• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Andrea Brown Literary Agency

peevy

keeping my head
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is an old board, so maybe no one's reading it anymore?

But Michelle Andelman is my agent, and she's great! You guys should all place your manuscripts with her so we can be same-agent-buddies.

rodolfo

Michelle Andelman

How long since she signed with you? What kind of book is it -- MG or YA?

peevy

keeping my head
Registered
Reaction score
I signed with her in mid-August 2006.

My manuscript is YA science fiction/fantasy.

I know her website says she's into urban stuff and magical realism. The city in my novel plays a big part, but I have no idea if it's what you'd call "urban fantasy." No magic spells or anyting in my ms but some people go through magical/supernatural transformations.

Her website also says she's looking for Jewish themes, which aren't exactly present in my ms, but it does has some spiritual themes, as in the town follows a wacky sort of religion involving preparing for the end of the world.

Hope that helps you gain some insight.

las

hi peevy -- was wondering -- do you know michelle's general response time on fulls? or if not, what was your personal experience with her reviewing your manuscript before she signed you on?!

peevy

keeping my head
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know her general response time, but for me it was aobut 3 months after I sent her a full.

My personal experience was that I sent the ms out in May (I think) and I didn't hear anything until August, when she emailed me saying she loved the ms and was taking it to a meeting at her agency to discuss its marketability and stuff like that. A couple of days later, she emailed me to say that the meeting had gone well and could she call me? We talked on the phone later that day and discussed comments people had made at the meeting, like things I might want to revise and things they really loved, and then she asked me about myself before offering me representation.

After that, working on revisions with her was great. I'd had about 5 or 6 people critique the ms before I signed with her and she had suggestions that no one else had thought of. Plus, she's just generally nice and easy to work with.

las

thanks so much for sharing your experience! michelle has a full of mine now, and i'm waiting to hear back... so it's nice to be able to get a sense of waiting time, what she's like to work with, etc.

peevy

keeping my head
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to you. Let me know how it goes!

rodolfo

Michelle Andelman

Yes, thank you from me as well -- everybody says she is wonderful. She's got a full manuscript of mine too, though it doesn't seem to fit in her interest area. It's MG historical fiction; I was surprised that she even requested the whole book. But one never knows...

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
Rodolfo, she requested a partial from me, and I write literary fiction. I queried her, thinking it was a long shot, but I knew that Andrea Brown had a great reputation. So maybe she's making a concerted effort to broaden her list.

Anyway, good luck to you and las, and I hope you guys hear back soon.

peevy

keeping my head
Registered
Reaction score
Despite the specific interests stated on the Andrea Brown website, Michelle has said that she actually represents a pretty broad spectrum.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Peevy, do you know if Michelle, or the agency, take fantasy? It seems like they might, but in the Adult area they don't list it and in the Children's they just say Young Adult, which, to me, could mean almost anything.

peevy

keeping my head
Registered
Reaction score
They definately take YA fantasy at least. I don't know about adult fantasy. Also, it may vary from agent to agent. I would check out the agent bios on the website to make sure.

If you end up sending adult fantasy to one agent who isn't into that genre, she may pass it on to another agent in the angency who is more into the genre. I guess it's always better to try to send it to the right person first, though.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I want to submit to the agency again with my new novel, but I don't know who to submit to. Michelle Andelman seemed to like my other novel, though she passed, and gave me great feedback. Still, it doesn't seem like she has any sales. Anybody know of anything she's sold recently? Thanks.

peevy

keeping my head
Registered
Reaction score
Provrb1810meggy said:
Anybody know of anything she's sold recently? Thanks.

Yeah, she just made a sale pretty recently for a MG sf/f. And a picture book she sold is coming out in a couple of months.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of querying Michelle Andelman. Anyone know what her current email is? I've heard both [email protected] and [email protected]. I queried her about a year ago on my last novel, and she requested a partial but then sent me a form. Is it OK if I query her again with my current novel? Thanks, guys.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely would...either email addy would be ok (both are on the webpage). Just because they R one doesn't mean they won't accept a new one from you.

http://www.andreabrownlit.com/

Good luck!! They're a great agency.

rhonda

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Go for it Maddy. I've had agents form reject me in the query stage for certain novels only to turn around and ask for partials on another. It's when you query about the same novel to the same agent that they get a bit squeamish.

peevy

keeping my head
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure it couldn't hurt to send her something new. The worst that could happen is she wouldn't request anything further from you.

I know her gmail address is active, and I'm sure her other one must be if it's listed on the site.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Back in March I sent a query letter to Michelle Andelman. She responded the next morning, much to my excitement, asking for the full manuscript. I sent it to her about two days later but I haven't heard anything back since.

Should I just assume that she's passing on the project or should I send her an email asking about it?

From the website I was assuming that if you don't hear back in 6-8 weeks then that's it, but I'm hearing from a lot of people that if an agent asks for a full then they should send something back. So I don't know if I should keep hoping or just move on...

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
It's only been just over two months. I wouldn't assume anything right now--they will respond. It took about 3 months from sending my full for them to offer representation to me (I'm with Caryn Wiseman).

Good luck!! I'd just be patient. They will respond. :D

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
It's only been just over two months. I wouldn't assume anything right now--they will respond. It took about 3 months from sending my full for them to offer representation to me (I'm with Caryn Wiseman).

Good luck!! I'd just be patient. They will respond. :D

Thanks for the respose and the reassurance :). I've started sending out queries again...but I'll hold off on any more for another month or so to see.

Thanks again!

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
...but I'll hold off on any more for another month or so to see.

Don't hold off! Send out queries. And send out partials and fulls to anyone who asks. Write them down in your spreadsheet and forget about them. Once you have half a dozen fulls out, then you have reason to hope.