Marvel vs. DC

HeavilyMedicated

Registered
Reaction score
What about Captain Marvel versus Captain Marvel? Who would win?

Anyway, I tend to follow the characters via the live-action films and the rare DC animated film that has Supergirl (I have both). Other than that, I couldn't care less what's going on in the comics. It won't matter once the companies decide it's time to temporarily boost sales again.

I'm not into the live-action movies so much. I love The Flash TV series though.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Nerds, I see nerds...

:D

Okay, who will kill on the DC side? Well, Wonder Woman's been known to take a few lives or three (justified) and I wouldn't put it past Bats to do it if necessary. Supes...no, not unless Luthor or Darkseid or Brainiac is behind it...and even then...but watching him lose his temper is pretty awesome.

Marvel Gang...Logan's an animal. He'd kill, no question. Scarlet Witch, Cyclops (in the old X-Men comics) Jean Gray (in the movies) and pretty much any unbalanced X-person might do it. Marvel's always been about those "nutty X-Men", anyway.

Long run, though, DC will take them down.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
In the long run, it's more of a titans-fighting-to-the-end scenario. Too many of the characters are immortal, or nearly so.

The humans would go first, then the lower-tier supers and inhumans, leaving the colossal fighters to duke it out for centuries as they run into each other, Highlander-style. Supes taking the occasional swipe at Thor, or Phoenix and Wonder Woman going toe-to-toe due to a random run in here or there. Even better - Loki vs. Wonder Woman. Let the Norse god face off with the Amazonian golem.

I'd love to see a match-up between the baddies, too. You could get some *cough* killer *cough* combinations between the two universes.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the 70s and 80s, Marvel and DC did do a few cross-overs, like Superman vs. Spiderman and The Uncanny X-Men and the New Teen Titans.

There was a planned JLA/Avengers crossover, but that one I believe fell apart when Marvel and DC started arguing over, for example, whether it made any sense to have a race between Quicksilver and the Flash.

Actually, the JLA/Avengers crossover did occur when Kurt Busiek and George Perez combined to pt the two teams against a mutual threat and each other. It was one of the last crossovers between the DC and Marvel Universes before they resumed their cold war and it was glorious.

:hooray:

This is why I gave up on superhero comics entirely back in 2006 and never looked back (except reading the monthly DC and Marvel sales columns at The Beat to keep up on how the companies continue to screw up): things never change - except when they do, in which case all of the stuff that you've read up to that point "doesn't count" and "never happened".

I wish more people would realize this.

The light clicked on for me after reading Sean Howe's Marvel Comics: The Untold Story and after reading how the "work-to-hire" practice screwed over guys like Steve Ditko, Steve "Howard the Duck" Gerber and of course, Jack "King" Kirby, I felt guilty for putting so much money into Marvel's pockets for so long.

If Smiling Stan Lee doesn't completely come off as a Dr. Doom type villain, he definitely is a hustling huckster who was all too happy to grab as much glory and fame as he could even if he screwed over others in the process.

The real problem with both Marvel and DC is their dependency on super heroes and more of the same heroes (Bats, Supes, Wolvie, Spidey, X-Men, Avengers) in multiple books. That, and the whole BIG EVENT THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING be it Secret Wars/Secret Invasion/Flashpoint/Infinite Crisis/Ultimatum/Infinity Gauntlet/A vs. X/ or what the hell else the Big Two crap out when they want to zero out their core titles and sell a bunch of new Number One issues to the fanboys again.

Plus, at $3.99 and up, comic books are just too damn expensive! :rant:

I really want to write comic books sometimes.

Mostly because I have this deep, abiding conviction that I can do it better.

Maybe you can. Could you possibly write worse comics than the buttload of utterly, irredeemable crap Marvel and DC clog the racks with every freakin' week?

Mark Millar has made himself wealthy and successful cranking out utterly, irredeemable crap. :e2tomato:

What about Captain Marvel versus Captain Marvel? Who would win?

The lawyers. That's why Marvel has the only Captain Marvel and the guy at DC who had the name is now known only as "Shazam."

Mark Moore said:
Anyway, I tend to follow the characters via the live-action films and the rare DC animated film that has Supergirl (I have both). Other than that, I couldn't care less what's going on in the comics. It won't matter once the companies decide it's time to temporarily boost sales again.

Word. The majors are hooked like junkies to The Big Event instead of original and well done comics on a monthly basis. The most interesting comics today are coming from Image and other independents whom aren't cranking out the same old super hero sludge time and again.

Last edited:

Brunno Silva

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brunnosilva.com
I'm not so sure about Marvel's defeat.

The Avengers always have one or two sorcerers alongside them. They can easily defeat Superman or other kryptonians, as their powers doesn't work against magic attacks. For Magik, Scarlet Witch or Doctor Strange, Clark is just a plain human.

Batman is a serious threat, but possible to defeat if he's facing two resourceful Marvel's character at the same time, like Punisher, Wolverine or Spider-Man.

They have a Wonder Woman, but hey, Marvel's has a She-Hulk.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think the speedsters should be facing off against the speedsters, or the archers against the archers.
Actually, I thought one of the coolest things in Avengers/JLA was when the speedsters and the Archers matched up. Their particular egos turned Hawkeye and GA's interactions into a "whose arrow is bigger" contest basically, but it had a very sweet payoff.

As for the speedsters, I believe it raised the very interesting point that it depends where the fight happens. DC speedsters tend to be written as faster based on what they can do in what length of time. But they rely on the speed force. So IIRC, in DCverse, most of them were running circles around Quicksilver. But then they were to Marvelverse and most of the DC speedsters lost their powers because there *is* no speed force there.

Overall, I tend to think that the DC side would win in a straight-out brawl. But that's just because the company philosophy has led to a very different scale. DC has Superman. Marvel largely keeps the Sentry hidden away on the shelf.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
On the Marvel v. DC front, I'd just like to add this:

Thor is a god.

Though I guess the answer to the question really revolves around which incarnations are being considered here.

Reaching back into my comic book years, I remember the Michael Korvac saga in the Avengers. In the end Michael--who is also a god by that point in time--kills almost all of the Avengers (not just the core group, but the full expanded roster) and the Guardians of the Galaxy. The few powerful survivors--Thor, Starhawk, Vision--come at him but still can't win, though he basically kills himself in the end. Thor then kills Michael's wife, an Elder (basically, another god) and the daughter of the Collector.

With respect to this saga, Thor is simply way more powerful than any mortal, superhero or no. And he's still not as powerful as a handful of other immortals.

In the end, after the less-than-unstoppable are killed off (I'm looking at you, Aquaman), who are the few left standing on both sides (I'm assuming we're not including lesser known characters and villains on both sides, because those really throw a wrench into everything)? Thor is gonna be there on the Marvel side. And of course Superman is gonna be there on the DC side. Or is he?

The Superman factor isn't all that it's cracked up to be when Thor is considered in this light. And let's remember, his hammer on top of Superman means Superman is done for the battle. Thor is still a god without the hammer and can still wipe the floor with most of the heroes (on both sides, really).

/nerdvanna

Last edited: