Rejectomancy

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
54-day form rejection from Southampton Review.

Just got another one - 16-day form rejection from The Chicago Review.

Last edited:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
230-day form rejection from Blackbird. I am really bummed about this one. My story is running out of markets and I wish that was not the case. This story has been workshopped twice and is my most polished work. Both teachers from my workshops thought that this piece would be published. If I can't break in with this story... It just hurts when you think you might just not be good enough.

Last edited:

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, gettingby. Have you tried writing competitions instead of magazines? There might be some local to you, and if your teachers thought it should be published, it might do well. Though I'd only do that if the fees were minimal and the comp either prestigious or local, otherwise you could pay a fortune submitting over time.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Higher tier form from Nightmare, the one with, "It's nicely written and I enjoyed reading it... I look forward to seeing your next submission." I've never gotten one of these from Lightspeed, but this is my second from Nightmare.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
90-day form R from AE for a piece I was rather hopeful for.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
10-day rejection from Shimmer for a passed-up story. The wording made it seem like only one "member of the board" voted no on it. :(

Ouch - sorry to hear it.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
7 day R from Shimmer - Ms Tobler liked the writing a good deal :) but it's the same theme as another one they're publishing soon :( .

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
0-day form R Lightspeed, 2-day Nightmare.

Fihr -- Encouraging about the positive comments. Sorry they didn't buy, though.

Marzioli -- Good to hear about the higher-tier from Nightmare. That's an affirming response.

O'Dandelo -- So close. I've heard Shimmer's difficult to get into. Shows an extremely low acceptance rate on Grinder, .54 or so last I looked.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
46-day R from BCS with nice comments from H. Scott A.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Rejecto-braggage from Post Scripts to Darkness. My story was in the top 8, and all three editors loved it, but it didn't fit with the rest of the stories. They added the obligatory "Good luck placing this elsewhere" but tacked on a motivational (you should have no problem).

I'm happy with that, all in all.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Rejecto-braggage from Post Scripts to Darkness. My story was in the top 8, and all three editors loved it, but it didn't fit with the rest of the stories. They added the obligatory "Good luck placing this elsewhere" but tacked on a motivational (you should have no problem).

I'm happy with that, all in all.

Doesn't get closer than that! Best of luck with the next market.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
89-day personal rejection from Café Irreal. They said it made it to the final round. I think I am starting to hate submitting.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it's an R, but congrats on getting to the final round, gettingby, and Niccolo. Ouch!

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. My first rejection post here is not too bad. 38 days kind personal from Asimov's. (first submission for this story) Now to decide where to send it next.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Just got a rejection from Asimov's as well. Mine was a 72-day form, which kind of bummed me out as I really like this story and thought it was a good fit. Oh well, there are still lots of other places to try.