Wer spricht hier deutsch?

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
That happened to me with the portuguese language when I was living in the US. I remember once, when I was setting the table, I couldn't, for the life of me, remember the word for knife. I actually had to say "knife" and ask what the portguese equivalent was (I'm portuguese).

MoLoLu

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bilingual american and live in switzerland. I can relate to the forgetting word issue. Sometimes I'll be standing in front of someone, say a word, then forget what word it was 10 seconds later and actually have to ask them what the word in german is for whatever. Worse is starting in german and end up speaking english without even noticing. Happens when I chat with people a lot because I do all my internal monologue in english.

p.s. I don't think it's alzheimers, I'm 21 and have the same issue and I grew up speaking both languages since I was something like 6 months old.

When it comes to writing, I hate german. My mind does not agree with the language's comlex structure. English grammar frustrates me from time to time, german grammar drives me insane. Love speaking german though, both the swiss (expects to get crusified in short order) and german version. I often find it's easier to express certain things in german than in english for whatever reason. Descriptions are a good example.

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Hiya!

"Scheiße" sounds a lot worse to my ears than "shit", "ficken" a lot less classy and acceptable than "fuck".
hahaha. Ich bin aus Amerika aber war in das Deutsche ballett (Nuernberg) und zu mir, scheiße klingt besser. Glaube mir, alle beide war oft gesprochen!

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Speaking of dialects: here is a sweet, lovely, sad and funny song in Plattdeutsch, sung by Constantin Wecker and Hannes Wader. It's actually quite easy to understand; however, I couldn't find the lyrics anywhere on the net. I first heard it many years ago, and it made me quite norstalgic. It actually sounds a bit Austrian:

Dat du min leevsten büst

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Hey, I found the lyrics! Except, in the version I posted, they sing a second verse, and that is Bayrisch -- so I was on the right track.
Pfüat di!

Gorgeous! :)

Dat du min Leevsten büst
dat du woll weeß
Kumm bi de Nacht
kumm bi de Nacht
segg wo du heeßt

Kumm du um Middernacht
kumm du Klock een
Vader slöpt, Moder slöpt,
ick slap alleen

Klopp an de Kammerdör
fat an de Klink
Vader meent, Moder meent,
dat deit de Wind

Kumm denn de Morgenstund,
kreiht de ol Hahn.
Leevster min, Leevster min,
denn mößt du gahn.

Last edited:

midnightpumpkin

Registered
Reaction score
hmmm.... no one else?
well : *waves* hellooo :)

i'm german, i'm (kind of, sort of, maybe?) a writer... or at least getting there :)

greetings to germany :)

midnightpumpkin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm both!

Hello :)

So do you guys write in German or in English?

I do pretty much all my writing in English, but that's probably because it is my day to day language. These days I only speak German when I talk to family or go visit...

Alexandermerow

Registered
Reaction score
So do you guys write in German or in English?

I write in German, but I have also translated two of my books. Sonst sind keine Germanen hier, oder was?;) Kein deutscher Autor, der sich in diesem Forum mal umsieht?

midnightpumpkin

Registered
Reaction score
I write in German, but I have also translated two of my books. Sonst sind keine Germanen hier, oder was?;) Kein deutscher Autor, der sich in diesem Forum mal umsieht?

Naja... zwei hast Du ja schon gefunden :)
Ist doch gar nicht so schlecht fuer ein englischsprachiges Forum. Wenn man bedenkt, dass das Schreiben in verschiedenen Sprachen ganz andere Fragen aufwirft, werden sich die meisten, die Deutsch schreiben, wohl eher an deutschsprachige Foren halten...

(Well, you've already found two :)
Not bad for an english speaking forum, considering that most who write in German, will look for German forums, as writing in different languages will bring up different questions and processes...)

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I write (plot etc.) in German, but I text in English sometimes. Writing a weekly webcomic that usually goes online in English first, I text the dialogue at the last notice in the language I need first, then translate it whenever I need the other version.

Und manchmal mache ich einen deutschen Comic, für den ich einen tollen englischen, aber keinen deutschen Titel habe.

Alexandermerow

Registered
Reaction score
Dein Comic-Blog sieht ja nicht schlecht aus. Den schaue ich mir mal genauer an. Doch, für ein englischsprachiges Forum ist das nicht übel ;) Schreibst du auch Bücher?

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Dein Comic-Blog sieht ja nicht schlecht aus. Den schaue ich mir mal genauer an. Doch, für ein englischsprachiges Forum ist das nicht übel ;) Schreibst du auch Bücher?

Danke!

Bücher schreibe ich (bisher) nicht, nur Artikel, Blogs und hin und wieder Flash Fiction. Das Problem ist, dass mir alles, was ich in Prosa schreibe, im Vergleich mit den Comics so lang und umständlich vorkommt. Also wird es immer kürzer, und am Ende kommt entweder doch ein Comic raus oder Flash- und Twitterfiktion.

Last edited:

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
Ich reih' mich auch mal ein. :)

Huhu!

mucde

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not German (Brit), but have lived in Munich for the last eight years.

I'm getting close to finishing my first story and thinking about the next steps (probably ebook via Kindle, etc.).

I'm guessing that I need to apply for a Freiberuflich Steuernummer from the Finanzamt as a Schriftsteller.

Does anyone remember the name of the form I need to fill out?

Vielen Dank!!

midnightpumpkin

Registered
Reaction score
Doch, für ein englischsprachiges Forum ist das nicht übel ;) Schreibst du auch Bücher?

Also ich schreibe hauptsaechlich Flash und Shorts, habe aber vor kurzem mein erstes Buch angefangen.... meine Guete...
da hat Max schon recht.... das ist um einiges aufwaendiger, als die kurzen Geschichten... und publizieren ist wesentlich unwahrscheinlicher... aber ich will es wenigstens mal versucht haben :)

mucde

Registered
Reaction score
It's called "Fragebogen zur steuerlichen Erfassung" and looks like this.
However, you'll have to apply first anyway (which can even be done via phone, I think) and the Finanzamt will send the form to you.

Thank you very much Cai!

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
@mucde: I called the Finanzamt, and they just told me to drop by and fill in the form right there. No problems.

Except, they copied only one of those two pages for me, and I forgot what I actually registered as. It was a number of things, including graphic and web designer, writer, obviously comic artist and other things I do, but I don't remember exactly which ones. So now every year I write something else in my tax declaration - whatever describes last year's work best.

Quartz

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not German but I am a Brit living in Germany. Having to move here and not speaking the language has been a bit of a problem but I'm slowly picking it up.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
There is actually already a German thread in the International District... here,

But for now, welcome all you new Germans!
I am (naturalised) German, English native language, liveed 30 years in Germany, now living in the UK but returning to Germany end of this month.

Last edited:

mucde

Registered
Reaction score
@mucde: I called the Finanzamt, and they just told me to drop by and fill in the form right there. No problems.

Except, they copied only one of those two pages for me, and I forgot what I actually registered as. It was a number of things, including graphic and web designer, writer, obviously comic artist and other things I do, but I don't remember exactly which ones. So now every year I write something else in my tax declaration - whatever describes last year's work best.

Thank you Max. Sorry for the delay in responding. That is very helpful. I am already registered as an IT Freelancer and that was far more complicated, requiring business plan, etc., so knowing that you can just drop in and fill out the form is great news.