Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Ohio Power Outage

Some really major damage to the electric system. Estimates for restoring power to the area with outages stretch out to July 10. And our 10 day forecast isn't calling for a single day with a high under 90.

I know there are several AWers in the affected areas. I hope they see this thread and check in. Puma

rhetoric by rosalie

Registered
Reaction score
Still hot and humid here in MD. Trees down all over the streets. On our small cul-de-sac one tree fell on a neighbors car, another fell on one's house. Nothing but the sounds of chainsaws in the air today.

rhetoric by rosalie

Registered
Reaction score
Thousands of people are still without power. Some don't expect it to return to normal for about a week, which seems awfully long in this day and age. Some areas have to boil their water. No A/C in this heat has been miserable for a lot of people. In some cases it's showing in their disposition.

I'm fortunate to live in a neighborhood where the power lines are underground. The force of the wind did rattle my house and we lost power briefly, but nothing serious.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Checking in from the Southern MD area. Still some bad areas where trees exacted revenge on power lines. Roads mostly clear, though, and looking to return to normal by Tuesday. (whatever normal is, ya know?)

After Irene, this almost felt like a cake walk...

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I also hope everyone is doing well under the oppressive stretch of historically hot days.

We're finally cooling off here. Like 97-99 degrees cooling off :( I worry for the elderly, pets and folks who have to work outside. I hope everyone made it through OK, y'all. Stay hydrated!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I survived Atlanta's 106 degree all-time high record Saturday with no problem - car has working A/C as well as every building I spent time in.

Others aren't as fortunate, as there's still large power outages from Friday's storms:
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/across-eastern-us-with-1469180.html
Storms that swept across the area late Friday left 22 people dead, and nearly 1.8 million people remained without power Monday evening. Utility companies say it could be days before the lights are on again.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Colorado check-in thread (re: theater shooting)

I'm getting tweets and emails from out of state friends trying to find out if I or anyone I know was in that theater last night/this morning. Other forums I participate in are setting up "check-in threads" so that folks in Colorado can post a quick "I'm OK" or "has anyone heard from [person]?"

I'm OK.

Please, other Colorado-based members, drop a line and let us know you are too.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. :hi:

I'm here and as far as I am aware, no one I knew was at that theater. Bu it is pretty close to where I live.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Not so much a Tornado, fire or flood... but
I need to say a word of thanks...

A big-arse thunderstorm went through where I live three weeks ago and it took the power off for two and half days - but that’s almost normal here on the rural and somewhat remote mountaintop where I live.

What wasn’t normal was the lightening that took out my neighbor’s maple tree, and the electric, cable and phone lines... requiring several different trucks and days to repair. When they left, I still couldn’t make a phone call... something in my house wiring was fried. I got that fixed, yet still couldn’t get online... because my router was gone as well. =(

I have a new router now. (It’s supposed to be wireless, but it has a wire going into a electric plug and a wire going to my computer and yet it works??) I can get back online!

I can get back to AW!

So now, I need to thank everyone who emailed me with notes of concern,

and especially Suzie and Reg for filling in where you know you filled in ;)
and Cray (yes, you heard that right) for doing what he did to keep certain inmates happy. =)

I’m both delighted and yet frustrated to be back.
I’ve missed all of you!

and I’ve also missed eight pages of newbies, many birthdays, poetry prompts, reppies, and a ton of PM’s... and now, on top of all that, an even greater number of notes saying ‘Glad you’re back!’

I’m overwhelmed!...

-but I will catch up- :)

and I will thank each and every one of you!

:Hug2:

-kelly-

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
You are very much loved here, Kelly, and we care about our people. There were a lot of peeps worried about you that were thrilled to know you were ok. :)

Welcome back. :)

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Sigh. If it's like the last few storms that have passed by, we'll get a lot of rain and screaming panic and people making runs on bottled water, and then it will take the utility company three days to put up all the fallen power lines again.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I'm about 30-50 miles north of where the eye of Hurricane Sandy is coming ashore. We have some wind right now. We're as ready as we can be. Ten years ago we had the leaded glass windows from the '20s taken out and had wind-resistant windows installed. Also the roof reconfigured to (hopefully) withstand hurricane 1 force winds. We're 25 ft. above sea level and on a slight curve from the ocean so we don't have to evacuate.

Will stay online as long as we have electricity.

(Ol' stormie here really can't be blamed for this one!)

Stay safe, everyone in its path.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're getting prepared for the storm. I bought batteries, bottled water and non-perishable foods. We're hoping we don't lose our electricity. I have an electric stove so if we lose power we'll be eating peanut butter sandwiches.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're hunkered down and fully-stocked.

... Just hope we don't lose electricity, but if we do, I hope it goes out at work too.
icon11.gif