Should I change my dragon for something else?

GigiF

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading an agents profile the other day and she expressed 'no dragons'.

I assume as a result of Smaug in the hobbit movies every kids book suddenly has a dragon in it?

For the record I added a dragon from my first draft some 4 years ago. :)

But the species of the character isn't actually that important in my MS. So I've been considering changing the character to something else.

I did a test run on my daughter with a short rewrite using the new character and she really liked it. Although she also said she really liked the dragon character too.

Any thoughts?

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
I don't know if it's Smaug--there's a LOT of dragons out there. (And I say this as someone who's written twelve MG books about a dragon protagonist to date!)

When my agent was pitching the first of the series, in 2006, we got "We already bought a dragon book this month" from two publishers. So it's not unique to this agent.

That said, I don't know if I'd necessarily change it out because of one agent's guidelines--tweaking the manuscript before a request for rewrites is always dicey.

That wasn't very helpful, was it?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If it doesn't need to be a dragon, what does it need to be? What creature makes for the best story? That's the creature you need to use.

If it doesn't matter, what event would make the species matter?

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Not to mention that "no dragons" might be in response to some cliche that's been coming up a lot recently, and not to dragons as a species. (Not to encourage anyone to send a dragonish MS to an agent that specifically doesn't want it!)

My point being that it's not always worth it to change the ms for agents.

GigiF

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all.

Thing is I am very worried about the idea that my MS will be rejected because they 'already bought a dragon book this month'. If I can make my story stand out a little more by changing the dragon into a different creature, a more unusual creature, then that goes away completely no?

Don't get me wrong, I do get the fact that it's a risky thing to do (and I'm a little worried it's a knee jerk reaction) but it really doesn't matter to the main story - it's the events that surround that character that matter.

I originally made it a dragon because I like them and I felt children would like to read a dragon character in the story. But if they're getting too much dragon, then maybe they'll enjoy reading about a new species more?

And I have to say that, I quite like the new character I'm replacing him with. :) I also think he'll be easier to write action based description for too.

I'll sit on the idea for a while longer and see if anyone else offers more advice but at the moment I am leaning towards ditching the dragon.
:)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I'll sit on the idea for a while longer and see if anyone else offers more advice but at the moment I am leaning towards ditching the dragon.

I think, regardless of what that one agent says, if the new character is more interesting, fresher, and makes writing easier... then I'd just go with the new character.

In regards to the agent, I wouldn't make major changes in your story to satisfy what one agent says on a blog. Yeah, there are a lot of dragon stories. Is your story a "dragon story" though? If you can easily change the species out, I'm not sure I would say it is. I mean, there are "vampire stories" and then, there are stories where one character happens to be a vampire.

As with all trends, though, if it's got a solid, awesome, unique spin, there are agents who will look past the dragon. There are also agents who aren't yet repping a "dragon story" and might be interested in yours.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm confused about why they're a dragon in the first place if it doesn't seem to affect the story that much.

I changed one of my characters from human to android, 'cause I thought it'd add to the conflict. It changed the story a lot. Species changes are not something to be taken lightly.

Besides, if the agent doesn't want a dragon story, they might not be right for the story at all, even if you do change it.

Turhan

Someone
Registered
Reaction score
You could try using a Griffin, that's what I did in my book and look where that got me! lol

Google it and check out the images. It's a mythical eagle and lion, dragon type creature that might be a nice twist to your book.

Last edited:

GigiF

Registered
Reaction score
Is your story a "dragon story" though? If you can easily change the species out, I'm not sure I would say it is. I mean, there are "vampire stories" and then, there are stories where one character happens to be a vampire.

This is definitely a story where one character is a dragon - it is not a 'dragon story'.

However I work in an industry (games) where the people who make the decisions do not understand that subtle difference so it worries me.

GigiF

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm confused about why they're a dragon in the first place if it doesn't seem to affect the story that much.

I changed one of my characters from human to android, 'cause I thought it'd add to the conflict. It changed the story a lot. Species changes are not something to be taken lightly.

Besides, if the agent doesn't want a dragon story, they might not be right for the story at all, even if you do change it.

Yeh I think you're right. But I've pretty much convinced myself now tbh. LOL. The fact that the change seems to have injected a unique quality to the character has pushed me over the edge. :)

GigiF

Registered
Reaction score
You could try using a Griffin, that's what I did in my book and look where that got me! lol

Google it and check out the images. It's a mythical eagle and lion, dragon type creature that might be a nice twist to your book.

I considered a griffon as it would be very similar but when I stumbled across the animal I've gone with (I'm not telling yet) it just ticks boxes.

Plus the bad guys already have a griffon or two in their ranks. :)

GigiF

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to reply. I'm pretty much convinced its a change for the good and am going with it.

Hopefully the Gods of writing will guide my hand.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I considered a griffon as it would be very similar but when I stumbled across the animal I've gone with (I'm not telling yet) it just ticks boxes.

Plus the bad guys already have a griffon or two in their ranks. :)

I'm super curious what animal you chose!

Good luck with the story -- it sounds like it'll be really cool.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I originally bought Game of Thrones because there was a dragon on the cover (this was before GoT became a popular television show). I also got another book last month because there's a dragon on the cover. Can't remember what that's called. But, who cares. There's a dragon on the cover.

Don't take out the dragons because of one agent. There are lots of agents out there. Some of them probably love dragons. And if they do, then they probably know an editor at a publishing house that feels the same, who is looking for a new dragon book done in a unique and interesting way.

And, if the agent you're referring to is Janet Reid, the "No Dragons" rule is probably directed at me. It used to just say, "No Jed."

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
:roll: I don't know, but every time I see this thread I imagine you taking out a Craigslist ad, offering to swap your dragon for some sort of mythical beast that is more in tune with current pop culture.

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Agents know everything.

or is it, "Nobody knows Nuthin' ?

I forget. Thinking of setting up all 'boy' band - young guys who can dance (singing is not too important), they'll all be good-looking, of course.

Think it might work?

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
here's a rule to live by: don't change your story for someone who hasn't read it. Except if you have Jed in your story. No Jed.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There is not enough Jed in the world. When I met him I did my best to change that by feeding him bacon sandwiches but still. We need MOAR JED.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a dragon and he stays because the story needs him.

henmatth

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
A dragon ... it's like completing a fairy tale.
Keep the dragon ... add interesting characters.
If your daughter likes it, she's honest.
Take it from a child.
Other kids might like it as well.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Your daughter loves you and may love everything you do or not want to disappoint you, but it's your story. Write it the way you like it.