The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ed Williams said:
P.S. Diana, I love ya to death, stop apologizing for anything and let's kick some of that fat, pink PA heiny.

Ed,

I didn't think I was apologizing. I've already done that. My PA experience did unscrew my head a tad, but it's back on straight again. I'm here to help with the fight, but I'm not looking back. I'm not feeling guilty. I'm not feeling sorry for myself. Heck no, this girl is once again her obsessed, determined (slightly arrogant) self. I'm writing again (finally) and the third book in my trilogy will be the best. I will not stop until I'm one of the hottest, bestselling fantasy writers ever. And when they make the movies of my books, you won't have to pay $679 a ticket (unless inflation really gets out of hand). AW memebers will get free tickets to the premieres (I'll make sure they offer free hamdogs and icees, too). There, is that better?

Okay, so let's kick some of that PA heiny you were talking about.

diana

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Ed Williams said:
...reveals a posting or two where movie adaptations of books are discussed. Folks, that's it, I predict the next PA related business venture will be:

PA Films!

Just think, PA Films! I can almost visualize someone attending a PA Film. Imagine:

Don't forget, you only get 5 free tickets to see your own movie; after that, you've got to pay to see it like every one else (though you get a discount if you buy your tickets in bulk).

Rob​

DTKelly

The Rememberer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dtkelly.net
robeiae said:
Don't forget, you only get 5 free tickets to see your own movie; after that, you've got to pay to see it like every one else (though you get a discount if you buy your tickets in bulk).

Rob[/left]

And that the movies won't be run by ANY movie theater in the country. the only way to see a PA film is to badger the local arts theater into buying your film (of which they'll be stuck with forever, unless they burn it) and showing it once for all 4 of you to see.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Ed - way funny. You should consider a career as a writer.

Back to PA - there's a thread about some authors heading to the Collingswood Book Festival on Oct. 1. I live about, oh, 15 minutes, give or take depending on the traffic, from there.

Diana, wanna check it out with me? I was considering going in as an author, but I don't think my book will be quite ready then. Hmm... something to think about though. I really wanna see what kind of a "workshop" Amo gives.

Oh, and dear Diana - you are da bomb. I may be shooting you an e-mail sometime in the near future, about a huge favor.

Note: before anyone accuses me of author bashing, I just want to clarify that I really want to know what kind of workshop it is. If it's about writing, well, I don't know enough about his work to judge how good he can workshop it. If it's about publishing, however...

Last edited:

Gratian Gasparri

Grand Inquisitor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.surprisedbycanonlaw.com
Forgiveness

Hi folks,

Welcome Jean Marie, Tracy & Argyle, and everyone else!

I'm putting the finishing touches on another book that goes off to the publisher at the end of the month and I'm also reading Uncle Jim's "Circle of Magic" series at the moment (great stuff!), so I haven't been around much these past few weeks, but here's my thoughts on forgiveness...

It is up to the individual if he or she wishes to forgive. Nevertheless, it is in everyone's best interest to forgive. While we are all responsible for our own actions, PA created a set of circumstances where inappropriate actions were facilitated and even encouraged. Forgiveness allows everyone on this side of the PA divide to come back to come together and to n move forward against PA.

Look, I know how some of you feel. One of my best friends once threatened to kill me. A long time ago I was in a cult that used many of the same bullying and fear tactics as what you see on the PAMB. I decided to take them on when I left, unlike most adherents who disappear quietly. I received all sorts of angry emails, letters, etc...

One day I received an email from one of their apologists threatening to kill me. I kept the email, but never reported it to the police since the guy lived several thousand miles away in another country. But I knew this group was crazy enough in that part of the world that he probably meant it.

We did not correspond again until a year later, when I got an email from him with the subject heading "Apology". He apologized for his threats, saying he understood if I no longer wanted any communication with him. I told him the apology was accepted, and I would be open to resuming communication.

He then shared something I found interesting; he said he was a very peaceful person, and he was shocked by his own death threats against me. It was very out of character and it was wrong. His wife and family had also been shocked when he shared it. This caused him to re-evalutate he and his family's relationship with the cult in question, at which point they decided: "We need to get out of here." He had left six months previous, but had been too ashamed up until now to apologize. I didn't hold it against him, not because I'm some kind of saint -- I'm not -- but because I know I had bullied a lot of people when I was involved in this cult, and had said and done things out of character as well.

Today, this fellow is one of the biggest critics of the cult in question, and has helped a number of other people get out. He has since told me that I had I not accepted his apology, he would have just walked away.

writerjenn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlynn.ca
TracySutterer & ArgileStox said:
What do you want us to do?

Argile Stox & Tracy Sutterer

Heal. You need to do that before you can do anything else.
Watch the board, see if there is anything you can contribute to (Ann Crispin's phase two, for example) but heal. Vent, rant, rave, and tell nasty PA jokes if you need to.
But we all know how it feels, and we all know how important it is for a 'little help from your friends' while you go through the process. You're doing it, maybe you just don't realize it yet.

Hugs and stuff,

Jenn

postshy

Registered
Reaction score
A friendly welcome to all the newcomers...

I have never posted on the PA Board, nor attended any of their conventions, so I do not have to forgive and forget because the only thing I know about any of you is what I read on the PAMB (yes I do read them). I sympathize with those who have been targeted but, hopefully, we now all have a common goal and I do not believe it says anywhere that soldiers in an army have to love each other, well, maybe some do:)

I am only a lowly flagbearer and, although I do have a book with PA, I am slowly "killing" it. I did have a website with PA but blanked it out in a fit of rage on receipt of yet another rude and condescending e-mail from them. It is still on the net, but when you click on the link - it's just white space - great! It may hurt me, but it hurts them too as far as I am concerned. However, PA, and I know you watch these Boards and obvoiusly know who I am, I am still checking on those royalties.

If each one of us does a little of what our Generals expect we are going to represent a force to be reckoned with. I have done my small part and will continue to do so. After all, I supported PA for a long time in spite of what they did to me before they pushed me over the edge. Now I am giving that same loyalty to AW. I hope you will let nothing deter you in the effort to make PA accountable for its actions.

postshy

Last edited:

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
Diana Hignutt said:
Ed,

I didn't think I was apologizing. I've already done that. My PA experience did unscrew my head a tad, but it's back on straight again. I'm here to help with the fight, but I'm not looking back. I'm not feeling guilty. I'm not feeling sorry for myself. Heck no, this girl is once again her obsessed, determined (slightly arrogant) self. I'm writing again (finally) and the third book in my trilogy will be the best. I will not stop until I'm one of the hottest, bestselling fantasy writers ever. And when they make the movies of my books, you won't have to pay $679 a ticket (unless inflation really gets out of hand). diana

Diana, your head look a bit crooked, turn it a bit to the left...now right...tad bit left. There you go, got it now.

PA would never, I say NEVER, charge $679 a ticket. They will give you the tickets for free, heck, they will even give you a dollar. They will charge $679 for the popcorn and sodas, no free refills. The movie will not be at all movie theaters, you will be forced to go to each one in person and try and weet talk the manager into playing it. The movie will be poorly dubed, like a bad Japanese kung fu movie. The credits will be badly edited and misspelled. Plus, if you do buy the popcorn it will not be ready until the end of the movie, if then. They will most likely send it to you by media mail three weeks later.

We also can't forget the specials. If you buy 50 bags of popcorn it will be fifty percent off. This just in!!!! PA Films has just partnered with Jiffy Pop Popcorn. The PA Film authors who sell the most will be featured on Jiffy Pop bags of popcorn!!! This is and will be an amazing form of advertising for your PA film.

Watch your email for a special partnership in the works with Coca-cola. We are in the process of having your PA film spelled out in ice cubes in the favorite soft drink*.

*- If the ice cubes get jumbled up in purchase and/or delivery and your PA film is misspelled we are not held liable.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
IMPORTANT QUESTION...

...to those of you who wrote the BBB recently to protest the change in PA's rating. Did you get a response from Jerry Duncan (or from anyone)? If so, could you PM it to me, or forward it to me at [email protected]? Please let me know even if you didn't get a response.

Thanks much.

- Victoria

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
I really wanna see what kind of a "workshop" Amo gives.

Perhaps he can give one on "How to confront the bullies", since it seems that he is unable to walk his talk when it comes to the advice he gives others on the PA board?

C'mon, Amo. You're still welcome to come here and "confront" us! After all that is the only way you claim that we will "shut up". I really look forward to your defense of PA taking place here where discussion is not stifled by PA itself.

You will come and "confront" us, won't you Amo? Of course you will, because if you don't it becomes obvious that the "bull-ee" is in fact a "bull-er".

Amo?

Hello?

=======================================================
My nice-o-matic is in the shop. This is a loaner.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
If someone does meet Amo face-to-face could you please ask these questions for me? I've asked him a couple of times before on message boards, but just stops posting without giving any anwers. Maybe in a situation where he can't vanish...?

1. How much have you, personally, spent on promoting your own books?
  2. Have you earned that much back in royalties?
  3. How many copies of your own book have you, personally, bought?
  4. Would you have spent less money for the same number of books by going to a short-run printer yourself?
  5. How many copies of your book have sold to someone you don't know by name, or you weren't looking in the eye when the sale was made?
  6. Have you ever had trouble getting PublishAmerica to ship the books you've ordered in the quantity you needed in a timely manner?
  7. Have you ever had trouble convincing a bookstore to stock your book?
  8. If I looked on the shelves of my local big-box bookstore, would I find a copy of your book?
  9. Have you ever published a book with another publisher so you can compare and contrast what PublishAmerica does with what other publishers do?
  10. What are your total sales?

Memphis Ed

Big Elvis fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edhorrell.com
Has anyone noticed...

I want to be extremely careful about how I ask this question. Has anyone noticed that the newer bunch of PA authors seems to be substantially less skilled in their basic writing capbabilities and overall knowledge of the industry than in the past?

While their are certainly exceptions, such as CJ and a few others, the newbies appear to be even more unaware of virtually any aspects of the profession than before. In the past, there have been new authors but many have been pretty sharp with regard to a quick grasp of what is going on around them. I don't sense that with this newer group. This group appears to be pretty happy doing "kiss kiss" on the board, congratulating each other for getting a card from Laura Bush's admin assistant, and little else.

Could it be that PA is focusing on writers like this....ones that are obviously poor writers who will by their 50 books, get quick realization that this is not their game, and go quietly into the night as opposed to the Changlings, Jean Maries, Dees, Dianas, CJs and all the others who DO have skills and WON'T go quietly?

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Memphis Ed--I actually wondered about that, too. My suspicion is that the more word gets out, the harder it is for PA to hook writers even marginally skilled in internet research, or with any contacts who have ANYTHING to do with legitimate publishing.

Too many people know too much, now.

That is not in any way to cast aspersions on the intelligence, skills, or dedication of the PAMB newbies--I just think many of them may be a step or two further removed from the writing/publishing community than were the last couple of generations.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Memphis Ed said:
...Could it be that PA is focusing on writers like this....ones that are obviously poor writers who will by their 50 books, get quick realization that this is not their game, and go quietly into the night...
Or is it that such are what predominates in the remaining pool of potential marks? It would be my guess that with the information on PA having grown, those with more sophistication are less and less likely to fall for PA's game.

--Ken

p.s. It is certainly possible to be a good writer who does not know much about writing and publishing as a business.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Writing skill -- or lack of it -- has never been part of PA's selection criteria. The only writing ability PA cares about is the ability to write "PublishAmerica" on the "Pay To" line of a check.

The facts are definitely getting out. I've heard a rumor that one of the recent crop of writers was mortified when her son came home from middle school and told her that his buddy had said, "PublishAmerica? They'll accept anything!"

=========

Another thought ... I wonder how many of the "200 Authors" are now "With the Banned"?

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
James D. Macdonald said:
If someone does meet Amo face-to-face could you please ask these questions for me? I've asked him a couple of times before on message boards, but just stops posting without giving any anwers. Maybe in a situation where he can't vanish...?

Uncle Jim, for you I will do it. Remind me in late September, will you?

Thinking on it, I'll probably hit that Book Festival myself, since it's A) so close I could spit on it B) well attended and C) good community relations to do so.I'll do a little pre-release promotion for my book. Heck, I'd even sell copies of Atlanta Nights if you wanted me to. It would be worth the $25 just to see the look on 'ol Amo's face.

Come on, Diana, you know you want to go with me...

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Mac--and precisely why Shemp might have been set up to handle this new influx of potential customers. Wiping the slate clean of the wise and articulate PA authors leaves room for a newbie crowd that is more prone to disinformation than the previous batch. Notice how the old (wise) crew was tossed, and notice how Shemp's attitude abruptly cooled to become the wise mentor, and there was nothing left on the PAMB but startled newbies. Shemp grins wickedly as his smart foes are banned, but smiles warmly (in a fatherly fashion) as new recruits replace them. PA is feeling the pinch alright. Desperated times are calling for desperate measures.

Tri

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Ten percent ... of what ...

Was this addressed before?
http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=2303
Could someone enlighten me on how illustrators are compensated? Is it 10% of sales or a one time monetary gift. I would think it would be a 10% fee on every royalty period. I was very fortunate to have a good friend illustrate my book and I want to be able share the wealth as he is a brilliant artist. ...
At least one of the responses was quite informative. Probably too late, but informative. I wonder what the illustrator's expectations were or are ... and how long a "good friend" ...

(One-time monetary gift? How about payment for service?)

--Ken

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
One time monetary gift sounds like someone's been reading the tax code. Up to a certain amount, a "one time monetary gift" can be tax free. My great aunt gave us big checks BEFORE she died, just to we wouldn't be subject to inheritance tax. That gift rule came in handy.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Memphis Ed said:
I want to be extremely careful about how I ask this question. Has anyone noticed that the newer bunch of PA authors seems to be substantially less skilled in their basic writing capbabilities and overall knowledge of the industry than in the past?
I've been following the PAMB since its inception (in 2000? 2001?) and it doesn't seem different to me than before--in this regard, at least. Inexperienced writers have been PA's core constituency right from the start.

- Victoria

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
victoriastrauss said:
I've been following the PAMB since its inception (in 2000? 2001?) and it doesn't seem different to me than before--in this regard, at least.

I'm with Victoria on this one. If you covered up the names you couldn't tell the difference between the posts being made today and the ones made two years ago. We'll be able to watch this latest batch of bright-eyed newbies follow the same path: proud of their dollar, coming up with vast and elaborate promotional schemes, lambasting the "whiners" who "didn't read their contracts," then, right around royalty time, vanishing only to reappear somewhere else on the 'net as "bashers."

They're greeted at those other sites by those who'd arrived six months before and everyone sings "Kumbaya," while the fat Dutchman counts his money and laughs.

TracySutterer & GaryRogers

Coffee Fanatics
Registered
Reaction score
Just A Reminder

The Poll on "The Writer's Mind" located on Take It Outside Board will be closing soon.

This is your chance to have the Wrath of Tracy Sutterer inflicted on Argile Stox. "May The Force Be With You."

Argile Stox & Tracy Sutterer

Status
Not open for further replies.