The Wardrobe

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Snow is one of the things I missed the most about the States after we returned to Portugal. At least you've seen the ocean, Max. I think that has got to be one of the most amazing experiences on this Earth, simple and commonplace as it may sound.

I never noticed how commonplace it was until I met an old cranky man who have never seen the ocean. Funny thing, since he lived in a small island. He simply answered "bah, I have seen pictures of it and doesn't seem so great!"

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I remember always wishing to write the great American novel, hasn't happened yet, though. Does an e-book count? :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I was so very taken with portal stories -- you know the ones, right? The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe for example. As a result, I spent rather a lot of time exploring the insides of the wardrobe in my parents' room, coat closets, oversized boxes and the insides of cupboards, hoping fervently to find a portal of my own.

Yep. I was a weird little kid.

What did you cross your fingers and wish hard for, as children?

So I wasn't the only kid burrowing through every closet and wardrobe to find Narnia.:)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Snow.

I even asked baby Jesus for it, I am almost 20 years old and I still haven't seen snow.

I have seen far too much snow in my life, and most of it fell on us this past January and February. We had twelve-foot drifts, had to walk home through feet of snow (our youngest was only 9 at the time and the snow was waist-deep for him in places), our water pipes froze and we had two months of rubbish piled up because the collection van couldn't get through.

I think snow's over-rated.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Ah HAH!! So this is how people got through! Mystery solved! ^_^

And, I never looked for a portal exactly, but I was always hoping to stumble upon faeries in the woods or fields. I was (and still am. I'm never growing up, never I tell you!) always fascinated by faery rings and the possibilities they presented, so I guess that's a sort of portal.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
when I was a kid I had a dream that there was a hidden room beneath the stairs but I was so convinced it was real, I looked for it all the time. I still remember what the rug looked like and the way the room smelled from that dream.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To fly!

(Yep, I always wanted to fly)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
We had this remote closet way down in the basement living room near where we kids had to play. There were all sorts of Grecian urns stacked against one wall inside the closet. This never interested me, for some reason, but a little boy moved in who came over, and my sister and I would make him play Wonder Woman with us.

I kept telling him we were really Amazons, too.

After a few weeks of this, I tried to think of a superpower to pull out to prove it. My superpower-gathering experiments hadn't paid off yet, so I remembered the urns.

Oh, yes I did ;)

If you ever meet a guy who swears up and down that he saw the urn-covered doorway to the portal to Wonder Woman's homeland, tell him hi for me :D

Amb the Creative

Registered
Reaction score
This is going to sound rather ridiculous...

But as a child, my mom would tell me that the brain could do anything. Like if you can convince it strong enough, it can do anything you wish it to.

So...I tried to convince my brain that I should have wings XD. I would stand in front of a mirror and tried to picture having wings as strongly as I could.

...unfortunately, no results. Sigh. lol

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I am on the road for a long trip I look out over the passing landscape and try to see the dinosaurs coming up over the next hill. To think they really roamed the planet at one time....amazing. I have done this my whole life. :evil

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
To fly!

(Yep, I always wanted to fly)

Ditto :D

I think I wished for the occasional portal, but more often I imagined dragons landing on my street or in the park, and flying me away to a magical dragon-land :)

Kuroyagi

Emperor of dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bromios.blogspot.com
When I was a kid, I was so very taken with portal stories -- you know the ones, right? The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe for example. As a result, I spent rather a lot of time exploring the insides of the wardrobe in my parents' room, coat closets, oversized boxes and the insides of cupboards, hoping fervently to find a portal of my own.

Maybe only for the next bread with sausages and mayonnaise, I had quite a good childhood you know. But I was actually a bit disappointed by the content of this thread because I thought it to be about clothes (I like clothes and aesthetics).

To be more on topic I think that portals are important, I have also made one via a path through a wood in one of my first stories and thereby have inserted myself into the realms of the fantastic. There is also a dokodemo doa (a door to anywhere) in a Japanese anime and manga called Doraemon AFAICR...

Abi26

Open the way...writers on the road!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi

Mega dittoes. I also dreamed of being able to travel in time. Back and forward. I dreamed about moving westward, like Laura Ingalls Wilder (we got to take a trip to a pioneer village in third grade -- I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!), or traveling on the Enterprise, to other worlds, on a ship where no one was poor or wanting anything material at all.

I always imagined that in another time, I'd be a better, more interesting version of myself, lol.

Everyday you are a better version of your self. No matter how bad it seems sometimes! You're always improving, even if it looks different.
These can be the subject of a whole novel: A character doesn't get how he is improving always, he is always wrapped in puzzles about his self version!

Have a good day!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I must be the biggest freak here... as a kid I didn't wish to *see* dinosaurs... I wished I *was* a dinosaur.

I wanted to be a velociraptor. Strange, considering I didn't really like eating meat.

LGwenn

Rollin' Boulders, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to talk to animals. And then I was going to go live with them far far away from my crazy family.

cyanz

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm yes I read the first harry potter shortly before my 11th birthday, and knew it wasn't really going to happen, but maybe... just maybe... there might be a Hogwarts letter in the letterbox for me... My parents must have wondered why I was so eager to check the mail.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com

I wanted to be telekinetic and omniscient too. For a while, I wanted more than anything to be a shape-shifter and be able to speak to other species (including plants.) I also wanted it never to be 6:30 am on weekdays during the school year. From among my childish wishes, I still want peace on Earth.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score

I have a vivid memory of climbing up on a picnic table and jumping off, over and over again, certain that one of those times, if I just tried hard enough, it would happen.

And I was always looking for unicorns.

Writer5

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
It's waaaaay sad that I wasn't an imaginative kid. Now I'm good enough to turn my memoirs into works of fiction.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I have a vivid memory of climbing up on a picnic table and jumping off, over and over again, certain that one of those times, if I just tried hard enough, it would happen.

And I was always looking for unicorns.

When I was terribly little -- 3 and a half -- I thought I could do anything people could do. We watched the trapeze artists in a circus on TV one night. The next day, I pictured myself in the sparkly silver bathing suit, on the trapeze, out on our playset in the backyard. I knew I didn't have a partner, but I'd seen gymnastics, too, where folks land on the ground. I broke my arm so badly! And still figured that I just needed more practice :D

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
For me, it's paths: through the woods, between buildings, ones where it's impossible to tell how they wind, or where they end. The ones you never go down because you're going somewhere else, or you're on a bus, or it would be silly to just 'go' for no reason. One of them is the path to somewhere special, the 'road less travelled' and we all just walk right past.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Old abandoned churches, barns, sheds and shacks, which were everywhere when I was a child. (Even the churches.) I broke into a shut-up church as a child and played in it for weeks with my cousins, sister and friends. Then we rang the bell in the bell tower.

Unfortunately my grandfather lived across the street and was the church caretaker; he had the keys, came in, caught us and told us to never go inside it again. He never told our parents either. I only told my mother about it as an adult.

But for a few weeks that church was Narnia, it was outer space, it was the 1800's, it was Oz. It had a raised pulpit for the pastor, and hymnals and Bibles had been left in place on the backs of the pews. It had a stage in the cellar and a working kitchen, but had been closed up for almost twenty years. The bell was tied down by ropes and we cut through them to ring the darn thing.

I used the same church as backdrop for one of my short stories.

My grandmother also lived in an old house (built in 1888) with a staircase that led down to nowhere; I still think about that staircase sometimes. It scared and fascinated me. My inlaws lived in a house built in 1690. It had cupboards that led to secret, hidden closets, and passageways linking it to a newer (circa early 1800's) house. I think about that house, too.