Robert Fletcher's Lawsuit Against Writer Beware Ruled Frivolous

LexiCan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well thank God, one of the chief sleazes finally got it!
Congrats to both of you, and thanks from the whole writing community I'm sure!

Saltier

Small towns fuel escapism
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to the three of you then :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I am so very pleased to hear about this. Congratulations to Ann, Victoria and James for this triumph. And I was particularly interested to read the judge's opinion that Fletcher's business practices are fraudulent. It's good to have it confirmed!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is truly excellent news! Congrats!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading the PDF of the judge's findings which is now up on Writer Beware, and I find this part absolutely chilling:

The plaintiff, Robert Fletcher, sent multiple e-mails to both defendants, Crispin and Strauss threatening them both with physical harm and threatening them with this lawsuit. In fact, in two of his e-mails, he indicated that his purpose was not to prevail in the lawsuit but just to bankrupt the defendants, Crispin and Strauss.

So for the past year and a half, Ann and Victoria have not only had to deal with the stress of this lawsuit, they've been receiving from Robert Fletcher multiple threats of physical harm and have been taunted with bankruptcy if they continue with their duties at Writer Beware. Not only have they continued warning writers like us about fraudsters like him, they've done it with grace and style and have never once let it be known what they were facing.

Ann and Victoria: we owe you so much. Thank you. For this and everything else you do at Writer Beware (and particularly for the blog, which I find absolutely fascinating--it's a brilliant resource).

rejectME

Registered
Reaction score
Is it wrong to post that PDF file link to AEG's Facebook page?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with that at all. It's all in the interests of full disclosure, after all.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
If they've received threats of physical harm, then those threats should be turned over to the authorities for prosecution under criminal laws.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Don't forget the Jim Macdonald was also on the receiving end of Fletcher's...not-so-kind attention.

Matter of fact, Robert Fletcher tried to blackmail both Jim Macdonald and me. Nice guy.

-Ann C. Crispin

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Oh, hooray!! What fantastic news for the three of you and all the writers who have yet to be spared heartache because of your incredible work.

:partyguy: Congratulations!

rejectME

Registered
Reaction score
I will say that I posted it for several reasons - not as an "in your face" type thing at all, but rather as a warning to the writers there who are paying money to this guy for any one of the services. These people deserve a heads up.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Well, that depends on whether a prosecutor thinks blackmail, threats, use of false identities for fraudulent purposes, and fraud are enough to warrant placing criminal charges. Let's hope so. ;)

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

From someone who dealt with Robert Fletcher

still alive

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's nice to see the good guys win sometimes! I hope legal fees and court costs from all sides bury him once and for all.

Great heartening news.
Still alive

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Great news! Congratulations to AC and Vic, and I'm heartened the 'good guys' prevailed.
:snoopy:

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
If they've received threats of physical harm, then those threats should be turned over to the authorities for prosecution under criminal laws.

If those threats were made via email or any internet method, I would suggest contacting the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Under Florida law, any internet crime falls under our jurisdiction if either the suspect or the victim is in Florida. If Fletcher sent his threats from our state, he's our meat.