W1S1 Short Fiction 2012--Sign Up Here!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
:welcome: to W1S1, Cidewalk! It's lovely to have you here :) And flash is definitely acceptable!

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
You lot have inspired me. I will try one every two months. More if I can manage it. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle with my current story, but every story is different.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
I'm in for one story each month. Honestly, I'm unofficially shooting for more than that but with all the other stuff going on (grad school, novel writing, etc), I don't want to commit to more. Here goes!

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
I'm joining...going to aim for weekly, which seems daunting, esp given the one handed typing...

But I know myself far too well. If I sign up for monthly, I'll procrastinate, and won't get squat done.

So, let the insanity begin!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. This sounds like fun. I'm going for weekly.

kywrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamiekwilson.com
I'll sign up for one a week, at least until I run out of works in progress. I need to get back into the publishing swing; two babies and two cases of preeclampsia within two years really did a number on my professionalism! So what, do we report back in every Monday? Just gripe at the pub? I'm new here, so a lifeline would be appreciated.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
:welcome: kywrite! I'm sure you'll find W1S1 gets you right back into the swing.

The official W1S1 blog has weekly check-in posts.

Also, here on AW we have plenty of hangout threads for the keen W1S1er.

There's the Check-in Lounge and Bar, for general hanging out and stuff.

There's Rejectomancy, where we can compare and commiserate over rejections.

Braggage, where we can, y'know, brag about our successes and accomplishments and suchlike.

And there are plenty of other neato threads in this room, too, so why not have a browse and jump into the pool (plus whatever other mixed metaphors you want to throw in there)? :)

cara

Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm a little late, but I'd like to sign up, I think. So, do we just write a short story and post it on the short story forum that's below (on the main forum)?
For novels it's a year, short stories every month and flash fiction daily right?
Sorry, I did read the rules, but got confused.
Thanks.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Cara!

The rules are very benign. You can set yourself whatever pace you want -- one short story per week, one per month, whatever works best for you. W1S1 is about helping all of us produce more work (be it short stories or word count on novels) but we're very flexible on how to go about that.

You don;t have to post your stories in SYW unless you want to (and *definitely* don't post them in this forum as it's public and your story will have been considered "published" and ineligible in most markets if posted here).

Meantime, check out the other threads, write your story, and join in the fun! Also, check out www.write1sub1.com -- the official W1S1 page.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I know I'm a little late, but I'd like to sign up, I think. So, do we just write a short story and post it on the short story forum that's below (on the main forum)?
For novels it's a year, short stories every month and flash fiction daily right?
Sorry, I did read the rules, but got confused.
Thanks.
:welcome: Cara.

As Alex said, you can set the pace you'd like for yourself. Some peeps go for a short story a week (flash is included), or a short story a month. This year, because i want to get a couple or three novels written, i'm going for a short story every 2 months.

The end goal is publication. So the sub part is submitting the story to venues (print magazines, e-zines, etc) that might publish it. If you're wondering where you can submit short stories, then check out the Short Fiction Markets sticky in the Short Fiction forum.

That Short Fiction forum (just below here in the Main Forum) is for discussion of short fiction writing and selling, not for posting work. If you want work critiqued, you can post it in the appropriate Share Your Work section (password 'Vista').

Hope that helps :) Any more questions, please do ask :)

cara

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much Alex and Izz, I understand now! I think I'll set myself one short story every two months, because I'm quite new and slow with editing!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Sent out my first story of the year. Don't know how I feel about it. I might send it to a few publications to increase my odds of getting mail.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well done, gettingby! :) If you do decide to send it to more than one pub, make sure the pubs accept simultaneous submissions. They should state one way or the other in their guidelines. If they don't, it's probably safest to assume they don't accept sim subs.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Izz. I did check on that was I was deciding to send it out. I am also trying to send it to publications that pay around the same and that I would be equally happy with.