in my earlier writing days in middle school. I almost cried.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've just learned one of the hazards of letting a friend read a WIP. I have apparently hooked her and she has told me I'd better finish it 'or else'.
Fear of physical harm is one heck of a motivator, even if she ends up being the only person ever to read the finished project. (assuming I do finish it and she doesn't carry through her threat to beat the crap out of me.:))

I wish I had that problem. Well, I guess I had it with my critique group at school. They loved my stuff. The critiques here aren't quite so glowing.

John

I know how it feels when you don't think you can write. I'm going through one of those periods right now. I used to think I was good. Now I feel kind of lost as a writer, like I'm no longer sure what my style is. Critiques and writing tips can become overwhelming.

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score

John

It was this way for me too. I learned that the only way I can actually finish a book is if I don't let anyone look at it until I feel it is as good as it can be.

weavergirl

Registered
Reaction score
funny, I never thought of her as a beta reader, or as a critter of any sort, just as someone motavating me not to add to the growing colection of half told stories stashed in various corners.
We all work differently. So if it works for you, it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.