Bret Eaton Ellis' Ugly Rants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
In the end, Bret Easton Ellis made a few sarcastic comments, none of which are even offensive by contemporary standards. A few off-handed remarks have revealed the wider "gay community" to be exceptionally unaccepting and intolerant.

Do go on. I'd be fascinated to hear more of your great learnings concerning what is and is not offensive by contemporary standards.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
The "gay community" has a evolved into a narrow-minded, fundamentalist and exclusionary community.

A few off-handed remarks have revealed the wider "gay community" to be exceptionally unaccepting and intolerant.

You're painting a large and varied group with a mighty broad brush. Maybe stop that.

Shelley

Last edited:

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
I always do my best to separate the art from the artist. If I think a story is good, I'll check it out. Regardless of the author's personality.

In a perfect world, I'd agree with this. But in our real world, supporting an "artist" (*koff*OSC*koff*) is supporting someone who in turn goes on to actively support anti-gay organizations. This guy is on the board of directors of the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), which has led the charge against gay marriage (and is largely responsible for getting Prop 8 passed in California).

To me, there's a huge difference between "personality" and "doing everything he can to make sure gays have no rights whatsoever in America."

Deleted member 42

I think nighttimer has pretty much nailed it.

But I also don't want to give certain living authors money.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Mr. AmericaMadeMe won't be welcome in this room. Don't feel like you need to respond to his comments, because he can neither read nor participate in this discussion.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
... it's like choosing to shop or not shop at a store that you know has contributed to anti-LGBT political campaigns (Target anyone? -- although apparently they've made good)....
Aw, man! Just take away my one place to shop for cheapsies that's not Wal-Mart, why don't you?

As for Mr. Ellis: I've never been much interested in his writing, but now I have a legit reason not to be.

I do miss Mr. Card, though. My whole family was obsessed with the Ender saga a while back. And I still love it.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Aw, man! Just take away my one place to shop for cheapsies that's not Wal-Mart, why don't you? it.

Haha, I know. I much preferred Target to Walmart, and still very, very rarely shop at either (once at the latter when my luggage got lost by an airline, and I was literally stuck with the clothes on my back).

Status
Not open for further replies.