• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Donald Maass Literary Agency

hikarinotsubasa

Human, last I checked
Registered
Reaction score
If there's a bright center to the universe...
Anyone heard from Cameron McClure lately? She lists a response time of "up to 6 weeks" and it's been 7 since I queried. She does not seem to be a non-responder, but since she uses Gmail I also don't really think my query got lost. Wondering whether to nudge, wait, or assume that she's decided not to respond and think about my second choice at this agency?

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
8 months and only a partial?

I'd pass.

I mean, it's good to get such a request, but if they can't get back to you within 3-5 months then they clearly are not going to do much for you.

On to my own question...

I have this ebook published by Donal Maass on getting an agent. In it, he pretty much says that new writers cannot succeed. He says that print is going the age of dinosaurs and ebooks are the future, and that because people are getting ebooks for free so much these days, all new authors should put their own work FOR FREE out there.

Clearly I do not fully agree with that insight. For him to even suggest this makes me wonder if having him as an agent is a good thing.

Has anyone...ANYONE...recently gotten a good paying publish deal through this agency? I'm not talking "opportunity". I'm asking if the guy has helped anyone make a living?
Uh what is this ebook called? I can't see it on Amazon.I mean I only see books of his I've already read which do not say those things. Although frankly it sounds, from what your saying, like he's keeping up to date.

Last edited:

WerbyG

Wandering aimlessly in the slush...
Registered
Reaction score
Here's hoping Jennifer Jackson's turnaround time is still as quick as for others :) I subbed to her a couple hours ago and am now physically restraining myself from checking my email every few minutes :rolleyes:

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Here's hoping Jennifer Jackson's turnaround time is still as quick as for others :) I subbed to her a couple hours ago and am now physically restraining myself from checking my email every few minutes :rolleyes:

I think you can follow her blog on Livejournal where she occasionally talks about the dates and numbers of queries she's handled. I think there's a link on her website.

IsabelEmilyD

Registered
Reaction score
Amy Boggs is doing a live #querylunch right now on Twitter (where she goes through her inbox over her lunch hour, tweets the gist of each query and whether she passed or requested, and why). Good stuff if anyone's interested!

Last edited:

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
Was quite sad to have completed extensive revisions on a full manuscript at the request of the agency and then not hear back. A full year and a small handful of polite "nudge" emails (spaced several months apart) later, and not even an acknowledgement that the revisions were received. This was pretty much my dream agency so as you can probably guess, my disappointment was palpable.

Ah well, working on another novel now and moving onward.

Last edited:

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Was quite sad to have completed extensive revisions on a full manuscript at the request of the agency and then not hear back. A full year and a small handful of polite "nudge" emails (spaced several months apart) later, and not even an acknowledgement that the revisions were received. This was pretty much my dream agency so as you can probably guess, my disappointment was palpable.

Sorry to hear that, Jessica. I feel your pain :( Just don't give up - you can do it!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

Have you tried an alternative method of contact, in case your email was punted to a spam folder? I know a lot of folks using yahoo and hotmail for email are ending up in spam in various email systems due to new filtering rules...

They' were usually pretty good about responding back when I was querying (I'm a client now).

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried an alternative method of contact, in case your email was punted to a spam folder? I know a lot of folks uin this caseing yahoo and hotmail for email are ending up in spam in various email systems due to new filtering rules...

They' were usually pretty good about responding back when I was querying (I'm a client now).

Well, I did try sending from an alternate email, with the same outcome. I did not try to call because I had heard that was frowned upon - though in this case I was given the green light to call if I had any questions on the revision notes. Perhaps I should have tried one phone call?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Well, I did try sending from an alternate email, with the same outcome. I did not try to call because I had heard that was frowned upon - though in this case I was given the green light to call if I had any questions on the revision notes. Perhaps I should have tried one phone call?

I don't think there would be any harm in calling if you have the go-ahead. Mind you, I'm phone-phobic, so I might try tweeting whichever agent it was and asking if I can DM them a message...

JamesBaldwin

Fancy Dandy Man
Registered
Reaction score
I got a partial request from Jennifer Udden (who was possibly speaking for Mr. Maass, on this occasion), and was absolutely thrilled. Close to ten weeks later, I haven't heard back on anything. I sent a quick 'nudge' email at the 7-week mark, as it says their turnaround time is 4, but from reading the thread, it doesn't seem uncommon!

Any luck, Jessica_312?

TalanaRay

Registered
Reaction score
I got my rejection from Jennifer for a partial 15 months after I sent it. I had already contracted with a press by the time I got a reject.

JamesBaldwin

Fancy Dandy Man
Registered
Reaction score
I got my rejection from Jennifer for a partial 15 months after I sent it. I had already contracted with a press by the time I got a reject.

Thanks Talana, and good to know. I won't hold my breath, then.

Cassie Knight

Romance with Kick-Assitude!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassielknight.net
Hi all,

If anyone is in or going to be (or wants to be :) ) in Seattle WA October 16-18 this year, Jennifer will be one of our agents at the Emerald City Writers' Conference. I'm thrilled she's coming. She's been so fabulous in our interactions and I'm looking forward to meeting her and learning more about her.

There aren't details posted yet but the site address is:
http://gsrwa.org/ecwc/conference/

Luvspaghetti

Registered
Reaction score
Cameron McClure for Donald Mass responded to my query 30 days to almost the minute I originally sent it.

Don is here in South Texas for a week writers retreat, not the whole week but here to help nonetheless. I haven't met him but everyone I know that goes swears by him.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Queried Jennifer Udden back in early Feb, but no reply yet. According to Query tracker, she hasn't been responding to anyone, aside from a couple rejections back in Feb, and one partial on a historical novel after just 0 days back on 3/3. Don't know if this is an indication that no means no. She's all over the map (0 days to 212 days) with request times on initial queries, so I guess it's not time to give up yet.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm one of Jen's clients. She's somewhat swamped at the moment, so I'd give it more time.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

CL Polk

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I queried to Catilin in early december in response to a #pitmad request and she got back to me in two days.

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
I got a partial request from Jennifer Udden (who was possibly speaking for Mr. Maass, on this occasion), and was absolutely thrilled. Close to ten weeks later, I haven't heard back on anything. I sent a quick 'nudge' email at the 7-week mark, as it says their turnaround time is 4, but from reading the thread, it doesn't seem uncommon!

Any luck, Jessica_312?
I never heard back... After two years I'm assuming it's a "No" at this point lol :(