Galavant

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
So, did anyone watch it?

I caught it by DVR, and thought parts of it were funny, but it's definitely uneven. It's kind of like watching a dress rehearsal for Spamalot.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
I just thought it was a demented parody musical. There were a few places we could not stop laughing.

If anyone shows up from history sections. Did they really have a barrier between the jousters? I always thought it was on an open field.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I just thought it was a demented parody musical. There were a few places we could not stop laughing.

If anyone shows up from history sections. Did they really have a barrier between the jousters? I always thought it was on an open field.

It depends on the time period. Early jousts were conducted without a barrier but it was so dangerous that, as the sport evolved, one was introduced.

Anyway, I was planning to see this but got sidetracked by Downton Abbey.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
OMG! That joust scene was hysterical. I could not stop laughing! But the songs are actually great and snarky and the antithesis of most songs in most musicals I've seen. Like "Not the worst thing ever" song was funny. And I LOVE the king!

It also reminds me a little bit of one of my favorite Comedy Central shows ever, Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire. Which is 100% WORTH WATCHING ALL THE TIME. :)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet but I will be VERY shocked if it makes to the end of the season without being canceled. This has "two episode wonder" written all over it.

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethlimbooks.com
It was better than I expected. I like that the episodes are only 21 minutes long...keeps the humor from getting old.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet but I will be VERY shocked if it makes to the end of the season without being canceled. This has "two episode wonder" written all over it.

It's a limited-run mid-season replacement.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score

My spouse told me it would be over four "episodes" one per week.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I loved it - but I'd watch Timothy Omundson read the newspaper, so there's that. ;)

I think it's perfect as a mid-season replacement. As a full series...I seriously doubt it would hold up.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It kind of reminds me, too, of a full-length version of the dream sequences that were used in Scrubs. Totally mental, but a lot of fun.

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
I loved it! But its right up my wheelhouse. I love fantasy, stupid humor, and great songs. My only real compliant is in the 2nd episode the song over the montage scene, I think would have been served better by seeing someone (the squire maybe) singing ala the reveal of the jester in the first episode.

21, 22 minutes is the perfect link for this, I agree. It just works for me.

Sidenote, I had actually forgotten about it until one of my publishers posted something on Facebook asking if anyone was watching it. So, I guess, thanks to them LOL.

Side-Side note, I thought I was the only one that remembered Krod Mandoon. That show was epic.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The commercials were definitely the worst part. Whoever made the decision to sing EVERY SINGLE show preview to the tune of the Galavant opening is an idiot.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Thankfully, I watched on Hulu, so I have no idea what previews you're talking about. ;)

(I live in the middle of nowhere and do not have "real" TV without buying super expensive equipment.)

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I didn't watch the commercials either- thank you DVR. I wish the squire would get a song too as well.

And isn't it just a miniseries? 9 episodes or so? I don't think it's full TV show.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
We watch everything recorded (seriously, if we are seated and ready to watch an hour show at the time it airs, we'll do something else for fifteen minutes to create a buffer large enough to spare us the indignity of commercials), but while fastforwarding, I noted that the abc show promos were being sung and rewound to watch them once. Once was funny and cute. I can't imagine suffering through them at every break.

Oh, yeah, about the show itself. It was okay. We'll watch but that's only a five hour commitment.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I love this show. Between the at-times stupid humor and the at-times brilliant satirizing of the musical format (and television casting), this is exactly what I needed to make me laugh.

And I, for one, am happy to say it's time to watch Galllll-aaaa-VAAAAAAAAAANT!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I just can make myself tolerate what's-her-name that Galvant is so bent on saving.

(Incidentally, did anyone recognize "Sid?" I knew he looked familiar, but I had to look him up to realize it was "Lee Jordan" from the Harry Potter films. It seems like several of the Potter-kids have musical talent.)

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Just watched the four available episodes, back-to-back.

The queen-bangin' jester looked a lot like a guy I know in the SCA, who has in fact dressed in a similar outfit in the past. Not the same guy, though.

Some clever songs. I'm not a big fan of show tunes, but those weren't bad.

I know it's farcical, semi-metafictional comedy, which many of the jokes coming from deliberate anachronisms -- but there were also times when I think they just didn't know any better. Still, I enjoyed it.

ETA: I wonder if they're aware there's a real place called Valencia.

Last edited:

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
(Incidentally, did anyone recognize "Sid?" I knew he looked familiar, but I had to look him up to realize it was "Lee Jordan" from the Harry Potter films. It seems like several of the Potter-kids have musical talent.)

See I know him as Magnitude from COMMUNITY

jkellerford

YA author with a flair for fantasy!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennykellerford.wordpress.com
I absolutely love this show. Its silly, nonsensical, but then that's what it's supposed to be. I was a little thrown with this past Sunday's episodes. They were with Sid's parents and then we weren't. Seemed rather abrupt. then again, that's what they're going for. Spamalot meets princess bride, meets Monty Python's Holy Grail meet Alan Menkin (sp?) Anyway, I found it delightful and will continue to tune in the next 2 Sundays. Too bad it comes on opposite the Librarians. Has anyone seen that show? Last weeks was wicked.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I was a little thrown with this past Sunday's episodes. They were with Sid's parents and then we weren't. Seemed rather abrupt.
I believe the episodes are written and edited in the 22.5 minute, half-hour format, but broadcast in an hour-long pairing. The episode about the parents ended, and a new episode (about pirates) began.

jkellerford

YA author with a flair for fantasy!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennykellerford.wordpress.com
I believe the episodes are written and edited in the 22.5 minute, half-hour format, but broadcast in an hour-long pairing. The episode about the parents ended, and a new episode (about pirates) began.

Yeah, I get that, but I thought there would be a brief blending. It just felt like a hiccup. Loved Hugh Bonneville as the pirate. This series makes me giggle. Finally a show that's not steeped in gangs, violence, sex, or reality. If I see another reality show, I think I'll puke.