Dialogue Question

Whimsical Writing

Finally, I self-pubbed!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Could you please tell me which one is correct for use with dialogue?

"Don't say that," she said, quietly.

or

"Don't say that," she said quietly.

I've noticed that I'm inconsistent with this in my writing because I war with myself over this.

Thanks so much!

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably go with the second, unless you are trying to create some special effect. Use the "read out loud" test. You are replicating a conversation on paper, so that is the ultimate test. Does it sound natural to the reader/listener. YMMV

Jack McManus

smoothopr8r
Registered
Reaction score
This looks like one of those "Oxford comma" situations -- that is to say, it may boil down to a style choice where both are correct.

Perhaps a better solution would be rework the exchange to establish a quiet tone and eliminate the adverb.

My two cents, spend or discard as you see fit.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Agree with smoothop. Ditch the adverb, and you eliminate the problem. Adverbs appended to dialogue attributions are often superfluous, or often should be.

caw

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

or

I believe the second is correct. I never see commas appear just before adverbs normally.

He ran quickly.
He ate heartily.
She spent wisely.
He laughed nervously.
It inflated rapidly and then exploded.

Would you use a comma in any of these examples? Neither would I.

So based on that, I'd say "she said quietly." With no comma.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

or

In the majority of cases, you wouldn't need a comma there, unless you have a good reason to emphasize the adverb. Reserve the comma for very special situations, and otherwise don't use it. Also, make sure the adverb itself is necessary.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
There probably should not be a comma there, because "quietly" modifies "said", so you don't want to separate them.

threetoedsloth

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

or

I've noticed that I'm inconsistent with this in my writing because I war with myself over this.

Thanks so much!

Neither.

"Don't say that," she whispered. ;)

The second one is the better of the two, I agree.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I'd go for something different again, maybe: "Don't do that," she said, her voice soft.

But it depends on context and what feel you want to get over. No comma, if you go for 'quietly'.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No comma, and in proper context nobody reading that original dialogue will bat an eyelid at the adverb or wonder just how 'quietly' it was said because the individual reader will put whatever degree he wants on it to fit his understanding of the circumstances.

yosoya

Registered
Reaction score
I think both are acceptable, and it comes down to stylistic choice. If you're not trying to unduly emphasize the 'quietly', then don't use the comma. No one will notice. In my opinion, adding the comma creates a little pause in the reading, which puts stronger emphasis on the 'quietly'.

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for the second, but some of the alternatives suggested above would be better.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me, but what possible grounds are there for stating 'some of the alternatives suggested above would be better' when all there is to go on is an isolated bit of dialogue consisting of three words and a three word tag?

Another vote for the second, but some of the alternatives suggested above would be better.

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me, but what possible grounds are there for stating 'some of the alternatives suggested above would be better' when all there is to go on is an isolated bit of dialogue consisting of three words and a three word tag?

"She whispered" and "She said, her voice soft" beat the -ly adverb usage for me. Of course, variation doesn't hurt.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
After I denigrated the use of the adverb, which I did because that construction is soooo common, this occurred to me:

If you really do want to emphasize the mood:

"Don't say that," she said.

Quietly.

caw

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
"She whispered" and "She said, her voice soft" beat the -ly adverb usage for me. Of course, variation doesn't hurt.

There's no need to avoid -ly words (or adverbs generally). You're only going to tie yourself in knots trying to find other ways to say it when there's nothing wrong with -ly words in the first place. As was mentioned, "whispered" isn't the same as "said quietly", and using "she said, her voice soft" is just a wordier version of "said quietly".

Then again, if you personally don't like -ly, then fine, that's part of your style. Like passive voice, it has it's place and should not be avoided at all costs.