Where does your dog sleep at night.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Charlie

<-

is supposed to sleep beside the sofa (he's never been allowed on furniture or in bedrooms because of Allergic People). But since he got ill, he waits till we're asleep and slips under our bed.

The first time, the door was closed and he stood outside and tapped on it really softly until I opened it - then he walked straight past me with a kind of "pretend I'm not here" attitude and sneaked under the bed. I spent a couple of minutes whispering and hissing to him to get out (he's very obedient) but he kept his eyes closed and pretended not to hear me. So now we just make sure the door is open and we Never Mention It.

*sigh* He's so adorable. I'm so going to miss him... :(

PEBKAC2

Will crit for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Our dog, Misha, starts out at the foot of our daughter's bed. If I look in during the night she's usually moved up to lie beside our daughter in a 50-50 split. By the time morning rolls around she's sprawled out very comfortably across most of the bed and our daughter is squished up flat against the wall.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Dogs can't generalize?

My first dog, Koko, generalized everything. If you told her she couldn't get on the couch, she generalized that to "I'm not allowed on any piece of furniture, anywhere in the house, ever." Being part Australian Shepherd, she then obeyed that rule as if it were engraved in gold. One had to be *very careful* what rules one gave Koko--the generalization could be murder. I was always sorry she would never cuddle in the recliner with me...

My second dog, Skye, did not generalize at all. He did *everything* by specifics. You yelled at me for getting on the bed while you were here? Fine, I won't get on the bed while you're here. You've never yelled at me for getting on the bed while you weren't here, so that must be okay. And you said the bed, right? The bed in the guest room, the couch, the loveseat, the recliner--they are all still okay because that wasn't where I was when you laid down the law. Right--I've got it.

Some generalize, some don't.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Wherever she wants. I gave up a long time ago with Lucy Furr. She is a cat trapped in a Pekingese body.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
When I had a dog, she slept on the sofa. Or, rather, on a succession of sofas--she destroyed at least three.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Dogs can't generalize?

My first dog, Koko, generalized everything. If you told her she couldn't get on the couch, she generalized that to "I'm not allowed on any piece of furniture, anywhere in the house, ever." Being part Australian Shepherd, she then obeyed that rule as if it were engraved in gold. One had to be *very careful* what rules one gave Koko--the generalization could be murder. I was always sorry she would never cuddle in the recliner with me...

My second dog, Skye, did not generalize at all. He did *everything* by specifics. You yelled at me for getting on the bed while you were here? Fine, I won't get on the bed while you're here. You've never yelled at me for getting on the bed while you weren't here, so that must be okay. And you said the bed, right? The bed in the guest room, the couch, the loveseat, the recliner--they are all still okay because that wasn't where I was when you laid down the law. Right--I've got it.

Some generalize, some don't.

I agree. It really does depend on the dog. My male borzoi is a service dog and he was trained by us under the supervision of a professional trainer. Something the pro trainer mentioned is how well he generalizes. I've noticed that independent thinking dogs tend to be better at generalizing than dogs who look to their owners for every little behavioral cue.

The dogs who thrive on cues seem to need a lot of proofing in various situations before a command is really solid. On the other hand, dogs like my borzoi understand sit means sit even if they're mid chase or there's pointy gravel under their bottoms. It's just a matter of convincing them that it's a good idea to listen to you in the first place.

ETA: When I said before that they can't generalize, I said generalize like a human. They aren't human beings. Expecting your dog to make the connection between you waking it from a dead sleep by hitting it with a rolled up newspaper, yelling "bad dog!" and shoving its nose in the poo with the act of defecating on the floor two hours prior is a huge stretch for any animal. All it does is make them think they're going to get attacked when poop is on the floor. I had to recondition a lot of fosters who were terrified to poop in front of people, even outdoors, because of that particular housebreaking method. Strangely enough they didn't stop pooping in the house because of it. They just hid their poop really well.

Last edited:

you-know-who

Registered
Reaction score
One of my dogs liked sleeping in a crate, and the other dog will sleep on the floor, on the bed, on the couch...anywhere really.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
Back when I had dogs, of course they slept on the bed.

Daisy would take the pillow beside mine and ever so daintily put one paw -- the white one -- on my chest. Then Bebe would root under my armpit like she was digging up a badger, and shove her cold wet nose right into some good stinkiness. Lovely girls.

If your dogs don't sleep on your bed, I think you shouldn't have dogs.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Another Pyr

We adopted a Pyr. He won't replace Nina, but hopefully will fill in to do the work that she did. He's about a year and a half and his owner recently died after what sounds like a 6 month painful battle with cancer. With hospice coming and going so much the lady's husband had to keep the dog tied up so he's skittish and cringing and rather starved for affection and grooming. Just with his size and situation I'm taking it slow. We have him in the puppy zone (dog quarantine area). Last night I led the 2 female pyrs up to the fence and there was no aggression. They sniffed each other quitely and the older female has taken up a post of just waiting outside the gate. She's supposed to be spayed. At least the rescue that we got her from said so. She's never seemed to be in heat, but we never had much reason to be concerned before, having had only females. We're waiting to hear back from the vet about neutering and shots before we let him into the main pasture.

He let me pet him today and liked getting scratched. I managed to pull out some of the matted fur and found a soupy wound on his neck. The skin is not open, but it's raw from the collar on him, so I took off the collar and he looked at me, cocked his head to one side and pricked up his ears as if saying, "I don't have to wear that anymore?" then he rested his chin in my lap as I scratched his ears some more. He seems to be adjusting quickly and has a good spring in his step today.

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
Our dogs sleep on the beds. Which bed they sleep on depends on their mood. Damn are they spoiled.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Not my dogs but my boyfriend's dogs sleep in a basket in the kitchen and my grans dogs sleep in an open barn.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We finally decided to let the puppy sleep in our room. I was hesitant becuase I thought she'd move around and wake us. But as soon as I directed her to the bedroom, she laid at Mr. Groove's feet and stayed there until morning. It was like she was just waiting for us to figure it out. The adult dog won't stay in there, I wonder if she would now? Anyway it was nice to sleep all night.

HuntfortheWildborn

Registered
Reaction score
My dog sleeps outside in her kennel. Lol but the cat gets to come and go in and out as she pleases. Dog - who happens to be a Great Dane with a killer wag in her tail - does not think that's very fair.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Puppy incorporated

He seems to be part of the flock. Great Pyrs were named great not for their size which is considerable, but for their Great temperament. He patrols vigilantly...and keeps the helicopters from landing as well as his beloved predecescor. He seems so happy to see me when I climb into the pasture and likes so much to have his back scratched. I can't blame the now oldest Pyr who wants to be scratched but for whom scratching is painful. She only lets me scratch her. I think we have the same tick borne illness and some places (like the limbs) hurt too much.

BTW if you have a dog or any other animal outside who might have been bit by ticks, the part of the neck under the ears seems to be a place that is not painful to scratch...

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score
My German shepherd gets literally in the bed. Under the covers with his head on a pillow.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
My dog sleeps in his bed beside mine at night. During the day, he sleeps in his day bed or on the sofa if I'm not home.

StephenD

"progress"
Registered
Reaction score
my dog sleeps on the floor on my wife's side of the bed. my cat sleeps outside

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, our younger borzoi has taken to sleeping on my daughter's bed now. That's fine by me as her manners are good, and it keeps my daughter from fussing about being scared in her room at night.

I'm kind of bummed neither of our dogs will probably be alive when she's in high school. We'll have to get a kuvasz for her bed dog at some point before then... just in case any boys come over.

TamaraLynne

Registered
Reaction score
My dog Mia sleeps in the bed. She starts off on the loveseat in our room and as soon as hubby is asleep she jumps up and sleeps right on top of me...mostly on my feet :) and if I move to the edge of the bed she will sneak to the middle and I can't move her ..she weighs 80 pounds. Someday I will have an Irish Wolfhound and he will have his own bed :)