How should this be queried?

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I was thinking of how I might put my older middle grade through a second draft. I'm wondering, would a middle grade student be able to place themselves in the shoes of a thirteen to eighteen year old MC?

I'm starting to regret plotting it as three books, as it's going to make it even harder to query.

I still think of it as middle grade Portal Fantasy. But then I've never written about decapitation, gunshots, and quartering in a middle grade novella before. (I've had plenty of references to decapitation though, which I don't really have a problem with.)

That's three 10,000 word books.

I guess I'll hit the library and see what I find. And of course Horror is different from Portal Fantasy in many ways. I used to mainly read stuff like Blood And Chocolate and Goosebumps, none of which are Portal Horror. Horror, but not Portal Horror.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Can you describe the plot a tad more? You have portions that make it sound like it wouldn't be MG.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
As it stands now: When a boarding school runaway almost commits suicide, he is brought back to life as a cyborg befriending a prostitute and a drug dealer. He seeks the meaning of life in the world of the “Meadow Of Gold”. But a dream-scanner working with the secret police, has other plans in store, seeking to find out how they opened a portal to another universe.

That's as simplistic as I could describe the plot.:p That's the only book of the length close to pitching as anything.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you think this is MG, not YA?

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
That's the part I'm unsure, this was the one I originally intended as early YA, with sort of a back and forth between MG and YA in various incarnations over the years.

I think it's more I ordinarily think of myself as a MG writer, so writing a YA on an extreme off chance feels extremely weird. Sort of like the needle in a huge haystack.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Sort of like the needle in a huge haystack.

MG and YA are both under children's fiction. You're more like hay in a haystack as appose to a M/M erotica author writing picture books.

While the setup--as running away, and portal fantasy--sounds MG, the elements you described seem to be border-lining MG and YA--YA mostly because of the violent, darker nature of the elements. Early YA might be the way to go, methinks.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I'll try YA then. Thanks a bunch.

It does give me some thought though, I know I've always wanted to try young adult portal fantasy. I guess I'll find some to compare at the library that are current.

Then back to stuff like Flying School House, hopefully.XD

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There's not much in the way of current YA portal fantasy, to be honest. But from what you described here, I agree that it sounds older than MG. Your age range is a little bit of a problem. 13 is upper MG/younger YA, but 18 is definitely upper YA. Is one of these the MC? I'm not sure the darker elements are even going to work for younger YA, but they'd work for older YA.

From your word count (I think?), you either have three 10K short stories or one 30K novella? Is that true? It may be better to check out what is selling as YA at that length (novellas are probably e-books), although I always encourage reading widely in the YA market if you intend to write in it :)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
First off, kids read up, so a 13yo protag isn't a big deal. Secondly, why not just merge the 10K books into one 30K novel? 30K is perfectly acceptable for MG, and by the time you finished editing, it can probably grow to 35K.

Also, since it's fantasy, I believe the word count is low anyway, and its seems to me that it can use a bit of world-building.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Well it reads like a an anime series. By that I mean, it's three 10K novelettes, but it's more like: Saga 1, Saga 2, Saga 3.

Not sure if that's making sense. Are YA novellas selling in ebook? I might look there I guess. This book was a bit accidental.:p

It is making my questioning if the others are really MG, I know people read up up to a point.

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds YA to me too.

Good luck with your research into the markets.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Just something I noticed, and probably why I've often found my work difficult to categorize: the plots are often about reclaiming lost youth, as suppose to growing up.

Sort of like a coming of age in reverse.