• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cleis Press

bohololita

Checked the lists, but I didn't find anything on Cleis Press. Has anyone heard about this publishing company or worked with them?
I know they publishing GLBT, and I've read the submission guidelines.
I just want to make sure they are the real thing before I send them my entire manuscript.

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
Totally legit. They publish some fabulous stuff dealing with sexuality, erotica, GLBT issues, etc.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well-respected publisher in GLBT circles. I haven't worked with them, but I have a couple of the titles on my shelves. If your material fits their specs, go for it.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a story in a Cleis anthology and was very happy. Good communication, good editing, prompt payment, prompt delivery of contrib copies, and a very nice end product.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Just so it doesn't get lost in translation -- while they're probably best known for glbt, the erotica they publish is wide-ranging, not exclusively glbt.

JD

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear back on my short story sub to their upcoming anthology 'Quickies'. I got an email saying they'd get back to me soon. I'm wondering how long can I expect to wait?

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
If that's the Rachel Kramer Bussel antho I'm thinking of you'll probably hear something around October. That's what I have jotted down on my Call for Subs list so it must have been in the original call. I've worked with her three times over the last year and she's always kept to her deadlines for replies.

ETA: Yep. The original call states October 2010 for replies.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If that's the Rachel Kramer Bussel antho I'm thinking of you'll probably hear something around October. That's what I have jotted down on my Call for Subs list so it must have been in the original call. I've worked with her three times over the last year and she's always kept to her deadlines for replies.

ETA: Yep. The original call states October 2010 for replies.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
It depends on the anthology and the editor. I just sold an erotic fantasy story of around 4500 words to a Cleis collection, but the editor worked with me on cutting it down from 6K. If I hadn't shown I was willing to trim word count, my story probably wouldn't have made it in.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
It depends on the anthology and the editor. I just sold an erotic fantasy story of around 4500 words to a Cleis collection, but the editor worked with me on cutting it down from 6K. If I hadn't shown I was willing to trim word count, my story probably wouldn't have made it in.

How did you learn about their Submission Call? Their site is a little harder for me to navigate.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I didn't even go to their site. A helpful AW member posted the call-for-entries on AW's 'Paying Markets' forum, and in the Erotic forum. From there I linked directly to the editor's site and read her guidelines. This was early last summer, so I had plenty of time to think up a m/m story and get it in a month before the Dec. 15 deadline. I'd had doubts about Cleis itself, but I'd read another of the editor's anthologies and loved it.

Cleis' site is a little wonky. Most other erotic e-pubs will post their antho and short story calls in easily-accessed sections of their sites.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I found the submission call through a post on a romance forum, which the editor of the antho I'm in also belongs to. I think they also post calls on the ERWA website.

LindsayM

Registered
Reaction score
Cleis is wonderful. I've personally only worked with their marketing team, but they're fabulous. I've actually reviewed a number of their books over at literallylesbian.com, and can tell you that Cleis is responsive and very proactive about publicizing their authors, and their books are always of the highest quality.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I've sold stories to two of the Cleis Press anthologies, both to the same editor. My stories were hetero, but I believe there were LGBT stories in at least the first anthology (haven't received the contributor's copies of the second, so I don't know for sure).

I found the calls for submissions for both anthologies over at the Erotic Readers and Writers Association website, in the authors' resources area.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've sold stories to a few Cleis anthos. The editor was great, payment was prompt, cc's arrived on time. I'd happily work with them any time.

Reactions: bunny hugger

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have a turn-around time for Cleis on novels rather that short stories for anthologies?

I subbed late in April, and got a generic email saying they'd received it and asking for my patience. Stated response time then was 6 to 8 weeks. It's about 14 weeks now. Is that a 'no'?

Corollary question: Do they let you know you've been rejected?

Maryn, starting to feel antsy

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While their website does not say any version of 'no response means no,' I'm now at six months and assuming rejection on that novel.

Maryn, with a sigh

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alyson, Bold Strokes' Liberty imprint, Kensington Aphrodesia (rejected); and MLR, for print.

I haven't explored the epubs much yet. They're overwhelmingly seeking romance, and this ain't it. Plus, and it makes me a fuddy-duddy (as if using that word didn't!), I wanted print.

So I have homework to do, I guess.

Maryn, who also needs to make dinner