• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Totally Entwined Group / Totally Bound (formerly Total-e-bound)

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Extremely good to know, and thanks for sharing.

You're very welcome, Brainstorm, and it's a pleasure to be able to actually recommend a publisher for a change, rather than condemn them. :)

BTW, all my titles at TEB have been out-of-contract for a while. But I leave them there because I know I couldn't do any better elsewhere.

Good luck with your TEB title.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You're very welcome, Brainstorm, and it's a pleasure to be able to actually recommend a publisher for a change, rather than condemn them. :)

BTW, all my titles at TEB have been out-of-contract for a while. But I leave them there because I know I couldn't do any better elsewhere.

Good luck with your TEB title.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Has anyone had any problems with them? Complaints? Issues? Anything?

They really good. Their word count for short stories looks a little on the high end though. However, I'm sure that evens out with everything they provide for their writers. Their definitely a consideration.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
I've never had any problems with them at all.

They're quick to respond on submissions. I went from submitting the full MS on a Thursday to receiving an offer on the Sunday. But it does depend on how many subs an editor is dealing with.

The content and final line edits are dealt with well ahead of the publication date so there's never any last minute rush. The cover art is done well ahead of publication date. We get a royalty statement every month which shows how many books have sold, whether print or e-book. The royalties are paid monthly directly into my bank account (I live in the UK).

They are very professional and efficient.

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
To offer a bit of a different perspective: as a reader, I stopped buying Total E-Bound titles about eighteen months ago because they were pretty damn awful (I buy from a lot of epubs, with Loose iD and Ellora's Cave being faves). I see a fair few AW writers are now with them, so I hope that's a sign that they've progressed (not a dig, just to clarify!).

I have to admit, though--when I came to shop my own stuff, my previous experience was the reason I didn't consider submitting to them. It's a shame because it seems others are pleased with their experience. I hope they continue to grow.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
To offer a bit of a different perspective: as a reader, I stopped buying Total E-Bound titles about eighteen months ago because they were pretty damn awful (I buy from a lot of epubs, with Loose iD and Ellora's Cave being faves). I see a fair few AW writers are now with them, so I hope that's a sign that they've progressed (not a dig, just to clarify!).

I have to admit, though--when I came to shop my own stuff, my previous experience was the reason I didn't consider submitting to them. It's a shame because it seems others are pleased with their experience. I hope they continue to grow.

Ouch.

TEB have some good writers. I can't vouch for all of them because there are a lot. But Marie Sexton isn't to be sniffed at, nor is our very own Scarlett. My first book has been well received. Given that it's received nominations in three different categories for the M/M Readers' Group on Goodreads, it must be readable (the group has nearly 5k members).

Sorry, you've read some stinkers. But there are some good writers at TEB. Likewise there are some bad writers at some of the other biggies. It's all a matter of taste I suppose.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Well, TEB seems a lot better than some of the other places I recently looked at. I checked out a few of their free reads, and some of them were pretty good. I haven't bought anything from them yet. So, I can't really speak for that section of their site.

Reaction score

The same could be said of any major publisher.

I stopped buying books from one major publisher due to the rapey nature of much of their work. Now, I buy a book here and there to see if their tolerance of forcing sex on their heroines with the excuse "He's a shapeshifter!" has lessened.

Signs are good. But I'm still not sure about subbing there.

Danielle Lisle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daniellelisle.com
Noting the bad... but never the good. Why is that?

Ouch.

Sorry, you've read some stinkers. But there are some good writers at TEB. Likewise there are some bad writers at some of the other biggies. It's all a matter of taste I suppose.

I recently signed with TEB and all I can say is what I’ve seen so far, I’m very happy with.
Before I submitted any MS, I brought books off the publisher’s sites and I must admit I’ve seen some stinkers too. But in saying that there is also some winners. Why is it that the bad always stand out above the good?
Anyway, I submitted to Ellora’s Cave first and waited six months for them to send me a form rejection. I then sent the same MS to TEB and they picked it up in only a few weeks.
I think a lot of the time it comes down to where your MS fits and if the acquiring editor likes your work. I write Regency historical’s and TEB (a UK publisher) obviously saw something in it that Ellora’s Cave didn’t.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
I recently signed with TEB and all I can say is what I’ve seen so far, I’m very happy with.
Before I submitted any MS, I brought books off the publisher’s sites and I must admit I’ve seen some stinkers too. But in saying that there is also some winners. Why is it that the bad always stand out above the good?
Anyway, I submitted to Ellora’s Cave first and waited six months for them to send me a form rejection. I then sent the same MS to TEB and they picked it up in only a few weeks.
I think a lot of the time it comes down to where your MS fits and if the acquiring editor likes your work. I write Regency historical’s and TEB (a UK publisher) obviously saw something in it that Ellora’s Cave didn’t.

This is my experience too. I subbed Stolen Summer to one of the so-called Big ones and after a revise and resubmit it was kicked back because the editor couldn't connect with the MC. I had this blinding flash of ... something.. and realised it was probably because the novels is very 'British'. So that's when I subbed it to TEB. Best thing I ever did.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
With regards to the comment above about Total e bound posting for more submissions... I've heard rumours that all erotica publishers are short of subs at the moment. They all seem to be pushing for decent content on a number of boards.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
TEB have been great to work with. My sales have been high with them and they always pay on time.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
With regards to the comment above about Total e bound posting for more submissions... I've heard rumours that all erotica publishers are short of subs at the moment. They all seem to be pushing for decent content on a number of boards.

The surge of authors convinced that self-publishing is the way to go has left a lot of submission inboxes bereft of publishable work. This is the case with Shadowfire Press as well as a number of other publishers I've conversed with recently.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I also think the sheer number of publishers and new digital imprints has created so many avenues for submission that authors are a bit spoiled for choice.

Cassie Knight

Romance with Kick-Assitude!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassielknight.net
Definitely. I work for two houses and while submissions are coming in, it's not to the level they used to get. Although, thank goodness, neither houses have resorted to taking whatever comes in submissions. They are still evaluating the submissions and those with a great story written well are the ones receiving contracts. I know that makes me happy.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
I also think the sheer number of publishers and new digital imprints has created so many avenues for submission that authors are a bit spoiled for choice.

That might account for some of it, but I'm hearing stories from other publishers of authors pulling work so they can go the self publishing route.

Of course, some of them then regret the decision and try to come back to the houses from which they pulled said books...

Reaction score
That might account for some of it, but I'm hearing stories from other publishers of authors pulling work so they can go the self publishing route.

Of course, some of them then regret the decision and try to come back to the houses from which they pulled said books...
I know of more than one author (and I'm going to be discreet for once in my life and keep the names to myself) who has had a falling-out with their editor(s) and done exactly as Michael said -- pulled their books and self-published...this done not with a view to developing their career in a particular way, but simply in a fit of pique.

Just to make it clear -- none of the writers I know who have done this, have been with TeB. It might have happened there, I don't know, but I've not heard of that being the case.

Danielle Lisle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daniellelisle.com
I've been reading their submissions guidelines on their site, and I'm a bit confused. Do they want synopsis, first three chapters, and last chapter as attached files in .rtf or .doc format, or in the body of the email?

Regarding submitting, include your cover letter in the body of the email and attach a single .rtf file with your synopsis and your first three chapters only (or full MS for a short story). They will contact you if they want the remainder.
I have found them very quick in their turnaround and have not had a single problem with them as a publisher.