Where does your dog sleep at night.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

Our dog Leela sleeps in a crate in the kitchen. The last few nights I have sectioned off the kitchen and still 'put her to bed' but leave the crate door open. She seems to like that.

But Mr. Groove and I have been talking about having her sleep in our room.

we are not sure if we should or if she's fine and we should leave things be.

If we do decide to do it, we're not sure how to go about it.
Obviously we need to dog proof the bedroom. Right now she's only allowed in there with us, otherwise we keep the door closed.

Would we need another crate or would a dog bed work and would she stay in it or would she move around. One concern I have is that we would wake when she gets restless. Mr. Groove talks about having her on our bed, but I am not sure I want to go there. For one thing she isn't allowed on any other furniture.

Anyway, it is just something we have been pondering and I wonder what you all think. Thanks.

EDIT TO ADD 1/4/11: See my update on page four. We put a crate in our room and she still won't stay.
EDIT TO ADD 1/12/12: we got a puppy may 2011. she sleeps in our bed. she is 11 months now, probably full grown, as she is little. Leela won't sleep in our room but I put her pillow by the door and noticed she lays there some times.

EDIT TO ADD 5/11/12 OMG I am so far away from the original post now. Both dogs are allowed on the furniture, they both have crates, but Leela sleeps in the living room/kitchen/crate and Hoshi sleeps in our bed. We've decided just to let Leela be, it stresses her out when we try to bring her in our room at night.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our dogs sleep with my housemate, though the older dog will sometimes sleep on a dogbed in the bedroom. They've been trained to sleep on the bed, so unless the older dog doesn't want to jump up, that's where they are.

If she's not been allowed to sleep on the bed before, I think you've got a good bet on training her to the dogbed. However, if she's trained to the crate, she might prefer that den experience.

That's my practical experience, at least. Cesar Millan, I'm not--but I'd like to be. :D

alleycat

Waiting for Godot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My cat sleeps on top of me . . .

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha- I know. I lived with a family for a few months when I moved to B'ham. They had two cats. One had been their daughters before she went to college and he decided when I moved in that he'd sleep in my room. At first it was in a box of clothes on top of the dresser but soon he slept on my bed. One little cat sure took up a lot of bed. A couple times I woke up with him on top of me. Everything was fine until I woke up to go pee once at 4am and he decided I needed to get up at 4am from then on. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My dog sleeps on the floor, he has mattresses and a crate but seems to prefer the floor and uses lots of different places.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But does he sleep in your room or is he confined to a crate / room other than your room at night, or can he roam? If he roams, how do you keep him from getting into things?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
He roams. He is indoors when I am at work too. I guess he just has limited interest/opportunity to get into things. I never really thought about it. He has chews to chew on and limited interest in anything else. Very occassionally he will pee on something but only if I leave him too long. Hair get severywhere, but I am at peace with that ;) I think he'd get bored if he couldn't roam around, look windows, etc etc. Also it means if he gets hot he can go to a cooler area like the bathroom.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Our dog likes to be with us. Dogs are, of course, pack animals and like to be with their people. He's not allowed on the bed so that the cats can escape him if need be. He has his own, very plush, dog bed.

We solved the "roaming" problem by leaning a baby gate against the door--enough room for the cats to skulk around, but the dog can't get through. But he's a good sleeper, esp. now that he's old as dirt. :)

Put your dog's crate in your room, see how it goes! She may appreciate it more than you know.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
One of my dogs favorite spots is on the ground at the foot of the bed. I would be okay with him on the bed but he doesn't want to.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Bella sleeps on the bed and steals sheets and covers during the night. Boxers are major cuddle/kissy dogs and they tuck up against you at night. So, if you don't want a dog sleeping with you at night, don't get a Boxer.

And they fart like the dickens, too. :flag: At least I have someone else to blame now... :e2brows:

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
My current and previous dogs had dogbeds in our bedroom but they tended to migrate around at night. Current dog starts on the floor on my husband's side of the bed and moves numerous times (if I wake up she's never in the same place twice). She ranges from various places in the bedroom, to the couch, or underneath either of our desks. My husband doesn't like dogs on the bed, so she's not allowed up there.

Ironically, during the day, she sleeps under my husband's desk for the entire day without moving. (She's 14 years old.)

I guess it depends on whether you trust your dog unsupervised or not. You could crate her in the bedroom or shut her in the bedroom with you. Dogs are pack animals and do like to be with the rest of the group.

Once you let the dog sleep on the bed with you it can be hard to undo, so be sure you are OK with it before you start. Previous dog slept on the bed before I married, but afterwards my husband vetoed that behavior. It took a LONG time to untrain because the dog was very sneaky about getting up there.

Honestly, if the dog isn't crying or causing a problem, there is no reason to change where she sleeps.

PS - Is she named for Turonga Leela? :)

Last edited:

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Zuzu sleeps with us, too--we've turned into those people. (Our small emergency backup dog, who probably spent most of her first year of life sleeping rough, still prefers to curl up at night in our closet under cover of hanging pants and skirts)

We like to have her snuggling with us, but be aware that once you invite the dog into bed, that's it--you've got a bedmate for good.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
My dog snores (loud!) and farts (loud AND smelly!) all night long, so it's the crate for him. Sorry buddy.

But he's always been in a crate and seems to like it. He even naps in there--when he's not busy snoring and farting under my desk as I write.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, if the dog isn't crying or causing a problem, there is no reason to change where she sleeps.
That's sort of my thinking, too.
PS - Is she named for Turonga Leela? :)
Why yes she is. :D

Zuzu sleeps with us, too--we've turned into those people. (Our small emergency backup dog, who probably spent most of her first year of life sleeping rough, still prefers to curl up at night in our closet under cover of hanging pants and skirts)

We like to have her snuggling with us, but be aware that once you invite the dog into bed, that's it--you've got a bedmate for good.
That's funny. Did you get that from Dave Barry? I read something where he used the term "emergency back up _____" (I can't remember what he used) And started referring to things in my life that way, like the jacket in my car's backseat. Also, beverages with ice, covered, left in my car. Once a new beverage is purchased, the melted ice became the emergency back up beverage. :D

Thanks everyone for your responses. YOu are helping.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Sass--yes, the Dave Barry column where he mentions their large main dog Ernest and small emergency backup dog, IIRC, called Zippy.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh- so you were using the reference completely, where as I picked up on the emergency back up aspect. Interesting. Of course, this was before I had a dog. I have found she changes my POV on things. :)

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
And dog flatulence? Basset hound farts (Zuzu is part basset, part mystery date) should be covered by FEMA. They are an evil admixture of methane, open grave, and rotting Greenies. They laugh hollowly at open windows and ceiling fans.

Bassets have heartbreakingly doleful expressions only so you'll be distracted from the foul miasma wafting from their anal sphincters to your nostrils. Instead of bolting for a gas mask and a hazmat suit as you properly should, you heedlessly keep on with the tummy rubs and ear scritches until it's too late.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
How does my dog sleep at night? I don't know. . .after the getting into the trash, chewing up shoes, and 'accidents' on the floor. . .How does he sleep at night? It's like he has no conscious.

Oh, you mean that literally. The dogs sleep with the kids, one dog and one kid per bed.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
And dog flatulence? Basset hound farts (Zuzu is part basset, part mystery date) should be covered by FEMA. They are an evil admixture of methane, open grave, and rotting Greenies. They laugh hollowly at open windows and ceiling fans.

Bassets have heartbreakingly doleful expressions only so you'll be distracted from the foul miasma wafting from their anal sphincters to your nostrils. Instead of bolting for a gas mask and a hazmat suit as you properly should, you heedlessly keep on with the tummy rubs and ear scritches until it's too late.

:roll:

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
My dog sleeps in the floor next to my side of the bed. He has free reign of the house. He gets up periodically at night and makes his rounds then comes back. I really think he's double checking that all the doors and windows are locked :) And maybe that the teenager isn't escaping :)

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I have 5 dogs.. One dog sleeps on my pillow over my head. The other dog sleeps next to me. The other two dogs sleep with my husband, since he doesn't want to share the bed with me any longer..

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
I have 3. 2 sleep on my bed (they are small breeds) and the lab gets on the bed to say goodnight, then when Mr. Cz comes to bed, she gets down. Even if we don't tell her to get down, she does anyway, like she knows the bed is crowded.
But, if one of the kids get up to sleep on the couch, she is right there in front of the couch.