Painting for Children's Book?

ColdWintersNight

Registered
Reaction score
So I figured, eh, why not. But if anyone would want to team up for a collaboration in writing for children, I would be more than happy to paint some drawings for you. I'm currently writing my own epic novel, but from time to time I just spend the day drawing. But I've been thinking for months now about drawing a children's book. Nothing too grand, but shoot, my friend just landed a super random deal with Marvel (of ALL places) to publish her little kid book. It's a SUPER simply drawn dinosaur that tries to put on his shoes? I dunno. But then I thought, if she could do that, so could I.

Sound interesting or fun to anyone? Let me know! Let's create something memorable and pretty!

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I don't think most agents take on author/illustrator combos. Usually, you only include illustrations with a query if you drew them yourself. Once they sell your book, the publisher finds an illustrator for you.

I'm guessing that's what your friend did.

It's possible a small publishing house might--I'm not really in the know when it comes to PBs.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I figured, eh, why not. But if anyone would want to team up for a collaboration in writing for children, I would be more than happy to paint some drawings for you. I'm currently writing my own epic novel, but from time to time I just spend the day drawing. But I've been thinking for months now about drawing a children's book. Nothing too grand, but shoot, my friend just landed a super random deal with Marvel (of ALL places) to publish her little kid book. It's a SUPER simply drawn dinosaur that tries to put on his shoes? I dunno. But then I thought, if she could do that, so could I.

Sound interesting or fun to anyone? Let me know! Let's create something memorable and pretty!

It's great that you are feeling the urge to be creative in new ways, and I hope you find it fun and fulfilling.

But, as MJWare said, most publishers only want illustrations with a PB submission is the same person created both. While sometimes an established, professional illustrator will be discussed ahead of time, it's really rare for a publisher to take on a pb when both the writer and illustrator are unknown.

Also, I'd caution you against thinking just because something appears to be simple, that means it is easy. There is a lot that goes into professional level illustration, especially when the illustrations are character-centric and simple in design -- including consistency of character and expressive illustrations. I have seen a number of very talented artists struggle to break into illustration because they have difficulty creating the same character over and over, in different situations, showing consistency, and movement and emotion.

It's great if you find your talents are well-suited to illustration, but I see many people think something that appears simple is easy, when it can be even more difficult than complex illustrations. Take some time and really examine some simply illustrated books, similar to your style. And work on consistency in your illustrations.

good luck!

~suki

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We'd be glad to help you write a simple little PB story of your own. Then you could illustrate it, either as an experiment or just for your own enjoyment or, who knows, for possible publication. Then you could decide how much further you want to pursue illustrating children's books.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If you're looking to be an illustrator, an online portfolio is a good thing to have. Once I'm done with A-level, that's what I'm going to be working on. The general advice is to go for a fairly consistent style, pick your best/favourite media style, and show a range of characters. So do the same character with different expressions, different characters, some scenes... show you can tackle a lot of different stuff.

Whatever you end up doing, people are going to want to see samples. It might also bring up opportunities you didn't know existed (like you sell a novel, and they note you're into illustration so would you like to write/illustrate a picture book too... odd things happen sometimes).

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Seconding, as a creator of illustrated children's books, that you really really only do illustrations when hired by the publisher, unless you're also the author.

But I also second the suggestion to write your own and illustrate it! It's a great learning experience and totally worth doing at least once.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
We'd be glad to help you write a simple little PB story of your own. Then you could illustrate it, either as an experiment or just for your own enjoyment or, who knows, for possible publication. Then you could decide how much further you want to pursue illustrating children's books.

This is basically how the "Clifford" books began. If I remember correctly, the author originally just wanted to do illustrations and shopped around his portfolio of assorted drawings. Someone suggested he might have better luck if he wrote a story as well. He chose a drawing of a little girl and a giant dog, wrote a story about them, and voila! Clifford was born.

ETA: I'm super-jealous that you can draw. I'd love to illustrate my own work. I've tried a couple of times, but the awesome pictures in my mind turn into "utterly-godawful-and-need-to-be-put-out-of-their-misery doodles."

Last edited: