Children's Writer's & Artist's Online Toolkit

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Online resources for authors and illustrators of children's books (I would have called it Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Online Toolkit but the publishers of Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market probably wouldn't like it).

Please add only links to online market listings, traditional (royalty-paying or work-for-hire) publishers, submission guidelines web pages, etc.

NO spam. NO personal messages to individual members (use PM and Email for that). NO print-on-demand or vanity publishers.

Aside from that, have at it! :)

Last edited:

JoeEkaitis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WritersMarket.com (subscription)
Every entry from the paper edition of Writer's Market including children's book markets, continuously updated. $3.99 a month or $29.99 a year, and no big thick book to recycle at the end of the year.

The Children's Book Council Member List (free)
Listings for publishers who are members of the Children's Book Council with brief submission guidelines and links to publishers' web sites.

Jane Yolen Official Web Site
(free)
Official website of the world's most prolific and most published children's author. Jane shares her writing and non-writing life, and answers email questions in her online Journal.

Last edited:

JoeEkaitis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dictionary.com

Bookmark it! I don't want to see "definately" ever again!

Thesaurus.com

And I mean that in the most absolute, accented, assertive, assured, categorical, certain, cogent, confident, decided, definite, definitive, determined, direct, distinct, dogmatic, dynamic, earnest, energetic, explicit, express, flat, forceful, forcible, important, impressive, insistent, insistive, marked, momentous, no mistake, pointed, positive, potent, powerful, pronounced, resounding, significant, sober, solemn, stressed, striking, strong, sure, telling, trenchant, unmistakable, vigorous and emphatic way!

Last edited:

JoeEkaitis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
William Shunn : Manuscript Format

Information so vital it deserves its own post.

You might think you're impressing an editor with a manuscript set in single-spaced fully justified Times New Roman 12-point with Garamond Italic headers and Palatino Linotype page numbers centered between frilly dingbats. All you're really doing is showing how little you know.

When a publisher doesn't give guidelines on fonts, line spacing, margins or headers, follow Bill Shunn's advice. It won't guarantee publication but it will show the editor you know what you're doing and that your work deserves to be read and considered.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Soccer Mom said:
This link can answer questions of "How many words is this book and what age is the target?"

Renaissance Learning: Just type in the title and when it comes up, click on the books name.

http://www.renlearn.com/store/quiz_home.asp

How could I forget about that one? I refer to it a lot!

StorySue2003

BOOST4writers this is a web-based network site with articles, critique group sign-ups, forum boards, book and magazine publisher databases, and a great monthly ezine, The Blue Review with columns and articles dedicated only to the children's writer. The Blue Review also accepts submissions from children's writers on "how-to" articles and they are a paying market!

StorySue2003

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
An interview and other info from Margaret Mahy - prolific children's author and 2006 winner of the Hans Christian Andersen Award, the world's premier prize for children's writing. Often called the "Little Nobel", the award is given biennially by the International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY) to honour an author who has made a lasting contribution to international children's literature.

Kendra

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Talia

What a beautiful cat. Is s/he Russian Blue or British Blue? I love the little hat. ;-)

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Kendra, I don't know

A friend was using it as an avatar so I "borrowed" it. In other versions it is animated and the fingers of one paw are drumming the desk making the cat look impatient. I couldn't get the animation to work here - something to do with size of image, or maybe animated avatars aren't permitted here? not sure

it's a really cute picture isn't it?

JoeEkaitis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Put the whole country's card catalog in your browser!

WorldCat browser toolbars and plug-ins let you see if a library near you has the book you're looking for. After you find the book, you can type in your ZIP code for a list of libraries, even if the nearest copy is a library in another country.

Aksamit

Hello all, glad to be here!

I need help narrowing the list of credible agents who are accepting new children's authors (preschool demographic). If anyone knows of, or has, an agent that is taking submissions, please let me know. I've been bitten in the butt before by a shark claiming to be an agent (in a different genre), and this time thought I'd turn to the experts - other authors! Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Me

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
An AW member asked me to include Verla Kay's website on this sticky: www.verlakay.com. The site has some terrific, active forums specifically for children's writers, and most new information about children's publishers, agents, and the industry finds its way to verlakay's site first.
'

LynneKelly

I am procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lynnekellybooks.com
You can keep track of your submissions on the Querytracker site; it's also great for researching agents--who they represent, what genres they represent, contact information, etc. Most of the stuff is free, and there are some cool extra features for Premium members (for about $25/year, I think). Authors can post writing samples in a password-protected "author's showcase" that's viewable only by agents who the writer gives the password to. Nice for an e-query especially, so you can write "click here to read my first three chapters if you are interested," for example. And the site notifies you if an agent has viewed your showcase, so you can start the agonizing waiting game!

www.querytracker.net

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com