When do you use a semi colon?

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
I only came here to say that the semicolon is my absolute favorite punctuation.

:nothing:

msd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
huntforkomodocracker.wixsite.com
In thirty-five years as a writer, and as an editor, I have never found a time when a semicolon was the best choice in fiction. Almost every last time, it means the writer wrote a poor sentence, and tried to fix it with a semicolon.

Few, if any, semicolons are planned before the sentence starts. The writers starts writing, realizes at some point that the sentence either doesn't say what he wants, or doesn't say enough, slaps on a semicolon, keeps writing, and Bob's your uncle.

This is a lousy way to write good fiction.

I can't remember a case where a rewrite wouldn't be better than a semicolon. But writers don't really want to rewrite. Grammatically speaking, the semicolon is in the right place, so it must be fine. It almost never is.

Do yourself a favor, do readers a favor, and when you find yourself using a semicolon for any reason, go back and read the sentence again. I'd be willing to bet you can write a much, much better sentence that includes whatever came after the semicolon, if it needs to be there, which it may or may not. Usually not.

I took a few chapters and rewrote the sentences that had semicolons as you recommended. So far you are correct. They are better without them. I will try to avoid semicolons from now on.

Thank you everyone.

caracy

Expert on Absolutely Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
In thirty-five years as a writer, and as an editor, I have never found a time when a semicolon was the best choice in fiction. Almost every last time, it means the writer wrote a poor sentence, and tried to fix it with a semicolon.

I was taught this same lesson, James.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I (Ken) guess I use semicolons when connecting sentence fragments of sorts. Commas wouldn't work. Periods either. Example to follow.

Jane went to a nightclub; met a guy; cursed her fate.

Not sure if this is allowable or not ?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say those semicolons were incorrect. I get what you're trying to do, but in your shoes, I'd use commas. (And yes, Ken and I know the absent and is understood.)

Maryn, misunderstood

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I (Ken) guess I use semicolons when connecting sentence fragments of sorts. Commas wouldn't work. Periods either. Example to follow.

Jane went to a nightclub; met a guy; cursed her fate.

Not sure if this is allowable or not ?

You run the risk of repeated water-boarding by the grammar police, Ken. Except for rare items in a series with internal commas, semicolons mainly signify connections of linked independent clauses--certainly not fragments of any sort. :Shrug:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't we do beer-boarding once in a while? That might be kind of fun.

Maryn, who'll take the lager or the Belgian ale, please

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Can't we do beer-boarding once in a while? That might be kind of fun.

Maryn, who'll take the lager or the Belgian ale, please

Wine would be even better, a fine old Beaune. That could replace "drown a kitten in cream."

waysouth

Registered
Reaction score
Answer to the thread question - never.
I have used semicolons at times, but find them a detraction. Use of the mechanics is an evolving process. They are going out of style. Many uses of commas are also going out.
I've had editors suggest I use them when I started writing (before they had word processors) and editors who said it was better to err in non-use. In the last fifty books I've written I doubt I used fifty semicolons altogether.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My publisher specifically does not want a comma before a sentence-ending too. That's one place comma usage is going out. They also don't want to see them in common exclamations like oh boy.

I don't agree with these, but it's not worth fighting for my right to comma as I was taught long ago.

Maryn, glad they're still in direct address

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, boy, your publisher is ultra modern. Your publisher is wrong to change your style, too. :D

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Yea, the style changing is what bothers me. How one uses punctuation goes a long way toward establishing a style; that's one reason why I love semicolons. Although some think that semicolons make for a denser style; they actually make for a terser style, because they cause many "and's" or other conjunctions to be deleted.

Last edited: