• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Musa Publishing

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The publisher should probably get its own thread

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Frying pan, fire?

That would be my guess.

- Victoria

Mine too.

I've seen a few Musa authors who hurried to sign with a few pubs that seem to be very new and I hope it all works out for them, but I can't help but wonder about the wisdom of it - but everyone has to do what they feel is best for themselves, I guess.

Everyone does. But still: jumping from a failed press to an untested press run by people with no publishing experience is not the best way to get your books before their potential readers.

I see nothing this publisher can offer anyone which they couldn't get for themselves through self publishing.

The publisher should probably get its own thread

Definitely.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm operating under the assumption they'll still be following the standard royalty cycle until everybody's been paid, based on the email announcing the closure.

Last edited:

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
It would appear that the sharks have scented blood in the water. I've just had my first unsolicited offer from someone who wants to reach out and help Musa authors get their books back into distribution. More in the thread for the YADS/Promo site itself.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
For me , I only had one book with MUSA, so it's not that big of a deal. granted it was one of my favorite books, but I can wait to see what I want to do with it. I have learned that not being published isn't as bad a being published badly.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
It would appear that the sharks have scented blood in the water. I've just had my first unsolicited offer from someone who wants to reach out and help Musa authors get their books back into distribution. More in the thread for the YADS/Promo site itself.

I got that one this morning! Ugh. So annoying.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
I've already posted Road Apples for sale on Amazon Kindle, and the print version is going through the proofing process. I'm so happy to have that book back in my sweaty hands, and I'm not about to throw it into the untested wild blue yonder, either.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Neither do I.

I hope that the Musa authors who read this thread are sensible enough to take their time and thoroughly investigate any publishers who might approach them.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Neither do I.

I hope that the Musa authors who read this thread are sensible enough to take their time and thoroughly investigate any publishers who might approach them.
Second that!

Feel free to contact me at Writer Beware: beware [at] sfwa.org.

- Victoria

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
We might get later ones if people bought your books through other sources than Musa for the final sale. I know one of my sales was through Amazon.

The one I got was my biggest since the first 2 months.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Musa has made a lot of mistakes. But it's really good to see them stepping up to the line now, and making sure that all their authors are treated properly as the company winds down. It's more than many small publishers do when they close their doors.

I would be very interested to read their opinions of what went wrong here, and how they would do things differently now.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
The aftermath is sad, but at least they are being orderly and relatively open about it. I would be much more likely to consider doing future business with any of the Musa principals, than I would with anyone currently running Ellora's Cave.

But keeping in mind both Musa and Aspen Mountain Press, I'd still have to see proof of marketing and a tighter focus on just one or two genres.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
I would be very interested to read their opinions of what went wrong here, and how they would do things differently now.

Many former Musa authors would likely be interested in the same, Old Hack -- not only in the management's opinion as to where and why Musa failed, but also the cold hard truth. Perhaps many of the reasons for Musa's failure(s) were already alluded to within this thread.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Musa is the first publisher I've watched closely from start to finish. I knew there were problems by mid-2012. I had a slight advantage in that 1) I'm a bit paranoid and 2) I had inside knowledge from sources I can't name to this day. But Musa was among the seven publishers I queried in early 2012. If not for one rejection letter, I might have signed with them before doubts kicked in.

The kicker? I still think Musa could have survived and thrived, with some earlier course-correcting. Publishing is a terrible business. I'm in awe of anyone who succeeds at it, because it can go so easily wrong.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Musa has made a lot of mistakes. But it's really good to see them stepping up to the line now, and making sure that all their authors are treated properly as the company winds down. It's more than many small publishers do when they close their doors.

I agree, Jane. As an AMP victim (Aspen Mountain Press) I never got a dime in royalty, never even got a statement of sales, though I knew there were sales however pitiful they may have been, and never got my rights back. Regardless of how Musa ran their business, they're ending it right, in my opinion.