Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I texted Stew a bit ago, haven't heard back from her. If the radar is right, her backyard is getting hit pretty hard right now.

oh looky, the sirens just went off here. joy.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
In the little burg where I live there are four different departments foremergency response -- sheriffs office, police, emergency mgmt., etc. Each office has a written in mandate to activate the weather sirens if the national weather service sends out an alert. So, one alert equals four full runs of the siren, the one on the pole across the street, about 300 feet from my front windows.

Last edited:

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I'm checking in, in case anyone doesn't know I'm from the other side of the state. Don't know if anyone was worried, but I'm checking in here anyways.

Do we have any members from the Joplin, MO area? I hear they were hit badly tonight as well.

I live just south of Joplin. It's where all three of my kids were born, where I went to college, lived at one time.

My family is fine but the devastation is incredible. I'm a tornado survivor - our family lost all in a tornado when I was a teenager - but the swath of destruction that we experienced at the time was small compared to the 6-7 mile path up to 3/4 of a mile wide that this storm cut through the very heart of Joplin. The death toll grows daily and the city of Joplin will never be the same. One of the region's major medical centers is gone, three schools including the local public high school, many businesses in the busy retail district, churches, and 8,000 homes.

It's a very sobering, tragic situation.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
We came through unscathed last night. There is some damage just east of us closer to Evansville, but I'm not sure how bad it is.

The storm lines always do funny things as they come across the Wabash and we sit right on the river. Everything last night went above or below us.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
We had some downed trees and power outages but nothing serious.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
In North Georgia we have thunderstorms the last three hours. The good news is the severe thunderstorm watch we had has apparently been canceled and the worst stuff has passed. No tornadoes today.

This hail event happened about 30 miles north of me:
http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/mellish-severe-weather-possible/nCnb7/
"All of a sudden, it was literally the size of baseballs, grapefruits. I mean, there are holes in my windows, shattered my sunroof. There's only one good panel left on my car," said Kives.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tornadoes hitting Massachusetts, we're okay where I am but Western and Southern MA are getting slapped pretty hard. Hope everyone there is okay

Anaquana

needed a good laugh today
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
I'm okay here in Chicopee. There were numerous touchdowns in the area, but the news hasn't reported any casualties yet. *crosses fingers* We had some funnel rotation near my house, but thankfully it didn't amount to anything.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm okay here, the tornadoes were just south of me, though we got hailed on pretty hard. I could see the upper part of the storm that walloped Springfield and it looked very, very nasty. Reports of a lot of injuries and at least one death. )-:

Another pocket of storm moving through the area now, so we could be in for Round II.

-Suzanne

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Power died here about an hour ago. Apparently out across several counties. Not a disaster, really. "Darkness was cheap and Scrooge liked it."
ETA: Supposed to be out until sometime tomorrow.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
That video of the tornado crossing the river is really something. It looks a lot more airy than I expected it would. Thanks for posting it zanzjan. Puma

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I am fine. Family is fine. Cars and place of abode all fine.

I live in Agawam. Used to live in Sprinfield just across the river. I was SUPPOSED to be crossing the bridge into Sringfield yesterday afternoon right at the same time as when the tornado struck the bridge. But I was running late.

Power is on here. But no internet or phone or cable TV. I am pirating an unidentified rogue wireless signal from someone else in the vicinity of my apartment right now to log in and check in here in this thread.