Robert Fletcher's Lawsuit Against Writer Beware Ruled Frivolous

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Hello, Folks!

I have very good news. Please go to Writer Beware's blog Writer Beware's Blog to read our official announcement about the final outcome in the defamation lawsuit Robert Fletcher brought against Victoria and me.

Back in February of 2008, Robert Fletcher sought to muzzle Writer Beware by attempting to bring a gag order against Victoria and me. This attempt was accompanied by a lawsuit, accusing Writer Beware of libel and defamation against Mr. Fletcher and his companies.

Under advice of counsel, Victoria and I said nothing about this to anyone online, until we had received official rulings that were matters of public record. Fletcher, on the other hand, bragged to any author who questioned him about Writer Beware's warnings that he was about to receive a "summary judgment" against us, and that Writer Beware would be forced to acknowledge our "lies."

For over a year, Victoria and I have been working with our Attorney in Boston, giving him (literally) large boxes of documentation regarding Robert Fletcher and his many aliases, companies, and activities aimed at separating writers from their hard-earned money.

During that time, Mr. Fletcher consistently defamed US, claiming we had never earned any money as writers, that we were doing all this because he refused to represent or publish us, implying that we were nothing but jealous cranks trying to cause trouble for a successful company that had scorned us.

Well, on July 31, 2009, Judge Thomas E. Connolly, Justice of the Superior Court in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, ruled that Fletcher's case was "frivolous" and further ordered that Fletcher had to pay our attorney fees and court costs.

And, what's even more significant, to those considering signing on with Mr. Fletcher, after reviewing the evidence, Judge Connolly wrote (after describing Fletcher's agenting and publishing operations), "Basically, Fletcher and LAG (he means the Literary Agency Group) were running a fraud by charging fees for all services while falsely giving hope to the authors that Fletcher and LAG would find a publisher for their book."

Interesting, yes?

Please read the judgment for yourselves, and Victoria's article on the blog page.

A victory for writers worldwide! (And yes, we've gotten complaints and inquires about Mr. Fletcher's claims and operations from writers in Australia, Finland, Israel, and many other companies. Even Nigeria.)

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Robert Fletcher's Lawsuit Against Writer Beware Ruled Frivoloous

Ann and I got good news today: the lawsuit launched against us by Robert Fletcher in February 2008, which was dismissed with prejudice in March 2009, has just been ruled frivolous, and Fletcher has been ordered to pay our attorneys' fees and expenses.

Here's my blog post about the ruling.

Here's a PDF of the ruling.

Here's Writer Beware's Alert about Fletcher and his many companies.

Needless to say, we're thrilled with the outcome of this case.

- Victoria

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
YAY! :banana::PartySmil:TheWave:

It's good to see the deserving being hoist on his own petard and hit where it hurts him the most, in the bankbook.

Bobby, it's time to get a real job and stop leeching off hopeful writers.

:e2woo:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
woo-HOOO!!! Congratulations, Writer Beware! (And especially Ann and Vic)

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo! :hooray::snoopy::partyguy:

Ann and Victoria, many thanks for being willing to keep putting up with this kind of shit to help writers everywhere. You're the goodest of the good guys. :Hug2:

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Ann and Victoria! I'll echo Scribhneoir about you two being the "goodest of the good guys." Working so hard to help others puts you way above. Thank you.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
(((((((((YOU BOTH))))))))

Thank you for your tireless work and for being a beacon in the sometimes dark world of publishing. I know your site has repelled untold amounts of heartache. My hat is off to each of you. A job well done.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!!! That's wonderful news. :hooray::snoopy::partyguy:

Thanks to you both for all your hard work and patience.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe the term I'm looking for is

O frabjous day!

Maryn, glad and relieved for you both