Question involving hyphenation and capitalizing

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to help.

A sentence from what will (please, please, please) be my query. You do not know how many drafts this thing has been through.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]This is how I would put it: Agneta takes a grueling job as a maid to claim what scanty resources she can in Depression-era California. [/FONT][/FONT]

But someone else had Depression Era California.

It's a query. I really want to get it right. What would be best, please?

Thanks, again. :)

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert, but I would keep it the way you have it in the sentence (Depression-era).

And a nitpicking comment since you're using that sentence in a query: I think you should reword it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the sad, pie-less kitty on both counts.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto. Hyphenation required, for sure. Capitalization of "era" might be proper, but isn't much of an issue. But "Depression-era" is essentially a single concept, expressed as a compound word.

caw

Last edited:

Mamitt

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]This is how I would put it: Agneta takes a grueling job as a maid to claim what scanty resources she can in Depression-era California. [/FONT][/FONT]

But someone else had Depression Era California.

It's a query. I really want to get it right. What would be best, please?

Thanks, again. :)

I would have written it like this:
[FONT=&quot]Agneta takes a grueling job as a maid to claim what scanty resources she can during the Great Depression in California. [/FONT]

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
It is hyphenated if you are combining multiple words to form one adjective. So here you would need that hyphen.

You would capitalize the "era" if that is that how it is specifically referred as (for example, the White House, not the White house). I hope that makes sense. I think it's not referred specifically that way, so it doesn't need to be capitalized.

My vote for Depression-era California.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I would have written "Depression Era", rather than "Depression-era", so I plugged them into google. Google doesn't handle them differently, so I tried Elizabeth I's reign, and there is a similar mixture, so use what you like. I think that era is a noun, and Depression is an adjective that modifies it, which would suggest caps on both words and no hyphen.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
The general rule is to use a hyphen when creating compound words that are modifiers for and before nouns. Because depression and era are joined to become a single modifier for California, the hyphen should be used.

in the Depression Era
in Depression-era California

I have seen it done both ways, however, and I doubt it would be a deal breaker either way.